Nugget Shooter Forums

Is this gold? Please help.

S1DIMMER

I recently had a sprinkler system put in at my new house and the company that did the job dug trenches instead of pulling the pipe through the ground. A couple weeks later I was weeding and found the rock in the attached pictures near where one of the trenches was dug. I live North of Atlanta but South of the North Georgia mountains. The soil here is a red-ish clay. The surrounding rock in the picture appears to be white quarts. The orange-ish color may be from the clay. What do you guys think, is it gold, fools gold, or something else? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

post-25531-0-12326600-1309267452_thumb.j

post-25531-0-69060200-1309267462_thumb.j

Looks like iron pyrite to me. Pyrite is crumbly. Gold is malleable. Take a piece of your rock and apply some pressure with a big nail or a knife point. If it easily breaks up into a gazillion little flecks it is not gold. If it cuts and leaves a shiny groove without fracturing, like if you were to do the same thing to a lead fishing weight, then it may indeed be gold -- but I really doubt it judging from the photos. However, hope springs eternal. May the gold gods be smiling on you when you do the test!

Micro Nugget gave you all the info you need--your area is loaded with that stuff.

But don't let that get you down---head up 400 and go get some of the real stuff.

I don't see any gold and what I do see, I agree that it's pyrite, but the quartz is very mineralized and pyrite does at times hold a little gold within it's makeup, I would suggest crushing the quartz to dust or close to close to dust size and pan it and you maybe surprised and find some fine gold.

Skip

Looks like muscovite (tabular) on the left of the photo and pyrite(cubic) on the right. I think you are both right.

The various forms of pyrite are the main ore of gold. Basically worthless to a prospector but it is what a large gold mine considers bread and butter.

S1,

In addition to the other tests, you can put it in your mouth. If it is metal your teeth will detect that right away. But from the looks of it my vote says it's not gold you have my friend.

Paul