Nugget Shooter Forums

Here is some ore from an old mine I located.

Can anyone see anything interesting from the pic?

It looks very similar to the stuff from the Wing Mine, which had gold.

As usual, I appreciate the help I always get from this forum,

Patrick.....

post-23679-0-41483300-1309789949_thumb.j

Patrick,

You'd have to have it assayed to really find out the potential. Looking at the picture, my untrained eyes don't detect anything extra special from several other mining areas.

Paul

Paul [Antman] is right. Too speculative to judge solely on the basis of a photo, although superficially it looks like promising ore. There are a few things you can do, however, to add information. If you have a vlf detector, especially a GB2, see if any parts of that ore yield a zippy signal. If so, examine the sweet spots carefully with a magnifying lens [first wetting the surface with spit or water helps]. If no color is visible, then take a large super magnet and see if you get any attraction while the specimen is suspended from a string to rule out magnetite. A Falcon detector, if you have access to one, can give you some additional tone clues. Finally, just break off the most promising pieces, reduce them to near dust and pan it out very carefully -- perhaps after soaking the dust in oxalic acid or CLR for a day or two.

Dude! Patrick......Get a Mortar & Pestle or some other kind of crusher. You will have fun with it, as you can grab small samples when your out exploring, and test them at home. :miner:

Thanks guys. I'm heading out the door right now to go and collect some samples.

Is anyone familiar with the process of sending samples to the GPAA for assay? I think they offer one each for free?

A few sprinkles over here on the River this morning. What a nice change !! But it's still about 90.

Patrick.....

Thanks guys. I'm heading out the door right now to go and collect some samples.

Is anyone familiar with the process of sending samples to the GPAA for assay? I think they offer one each for free?

A few sprinkles over here on the River this morning. What a nice change !! But it's still about 90.

Patrick.....

Patrick,

I have never sent any ore to the GPAA for the free assay, but from what I've heard from others that have, it's not a true assay, but instead a "visual inspection" of the ore for any free gold, I think you could do just as well looking at it yourself.

Skip

Well I'm back from collecting samples. As you can tell by the time I was gone, the mine is not far from home.

While collecting samples like the one in the pic I posted earlier, I spotted a pile of another type of "deposit" Not knowing much about geology, I decided to collect all of this as well. To my pleasant surprise, it was much softer than the other pieces I had picked up, and there is no need for "crushing".

I was able to simply use my hands to reduce it to panning size. I really can't believe how lucky I am sometimes.

I haven't panned any of it as yet, as I am still trying to wash off the strange, and oddly familiar odor.

I will send a pic to see if any of you can help with identification/classification.

Patrick.....

Patrick,

There are three tests I know of for that type of deposit. Step on it, smell it, or taste it. I can vouch for the accuracy of the first two tests but haven't had the need to try the third one yet.

I have noticed that when you find one deposit of that sort there are usually more somewhere nearby, and they are mostly on the surface too!

Happy hunting (and watch your step!)

Paul

Here is another mine about a mile away.

Frank C has invited me up to his place to crush my ore samples, but we haven't gotten it done yet. Too damned hot to leave the house !!

post-23679-0-01144400-1310231010_thumb.j

post-23679-0-75054500-1310231045_thumb.j

post-23679-0-43151600-1310231118_thumb.j

post-23679-0-13885800-1310231178_thumb.j

post-23679-0-34971200-1310231283_thumb.j

post-23679-0-76599900-1310231374_thumb.j