Nugget Shooter Forums

Does this look like a good dredge pump?

I'm looking to start collecting parts to make my own small dredge, and figured I'd start with the expensive part. The pump/motor. I stumbled across this while google shopping. What do ya think? Any better options for a relatively inexpensive price?

http://www.amazon.com/Trash-Water-Pump-5-5-Engine/dp/B002W8GOPI

Thanks in advance!

I'm with E.D. with this one---while prospectors like to tinker and modify everything, doing so with the pump is bad news 99.9% of the time.

By the pump from Keene or Pro-line and then tinker with everything else if you must.

I would look for a complete dredge as here in cali you cant drdge legally so problably a lot for sale on the net on the cheap side.

A pump for a dredge has an impeller that has usually been modified to

push a heck of a lot more water than a pump like the one your asking about would be able to push.

That's what you want lots of water creating lot of suction.

A pump is the one thing not to skimp on with a dredge.

Well, there are other parts not to skimp on too, but that's a big one.

Flak

All the guys are right and this particular pump has an "O" ring that seals the 2 half's of the rotor casing together, when used with a restricted out flow high suction it will split the ring soon. Parts are available from China, the shaft size will not fit a US dredge pump and some of them have different bolt patterns. Real dredge pumps have a spring loaded-carbon ring shaft seal, 3/4" for up to 5 HP then 1" , when you need one take the old one to a good auto parts store, they can match it and you will save about $20, buy 2 while you are at it.

BTW: That is a clear water pump, NOT a trash pump, trash pump wont work either.

One of my Pay to Dig customers showed up last year with one that had 30 feet of 4" suction and a 3 1/2 HP B&S with a painting type compressor for dive air! These where being made and sold in OR, I told him to rush back and get his money and file charges but it was too late, they worked out of storage lockers and moved every Monday!

Good Luck

Max

BTW: That is a clear water pump, NOT a trash pump, trash pump wont work either.

Good Luck

Max

The one he linked to is a trash pump, easy to see the difference in the impeller housing design as well as read it in the description. You do not have to go to Keene to find a good centrifugal pump though. Many others make them, include looking for fire pumps to locate one.

I would hate to go to Keene for anything.

Their over-use of plastic and their cheap-o manufacturing methods

have let a lot of people down out in the boonies.

Maybe they're better now, but I will never patronize them.

My opinion.

Flak

Your'e right lotsa luck, I just didn't read the description where it says 5/8" solids .

I have 2 of the clear water units sitting on the neighborhood water-wagon that I used for hibanker pumps in 2010 and I remember the sticker says something about maximum solids size. The pumps on them are identical they are Harbor Freight specials, one is labeled Central Machinery and the engine is blue and white, the other says Honda, they are identical parts wise the Honda saying HONDA on the valve covers, the other saying 'HOT",

its too hot (107) to go look.

I had sold 2 more with different names on them but otherwise identical, bought one of them new from a Boise store similar to Tractor Supply and the other from a yard sale , it had a bad seal and the "O" ring was split, got an "0" ring from a multi-repair kit that worked. Got $200 for it as part of a high-banker deal. I rented out hi-bankers for $40 a day and had from 4 to 6 available at times if I used my 2 1/2" dredge pump , it would feed a Hi-banker 300' away and 10' higher but at an expense for gas!

It was fun but those pumps are tought to tote into some of those places if the ATV would not make it.

The one he linked to is a trash pump, easy to see the difference in the impeller housing design as well as read it in the description. You do not have to go to Keene to find a good centrifugal pump though. Many others make them, include looking for fire pumps to locate one.

Not good for any real dredge at ALL. Look for a centrifugal style pump, a trash pump will barley work for shallow stuff but does not have the pressure to really produce.

Thanks bud. Just the answer I was looking for.

I would look for a complete dredge as here in cali you cant drdge legally so problably a lot for sale on the net on the cheap side.

Genius! I'm headed down there on the 15th, to visit family. I'll start looking now, and hopefully (sadly) capitalize. That (no pun intended) really sucks!

I would hate to go to Keene for anything.

Their over-use of plastic and their cheap-o manufacturing methods

have let a lot of people down out in the boonies.

Maybe they're better now, but I will never patronize them.

My opinion.

Flak

Definitely something to keep in mind. I appreciate your input!

• 2 weeks later...

interesting topic im probably moving back east and i am thinking of setting up a small dredge. the keane pump is close to $700. and i cant see me getting the cash to get that its taking me over 2 weeks to get an ounce now dry washing and the weather is getting hotter so i only stay out in the heat for a max of 4 days now so its taking several 4 weeks to get an ounce and im plagued with very fine flour gold i cant to seem to get chunky gold lately.

i will have to get the 3 inch nozzle and the y thingy that generates the suction im going to use the dredge out of a pontoon boat in about 2 foot of water. so i will only have a few foot lift and about 15 feet of suction hose running into a river sluice with some kind of header box. my biggest problem is will i have enough 5 gallon buckets to put the gold in. LOL.

one thing i can say is that the hondaengine i use on my dry washer is 10 years old and worked a lot and it still runs fine.