Nugget Shooter Forums

Alamogordo being Evacuated

homefire

In 24 hours this fire burned 50K acres. Trees exploded 1/2 mile in front of this monster. The entire county of Los Alamos is under mandatory evacuation. The Cerro Grande fire burned two weeks and NEVER reached the size of this one... AND IT DID IT ON THE FIRST DAY.

We have big trouble. Two major fires burning here and three smaller ones. After Saturday and Sunday with 100 degree temps and 60 mph winds with 4% humidity it is amazing that there is anything left at all.

God bless the 3000 men fighting the fires in this state and the other 3000 trying to deal with the refugees. It is Cerro Grande/Viveash all over again only this time EVEN BIGGER. The smoke is incredible.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/

I have two friends who have lost homes today. One of them lost her dream home back in the Cerro Grande Fire, so she has lost two so far in Los Alamos, NM. There were people on Cohiti Mesa that ran away from their homes with the shirt on their back. It burned so fast they had no warning and looked up to see the flames coming across the mesa at 40 MPH toward them. About 35 homes have been destroyed so far and that is GREAT! It certainly could have been several hundred by now. By the grace of God and a lot of very tough firefighters there have been very few (relatively) home burned.

Thankfully at my house there has been rain on Monday and Tuesday! 160 days without a drop of rain came to an end (finally) and an inch of hail fell. All told this year I have about .2 of an inch of moisture. All National Forest, BLM and State lands are off limits for any reason as of 4:00 yesterday.

All we have down here is scrub brush, Brittle bush (Really Flammable) Tumbler weeds and Mesquite.

I love Fire Works. In the past I've spent a hundred dollars on them. Had a blast I did.

Any one even thinking about playing with them right now is a Jack Azz.

I know some stupid kid is going to start a small fire west of me and my place will be Toast.

All sand dunes, with the westerly winds this place is a flash point.

It's so dry, I can hit my Mesquites with the hose and it looks as dry as yesterday in a half hour.

This photo is two years old and we have a pile of dead dried bush out here now.

post-21985-0-05588100-1309361656_thumb.j

Sorry to hear about the losses. This hits home with me, as I grew up in California.... I know what it's like to evacuate, and take care of friends who have lost their homes. It's a sad state of affairs.

All we have down here is scrub brush, Brittle bush (Really Flammable) Tumbler weeds and Mesquite.

I love Fire Works. In the past I've spent a hundred dollars on them. Had a blast I did.

Any one even thinking about playing with them right now is a Jack Azz.

I know some stupid kid is going to start a small fire west of me and my place will be Toast.

All sand dunes, with the westerly winds this place is a flash point.

It's so dry, I can hit my Mesquites with the hose and it looks as dry as yesterday in a half hour.

This photo is two years old and we have a pile of dead dried bush out here now.

Man what do you do with fireworks this year? We have a bunch of people insisting that the government has no business telling them what they can and cant do and a fire danger that has never been so extreme in my lifetime. We have year-round fireworks sales, kids who are going to do whatever they want despite the restrictions, and adults who have never learned to respect any laws.

We will see many fires over the next two weeks and the loss of millions in property. But do you think there is any way to keep the idiots from lighting the fireworks? Hell no. And do you think that anyhting will be done to those who start fires with fireworks? Hell no.

And many people believe that the scrub desert has no fuel for a fire. I suppose they have not seen fire rip through the desert faster than you can ride a motorcycle over it. Granted the fuel load wont burn for months like old growth forest but a fire in the flats will sweep over miles of desert and take every home in its path.

1) Ignorance of the environment around them.

2) The belief that "it wont happen to me".

3) Selfishness and an attitude that "I am going to have fun despite the risk".

4) A taste for destruction and the desire to see some chaos.

These are the four main reasons that we will lose BILLIONS this summer. At the peak of the Wallow fire our resources were 100% committed for the rest of the year even if no more fires erupted. We pulled firefighters from active fires to go fight the Wallow fire and now we are puling firefighters from fires with extreme growth potential to protect Los Alamos. New fires start daily. They are already utilizing National Guard to help in support roles. If we have a few new blazes over the next week we are going to be in DEEP DOODOO.

...And there are still people whining about not being able to pop firecrackers or camp in the woods. What a nuthouse!

Man what do you do with fireworks this year? We have a bunch of people insisting that the government has no business telling them what they can and cant do and a fire danger that has never been so extreme in my lifetime. We have year-round fireworks sales, kids who are going to do whatever they want despite the restrictions, and adults who have never learned to respect any laws.

We will see many fires over the next two weeks and the loss of millions in property. But do you think there is any way to keep the idiots from lighting the fireworks? Hell no. And do you think that anyhting will be done to those who start fires with fireworks? Hell no.

And many people believe that the scrub desert has no fuel for a fire. I suppose they have not seen fire rip through the desert faster than you can ride a motorcycle over it. Granted the fuel load wont burn for months like old growth forest but a fire in the flats will sweep over miles of desert and take every home in its path.

1) Ignorance of the environment around them.

2) The belief that "it wont happen to me".

3) Selfishness and an attitude that "I am going to have fun despite the risk".

4) A taste for destruction and the desire to see some chaos.

These are the four main reasons that we will lose BILLIONS this summer. At the peak of the Wallow fire our resources were 100% committed for the rest of the year even if no more fires erupted. We pulled firefighters from active fires to go fight the Wallow fire and now we are puling firefighters from fires with extreme growth potential to protect Los Alamos. New fires start daily. They are already utilizing National Guard to help in support roles. If we have a few new blazes over the next week we are going to be in DEEP DOODOO.

...And there are still people whining about not being able to pop firecrackers or camp in the woods. What a nuthouse!

God! I LOVE FIRE WORKS.

But there's a time and a place.

This Ain't the Time, or the Place right now. LOL!

Praying for all the forum members down there, be safe.

Makes me want to have a brick/rock house with a metal roof.

We started selling fireworks year around here to (Phoenix, AZ), HOW INSAIN !

wonderer

So the Los Conchas fire became the largest fire in New Mexico history this morning. It swept through the Santa Ana reservation with a vengeance and is over 109,000 acres and only 3% contained. From Santa Fe the entire western horizon is on fire. It extends from Cochiti to Fairview...A distance of about 60 miles in length.

Both Arizona and New Mexico have set all time records so far this summer and the fire season has just begun. Right now 760,000 acres are currently burning in this state.

It actually sprinkled enough yesterday to mess up the car windows.

Clouds are stacking up as I type but not enough.

Two more fires in the south but they seem to have a handle on them.

Believe it or not I feel bad for the folks and their property that is in harms way. It is sad for sure. When I lived North of Reno in the desert, My home was aggressively pursued by 3 major fires. I'll tell ya watching the desert junipers blowing up in a cloud of black smoke was scary and seeing the water bombers starting their run low enough over my house to knock pics off the wall was pretty unsettling too....... Do all you can to show appreciation to some incredibly dedicated firefighters, even if it is a friendly smile and wave. Here is hoping for some rain for you guys!

The good side is is does not take too long for Mother Nature to repair from fires.