Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SGTFDA

Prospecting vehicle

My ugly bird crap yellow 85 Toyota truck needed a new transmission. Glenn's fab shop took care of that for me. I just could not take it any more with the color of the truck. Or should I say colors. Being a do it your self type I spent a month on it and sprayed it last week. Had the seats recovered yesterday. It was my first time spraying a whole vehicle and it come out pretty nice. So you see it out there that's me doing my thing. Love that little go anywhere truck.

post-384-0-10582000-1309289503_thumb.jpg

Lookin good Frank, does this mean your'e ready to get out there prospectin an git er done ??

Haven't seen ya post in awhile so I figured the Mrs. was keepn ya busy.

Those are great little trucks! Does it have the 22RE in it? I've always been a big fan of the 80's model Yotas. Good work :thumbsupanim

Here's my little prospecting rig. '87 Ford Ranger. I just got done installing the lift, 5.13 gears with lockers, fabing the tube bed, and swapped out the axles for some beefier ones :inocent:

IMG_20110326_114910.jpg

IMG_20110326_115009.jpg

The bed isn't quite finished yet, but almost! It'll make a great prospecting rig here in a week or two, once I finish up.

Lookin' good in AZ White! Nice job! :thumbsupanim

My ugly bird crap yellow 85 Toyota truck needed a new transmission. Glenn's fab shop took care of that for me. I just could not take it any more with the color of the truck. Or should I say colors. Being a do it your self type I spent a month on it and sprayed it last week. Had the seats recovered yesterday. It was my first time spraying a whole vehicle and it come out pretty nice. So you see it out there that's me doing my thing. Love that little go anywhere truck.

Nice job SGTFDA, you will like white alot better down here in the heat.

wonderer

Frank i've been fishing and working on the truck. I'm working on adjusting to the heat. I'm not a morning person having worked 3-11 for 33 years so i wait for cooler prospecting weather. Though there are several treasure sites i'm going to look at up north.

Denny those are great trucks. I had a 85 short bed 4x4 that i left behind in Pa when i moved out here last year. That truck would go anywhere and i had it in some tight spots back in the Pa mountians thunting.

Frank i've been fishing and working on the truck. I'm working on adjusting to the heat. I'm not a morning person having worked 3-11 for 33 years so i wait for cooler prospecting weather. Though there are several treasure sites i'm going to look at up north.

Denny those are great trucks. I had a 85 short bed 4x4 that i left behind in Pa when i moved out here last year. That truck would go anywhere and i had it in some tight spots back in the Pa mountians thunting.

Yeah, much like Toyota drivers, most people who have owned (and taken care of) Rangers have nothing but great things to say. What sold me on the Rangers, was my fathers. It's an 85 with over 400k miles :wubu: with the original motor/trans. Pretty incredible if you ask me.

Some friends of mine back home in California, are BIG time Toyota guys. I've witnessed them do some amazing things off road. The kind where the "brown pants factor" is really really high! If Ford didn't have the ranger I would have a mid 80's Yota sitting on 35's instead. You have a great truck there. take care of her, and enjoy the many treasure hunting expeditions it will take you on!

-Denny

:olddude: Old toyotas never die--just their owners. Luv my 86 longbed(which means the long trans and much beefier build for motorhomes),22re the absolute best 4 banger I've ever owned. In shop getting a whole new front end as ORIGINAL parts took a beating with 100,000+++ miles offroad in my gray ghost. NEVER left me walking and pulled dozens of ford,chevy and jeeps outta messes. Opps can't forget them folks with turbos-hahahaha when they kick in on the side of a hill over they go and right sided up a couple---like my 86 over my 2004 trd bs-John

Ford rangers are solid trucks, I never cared much for any of the Japanese trucks, they always seemed under powered...4 cylinders just doesn't cut it for me and I spent alot of time researching the right prospecting vehicle that wasn't going to be a daily driver and settled on a Dodge Dakota 5speed manual V-8 318 from there it just needed a lift some tires, lockers and a paint job, a rack to hold gear and we're ready for prospecting, and it pulls my trailer like its not even there. Its not a full size but yet not a mini either.post-1755-0-07194900-1309886504_thumb.jp

Ford rangers are solid trucks, I never cared much for any of the Japanese trucks, they always seemed under powered...4 cylinders just doesn't cut it for me and I spent alot of time researching the right prospecting vehicle that wasn't going to be a daily driver and settled on a Dodge Dakota 5speed manual V-8 318 from there it just needed a lift some tires, lockers and a paint job, a rack to hold gear and we're ready for prospecting, and it pulls my trailer like its not even there. Its not a full size but yet not a mini either.post-1755-0-07194900-1309886504_thumb.jp

That's a darn nice rig man! Did you make the rack yourself? A V-8 was the only thing the Ranger was missing. I always wished Ford would have integrated the 302 on the FX4's. :ROFL: That is definitely one place that Dodge nailed it, with the compact lineup.

Awsome....awsome outback truck you have there Bucket...hope you don't meet up with any horny

stud Zebras....

Gar, you crack me up!! you might be the only one that I'll admit is funnier than myself!! The last thing I need is some bumper damage from a zebra. Yea Denny dont think I didnt eyeball the 4.0 Ranger back then but the cab space was a bit tight for my gear and when things are fully loaded the 6 cyls seem to lose some go-go, the good thing and bad about a v-8 is that they seem to get the same mileage loaded or not, my work truck is a 6 cyl and when its loaded down it gets 12mpg my v-8 gets around 14 loaded or not. When I go out prospecting its usually for a week so I got to really pack the crap in there so I welded up a rack for it and now I've got all the room in the world.Could you imagine the power you would have with a 302 in that Ranger Denny ?? WOW!! The Dakota is the only Dodge truck I liked cause its just a pinch bigger in all the right areas without being a fullsized bushwhacker going down the narrow trails.Heres a before and after post-1755-0-74503300-1309921617_thumb.pnpost-1755-0-49903900-1309919876_thumb.jppost-1755-0-99547900-1309921919_thumb.pn Some would say I butchered a perfectly good truck, but hey if it aint the way you like it.....Change it, this things never let me down yet.

Gar, you crack me up!! you might be the only one that I'll admit is funnier than myself!! The last thing I need is some bumper damage from a zebra. Yea Denny dont think I didnt eyeball the 4.0 Ranger back then but the cab space was a bit tight for my gear and when things are fully loaded the 6 cyls seem to lose some go-go, the good thing and bad about a v-8 is that they seem to get the same mileage loaded or not, my work truck is a 6 cyl and when its loaded down it gets 12mpg my v-8 gets around 14 loaded or not. When I go out prospecting its usually for a week so I got to really pack the crap in there so I welded up a rack for it and now I've got all the room in the world.Could you imagine the power you would have with a 302 in that Ranger Denny ?? WOW!! The Dakota is the only Dodge truck I liked cause its just a pinch bigger in all the right areas without being a fullsized bushwhacker going down the narrow trails.Heres a before and after post-1755-0-74503300-1309921617_thumb.pnpost-1755-0-49903900-1309919876_thumb.jppost-1755-0-99547900-1309921919_thumb.pn Some would say I butchered a perfectly good truck, but hey if it aint the way you like it.....Change it, this things never let me down yet.

This is true, the Rangers are lacking space. I had a 2003 regular cab short bed for about five years, and the space was always a issue. Believe it or not, I slept in that thing a handful of times while out on the road. Painful.....absolutely! Ha ha.

Did those years of Dakotas come with straight axle? I wouldn't call it butchering a good truck...I would call it, making a good thing better. You did a great job on the rack, and the stance of the truck, even loaded, is perfect. Good work man! Did you re-gear it too?

All of the Dakotas came with IFS which limits the amount of lift we can give em and also the amount of lifts available, alot of offroaders were doing axle swaps, I considered it, but decided the money was better spent on a polaris 800 to get me further offroad. The truck came with 3:21 gears and I had to swap that for 3:91 in order to turn those tires,and if your gonna do the gears you might as well throw in a Detroit locker for good measure, now I can do 70mph at about 2000rpm which is where it was at before the tires were added, and instead of using lift blocks I had new leafs made for the rear to make up for the added weight of the rack and prospecting gear, then I threw on some rear airbags so I can pump up the back when I hook up the trailer and get it back to level. What size tires are you running on the ford Denny?

That's cool man. At least you did it right, with leafs instead of blocks. Airbags are a huge help too! My pore little 2.9 doesn't have enough balls to tow up any kind of hill, so I'm limited to bob tailing it. Ha ha. I did however put 5.13 gears front and back (helped a ton). I did the Detroit locker in the front, and Lincoln locked the rear. I'm running 35x13.5 Toyo M/T's. The 5.13's were a little overkill, but suit the trucks applications nicely. Definitely not much of a highway rig though :inocent:

How does your IFS do with articulation? Is that torsion, or coil spring?

You know Denny when you mention "Highway rig" that was a sticking point for me and something that people overlook,Yea I like the v-8, yea i like the lift, yea i like the bigger tires but knowing that I'm here in San Diego the nearest goldfields are atleast 2 1/2 hrs of freeway driving away and most of the places we go are much further so there's some compromising that has to be done when selecting all the stuff you plan on putting on your rig knowing that your gonna be 95% highway and 5% offroad and with the minor engine mods like headers,3"exhaust,ported throttlebody, electric fan, i think I atleast managed to get the best mileage I could without losing power, The IFS does not do that great for articulation and with the torsion bars cranked almost all the way up so the tires don't rub doesn't help but It has always in one way or another gotten me where I need to go, a straight axle with coil springs would be ideal but I sure like the ability to NOT have to get too crazy offroad and just use the quad for that. We tend to "accidentally" end up in some places we shouldn't be from time to time so to have a paint job that blends in has been a real help last year we had a park ranger pull up about 50 yrds away and she was on this trail stacking rocks for some odd reason, I guess to keep us all on the main trail but in the 45 minutes she was there she never spotted my truck...we may have dodged a bullit on that one. The 35x13.5 monsters you roll with are huge!! The biggest I could fit without major timming are the 32x11.5s I have on there now. I got a buddy prospector that drives an 89 Ranger 2.9 and I dont think it will ever break down..he's been driving the hell outta that thing for better than ten years now. Although all my work trucks and my desert rig are all Dakotas,for very specific reasons, I generally consider myself a Ford guy.

Frank, great truck and nice paint job....

I just have to step in and defend Tacomas. I bought and ordered my Taco brand new in '02. On of my pet peeves about Tacos was they just did not have the power of a V-8. Then I found out I could order my truck with a genuine TRD supercharger. With a few other minor bolt ons, my little very nimble 4X4 has almost 300 h.p. and can tow plenty especially at the altitudes I go. It also has a stock rear diff lock with the TRD off road pkg. Untill just recently I towed my ATV (sold it) on the front of my Fleetwood E-2 camper. Never once had any issue with towing, climbing steep hills even over 7000'. Truck now has 125,000 very trouble free miles and it will probably be the last truck I ever buy. It even tows better than Mrs El Dorado's Ram 4X4 with a stock v-8 and gets better gas mileage to boot. Tacos are one tuff truck and with a little larger than stock tires will go anyplace I want it to go. I can even do a 180 degree 10 pt turn in a single lane dirt road that dead ends.

Love camo trucks!

IMG_5462.jpg

I think if I had to do it all over I'd go full size Ford Diesel (I doubt if I stay in Cali I would buy a gas engine anymore) with a toyhauler and some quads then I wouldnt have to worry about taking the truck down narrow washes. But the absolute razzing I would get from everyone I know if I ever even thought about a japanese truck would be brutal!!! Around here its Ford, Chevy or Dodges, now dont get me wrong, I cant comment on any vehicle newer than 1998 so your Yota very well could be a screamer but I have 3 1989 6 cyl Dakotas all with over 300k and my desert truck-94 has 146ish and my work truck is a 98 Dakota 6 popper has about 190k and every single one of the 6 poppers is gutless they run forever because they don't go very fast. :olddude: the v-8 is another story, I can smoke 32s no prob, but when it comes down to my next truck....probably an f-350 4x4 Diesel.

:thumbsupanim I'm with El D-luv my highly modified TRD 04 and pulling Dodge Duramax out of sand pits is a hoot with that righteous 6 banger. Keep the newer one for fun(yesterday) and the great ol'86 4 banger gray ghost for NASTY 4 x 4 today to remote properties---John

You know Denny when you mention "Highway rig" that was a sticking point for me and something that people overlook,Yea I like the v-8, yea i like the lift, yea i like the bigger tires but knowing that I'm here in San Diego the nearest goldfields are atleast 2 1/2 hrs of freeway driving away and most of the places we go are much further so there's some compromising that has to be done when selecting all the stuff you plan on putting on your rig knowing that your gonna be 95% highway and 5% offroad and with the minor engine mods like headers,3"exhaust,ported throttlebody, electric fan, i think I atleast managed to get the best mileage I could without losing power, The IFS does not do that great for articulation and with the torsion bars cranked almost all the way up so the tires don't rub doesn't help but It has always in one way or another gotten me where I need to go, a straight axle with coil springs would be ideal but I sure like the ability to NOT have to get too crazy offroad and just use the quad for that. We tend to "accidentally" end up in some places we shouldn't be from time to time so to have a paint job that blends in has been a real help last year we had a park ranger pull up about 50 yrds away and she was on this trail stacking rocks for some odd reason, I guess to keep us all on the main trail but in the 45 minutes she was there she never spotted my truck...we may have dodged a bullit on that one. The 35x13.5 monsters you roll with are huge!! The biggest I could fit without major timming are the 32x11.5s I have on there now. I got a buddy prospector that drives an 89 Ranger 2.9 and I dont think it will ever break down..he's been driving the hell outta that thing for better than ten years now. Although all my work trucks and my desert rig are all Dakotas,for very specific reasons, I generally consider myself a Ford guy.

Ha ha, I know all about the torsion bar crank, and how well it rides.... It's nice to get a few inches of lift for free, but there are definitely some sacrifices that come along with it. The TTB (twin traction beam) suspension that the first-third generation rangers have, use coil springs with radius arms, and the coil are RIDICULOUSLY stiff! Much worse than a TB crank. Ha ha, I don't know what Ford was thinking when they engineered those things. I'm going to use Jeep XJ 6" coils, here pretty soon. They allow for a softer ride, and MUCH more flex. Next on the list after that, is fabing up some extended radius arms, and once I blow up the 2.9, I'm going to do the 4.0 swap. It'll be a never ending project/money pit :cigar:

I did have to cut the fenders, as well as the splash guards, but it's hard to tell, unless you really pay attention. Your 32's should suit you just fine. The only reason I'm rolling 35's is because I got the wheel/tire setup for $600! Not bad for a $2500 combo. How do those swampers do in your type of terrain? I've never used them outside of the mud pits. I assume they see a lot of sandy/shale areas?

That's awesome about the park ranger! I laughed pretty hard when you said she was stacking rocks. Ha ha, it totally reminded me of Monty Python and the Holly Grail, when the peasants were stacking mud for no reason.

My Toy work truck doesn't have camo unless you can count rust and pin strips as camo...but he's

post-300-0-01472900-1310050932_thumb.jpggreat for the off road stuff....at first he looked pretty

rough so in 04 I got him re-furbishedpost-300-0-74025700-1310051048_thumb.jpgthen I packed all my

stuff in the backpost-300-0-42267800-1310051277_thumb.jpgwith the dredge on top on

the rackpost-300-0-30985600-1310051253_thumb.jpgthen found out it wouldn't fit in my

garage post-300-0-26467600-1310051231_thumb.jpgso stuff would be safe....don't know

why I worried so much about being safe in the garage when some of the fish in the river looked

like this guypost-300-0-88746200-1310051203_thumb.jpgthat we caught in the net about 30

feet from where we were dredging...even with all his teeth and size he's no match for this guy

post-300-0-20285600-1310051660_thumb.jpgPiranha is his name and this one is a black one

and their the really mean boys....

And it's all for thispost-300-0-89953200-1310051301_thumb.jpgyellow stuff....

That's a gnarly looking fish ya caught there! What's the species? Nice looking nugget too, good work :thumbsupanim

Denny here it's called a "dog fish"...there were actually two of them in

the what had been a gill net.....it had two holes torn in it each about

three feet in dia....those fish sure were good eating...along with the

deer and the Paca not to mention the crocodile tail....

Here's setting up camp in a cattle corralpost-300-0-02215600-1310067957_thumb.jpg

after cleaning and putting down the tick and scorpion powder I put up my

tent and Andrea strung up his hammock post-300-0-81491600-1310068082_thumb.jpg

Andrea is the cook/helper/hunter for the table fare with his black powder

rifle/shotgunpost-300-0-85967300-1310068222_thumb.jpghere I built a shade

for Andrea to stand under while tending the riffle box of my 5" McCracken

dredgepost-300-0-19147900-1310068312_thumb.jpg

Just to the right is where I cleaned up a large section of bedrock only

about 4' deeppost-300-0-15961000-1310068442_thumb.jpgand then 100 yards or

so a long series of rapids start....

Here's one of the gold buttons from melting the fines....post-300-0-83680800-1310068638_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Looks like you guys did well for yourselves. Beautiful scenery too! I wish I had that weather... Ha ha, it's 60 and cloudy out here right now...