Nugget Shooter Forums

Fragment recovery of a witnessed fall.

Hi everyone, new guy here, my name is Frank, and I have a few questions I hope I can get answered over time by whomever can answer them. I recently was able to locate and recover a 7.6gm fragment classified "H-5,impact melt brecciated, olivine, bronzite(var. enstatite), chondrite". The fall was witnessed on Oct. 17th. at approx.1300hrs. 1921 over the north eastern region of Michigan's lower penninsula. On the 18th., the next day 2 fragments were located, some time shortly later, a 3rd. specimen had been found. All, I believe had been turned over to a gentleman named "Edmund Otis Hovey" from the american museum of natural history. Ed had wrote 2 different papers on this aerolite,one published in 1922, and another in 1923. As far as I can tell, I am the first man to have recovered a 4th. specimen. I have a friend with the Mich. Geological Survey, and another friend at MSU in the dept. of geological sciences, but neither were able to help me determine an estimated value, and I'm hoping to get some kind of idea what this might be worth, not that it's for sale, because it's not. Thank you, most kindly to whomever offers some insight. :)

Hi everyone, new guy here, my name is Frank, and I have a few questions I hope I can get answered over time by whomever can answer them. I recently was able to locate and recover a 7.6gm fragment classified "H-5,impact melt brecciated, olivine, bronzite(var. enstatite), chondrite". The fall was witnessed on Oct. 17th. at approx.1300hrs. 1921 over the north eastern region of Michigan's lower penninsula. On the 18th., the next day 2 fragments were located, some time shortly later, a 3rd. specimen had been found. All, I believe had been turned over to a gentleman named "Edmund Otis Hovey" from the american museum of natural history. Ed had wrote 2 different papers on this aerolite,one published in 1922, and another in 1923. As far as I can tell, I am the first man to have recovered a 4th. specimen. I have a friend with the Mich. Geological Survey, and another friend at MSU in the dept. of geological sciences, but neither were able to help me determine an estimated value, and I'm hoping to get some kind of idea what this might be worth, not that it's for sale, because it's not. Thank you, most kindly to whomever offers some insight. :)

How do you know there associated? Could have been another.

"how do you know they are associated...", After 90 years that is a good and valid question...if you have a verified piece the value will be higher than if you have no verification...since it is not for sale what does the value matter???

One way to determine value would be e-bay with a very high reserve...high enough to sell if some collector made it worthwhile...

goood luck

fred

"how do you know they are associated...", After 90 years that is a good and valid question...if you have a verified piece the value will be higher than if you have no verification...since it is not for sale what does the value matter???

One way to determine value would be e-bay with a very high reserve...high enough to sell if some collector made it worthwhile...

goood luck

fred

This first piece I have to keep, but I've met with locals and made arrangements to hunt some private properties in the area. I've put more than 2yrs. of reaserch into hunting this rock and the piece I found was just over 7 miles from George's property, and the web info concerning the Hall property is incorect, whether by accident or intentional, I don't know, but it's incorrect,but I know there's a lot more of it in the ground out there.

Hello Frank!

I would suggest contacting a meteorite collector and ask. I suggest starting with Anne Black www.impactika.com

Jim Wooddell