Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
arctodus

Gold Bug II Question

So I was out beeping the other day-not really familiar with the GB2- and hit a couple spots I was sure were nuggets...dug them up and there was nothing there! I ran the detector over the dirt I excavated and nothing! Anyone have this happen? I was running it in heavily mineralized ground and had turned on the iron discrim earlier-that is why I was sure they were nuggets both times....thought about them being smaller nuggets-but rejected that because I couldn't get a read on the backdirt. Any ideas? Thanks!

arctodus,

Here are several observations about the GB2 I can pass on. I've heard these apply to any detector, but all I've used is a GB2, so here goes.

Sometimes the way the particles are aligned as they lay on the ground can return false signals, and once you move them around the configuration is broken - target disappears. The iron discrimination says something is there for whatever reason but once you push the dirt around it's gone.

In the past when that happened to me I sometimes would bag up all the loose dirt and take it home to pan it out. Sometimes I found a teeny tiny piece of gold as the culpret, and other times nothing.

One thing to try is run the detector over the target in two directions. When you swing to the left it's there, but as you swing back to the right there's nothing. When that happens it's a false signal and time to move on. The ground has magnetized or ionized or whatever. If it is a valid target it won't matter which direction the detector "sees" it. It will beep.

Hope this helps some.

Paul

:brows: AMEN my GB2 will find specs a gold soooooooooooooooooooo small I can't find'm and I utilize my sluice whenever possible. People waste entirely too much precious time trying to find them tiny nuggets,all targets really, so I fill a pocket fulla red poker chips and when a weak target(any really unless a BIG strong sound :wubu: ) I drop a chip,move on,when a dozen or so are down I shovel it into a bucket and chuck it in the sluice and much MUCH time saved, much better recovery and much more ground covered and gold recovered. I like it all-John :WOW:

It can be a lot of fun finding the little dinks -- a nugget shooting version of the limbo mantra "How Low Can You Go?". Understanding how to shift the various gears on a GB2 takes some practice, but can result in a lot of smilely faces when the time comes to load up the truck and head for the barn. The GB2 is a quintessential manually operated detector -- too much to explain in a single post. Don't be afraid to try out all the possible combinations. Just like with a manual shift vehicle, there is no "one size fits all" setting. Rather, the settings depend on local conditions and the size of targets. When they change, so must you. The use of very tiny test nuggets is essential for training your ear to "hear". The "Iron Discriminate" mode will not function on tiny micro nuggets below a certain size. When they get that small you have to first get them into a plastic cup or other suitable container in order to maintain the absolutely shortest distance between the target and your coil's sweet spot for final recovery [unless, like Hoser, you have access to a sluice and are willing to delay gratification]. The "Iron Discriminate" mode will react and produce a "chirp" when passed over a very hot rock or a very mineralized patch of dirt. That may be what happened to you. It is a common misunderstanding that the "Iron Discriminate" mode actually discriminates out any iron target. NOT SO! It is designed to discriminate out most iron containing hot rocks, but not solid iron objects like tacks, BBs or the fragments of decomposing wire mesh nor iron dense hot rocks like magnetite. Ant Man has given you several important tips. Give yourself some time to let it all come together. The GB2 is a wonderful tool for those willing to put in the effort.

Another POSSIBLE factor , were you using a pick or scraper that had a magnet attached ?? If yes it could have been a small piece of metal that attached itself to the magnet and thus you couldn't find the supposed target in either the hole or the tailings because it attached itself to the magnet.

Thanks for the info! I'm going out again friday-think I'll test some of those theories!

Al

Another POSSIBLE factor , were you using a pick or scraper that had a magnet attached ?? If yes it could have been a small piece of metal that attached itself to the magnet and thus you couldn't find the supposed target in either the hole or the tailings because it attached itself to the magnet.

LOL that has happened to me a lot. I dig almost all targets, even if im pretty sure its iron. I pack out a pile of crap usually. But early on i didnt notice right away the small fleck of iron pinned to my magnet, while i combed thru my diggins lookin for that beep again. So after every dig i pinch off most of the crap stuck to my mag and check it as soon as the target moves unexpectedly. Lots of great tips in this thread, thanks fellas. -sport

Well Al, I'm a little late for your Friday excursion, but will share some advice nonetheless: DO NOT USE THE DISCRIMINATOR! Get used to digging every target right when you find it. You want to know when you are getting gold because that is when you slow down and pay extra attention. Your most useful digging tool is the side of your foot... most Gold Bug 2 targets are close to the surface. If it is a hotrock, it will usually be of a size that you can easily identify before you even have to bend down and dig. And the same for a mineral pocket... it will be dispersed enough with your boot scrape to change the audio response. Like Martin said, there is just too much info to include in a single post, so here is an article that I wrote last month on the subject: Gold Bug 2 Prospecting Tips

The Gold Bug 2 is a fantastic detector that I wouldn't want to be without!

Lucky Joe

SORRY NO DISC ON GB2 :twocents:

Thanks for the great info-so far I am el skunko on gold with the GBII but I know it will roll around. So I have been using the iron descrim as a test....find a target in regular mode and switch on the iron descrim mode and hear what she has to say. Anyone tried this? I have dug everything and it has all been hot rocks and trash....but I wonder if there isn't some signal in the iron discrim mode that screams gold once you've found a hit to check like this. Too all you GPAA members-yuo can thank me because I have hauled off approximately 6 metric tons of lead bullets, casings, iron junk, random nails, and other crap from the claims without a speck of gold to pay for it haha.Well, I guess if I were a lawyer, maybe even I'd say the GPAA owes me some money for cleaning up their claims thus inadvertently increasing membership!

Anyway-heading out again this weekend. I feel like every weekend is going to be the one. I know I'm in gold territory, done my research, know what to look for, prepared to dig a lot...just need the planets to properly align for a nugget patch I guess. Wish me luck!

Arctodus: I am glad you are still hanging in there! To answer your question, "Has anyone tried this?", yes. Searching commonly is done with the GB2 either in the "Normal" mode or in the "Audio Boost" mode [depending on local mineralization, your hearing, etc.]. Then, when the GB2 produces a "Zip" sound, you can switch the mode to "Iron Discriminate". If the target now yields a "Chirp" sound, then you have something that definitely is worth digging. To actually hear what I am talking about, there is a video link on the web site of the Prospector's Club of Southern California entitled "Find Caliche Nugget". The sequence in this brief video follows the sequence described above. The "Zip" sound is contrasted with the "Chirp" sound quite clearly. Listen to the sounds in the video and then compare those sounds with what you are getting out in the field with your GB2. One caveat, however: When dealing with a super small gold particle [a micro-nugget], the Iron Discriminate mode may not chirp at all. The target is just too small. Keep hanging in there and let us know when you hook a keeper!