Nugget Shooter Forums

F75 for meteorite hunting

Hi everyone!

I'm newbie in meteorite hunting and metal detecting and willing to buy an MD (mostly for meteorite hunting as well as for coin shooting).

As I said, I have no experience, so my selection of possible brand and model is based only on visual feeling so far. I like Fisher F75. It looks well arm balanced, perfect from technical point of view, user friendly and just cool. In the same time I noticed, that many board members suggest White's GMT. I believe it's perfect machine. But I'm little bit scared by big amount of switchers, handles and so on.

So my question is next: is F75 good for meteorite hunting as GMT is (accounting F75's higher price)?

Thank you in advance for your answers and suggestions.

Aloha Yuriyv,

I now that Jim will just jump in on this one as he owned an F75 for a week or two and was absolutely shocked by how bad its performance was out at Franconia. Nuff said about that!

The Whites GMT has performed GREAT for me as well as a bunch of others on this forum. The learning curve is short IF you pay attention to the instructions and even spend time watching the insrtuctional video. Dont be intimitated by the switches and dials!!:yuk-yuk: If you go ahead and purchase the GMT let us know and I am sure some of the other forum members as well as myself will be more than happy to provide you will some tips on how to setup your GMT for max performance in the field. Let us know what you do. My best advice is once you do make your purchase, dont let it sit in the closet gathering dust. Take it out every day if you have the chance and PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE!

Aloha from Vegas,

Stan aka Kaimi

Okay Jim now you can go ahead and rant about the F75!:brows: :brows: :inocent::zzzzz:

Hi everyone!

I'm newbie in meteorite hunting and metal detecting and willing to buy an MD (mostly for meteorite hunting as well as for coin shooting).

As I said, I have no experience, so my selection of possible brand and model is based only on visual feeling so far. I like Fisher F75. It looks well arm balanced, perfect from technical point of view, user friendly and just cool. In the same time I noticed, that many board members suggest White's GMT. I believe it's perfect machine. But I'm little bit scared by big amount of switchers, handles and so on.

So my question is next: is F75 good for meteorite hunting as GMT is (accounting F75's higher price)?

Thank you in advance for your answers and suggestions.

My suggestion is to read my review on the Detectorreview website. metaldetectorreviews.net/

In a nut shell, the answer to your question is a resounding NO, it is NOT a good detector for meteorites.

1. It can NOT handle areas with hot rocks well at all. You can actually be swinging and what you hear is delayed at times. Proof is when you stop swinging and the darn thing continues to sound off. It acts like it has a buffer or the processor gets confused.

2. It's got a low operating frequency.

3. It will not, with the 11" DD coil, pick up small H5 chondrites worth a darn, compared to a Gold Bug 2 with a 10" or a 14" coil.

4. In heavy material, the thing is a joke....you will not be able to see what you have on the screen. Hot rocks and meteorites read about a 14 on the scale so most of the filtering it provides is worthless to a meteorite hunter.

5. Forget trying to use it in an area with electronics and power....it will NOT behave well.

Fisher does not seem to know what a meteorite is.

Others in this forum took Fisher to task on this machine at the Gold Show. Fisher was using an iron meteorite to test with.....what a worthless test that is. Hopefully, those folks will chime in here.

I sent a Gold Bug 2 into fisher for a tune up and an intermittent issue. I sent a very nice mirror NWA chondrite meteorite with it for them to calibrate with. They did not know what it was. I told them to keep it, after a long conversation with their technician. They did not keep it and best I can tell, they have no real interest in knowing if their detectors do commonly found meteorites or not.

They have been given the opportunity for beta testers to test their products that actually hunt meteorites that are commonly found. It's obvious they don't have anyone doing that, nor can I (again) find any evidence of them having any interest in meteorites.

Hope this helps!

I would not even buy this machine, based on my experience with it, to hunt pennies in sand!angry-smiley-010[1].gif

I hope this helps. Don't make the same mistake I made!

Jim

The GMT is practically a turn on and go machine. You should have no problem starting off with one and as your experience grows learn to tweek it to your liking.

A great detector for meteorites and gold. I also have used one for coin shoots and have done very well with it (1st prize of a nugget).

I can't see anyone saying anything derogatory about a GMT. Its a 1st class VLF for gold an space rocks and very versatile for other purposes.

Thank you guys. Now I'm doubtless!

I was suspicious about F75 when saw how MeteoriteMen changed their MDs after series premiere... :-) Looks like Fisher payed them a lot. :-D

I'd say, I was intimitated by old models of GMT I saw on eBay. But newest version looks good. So will buy a new one. Considering it will be a good investment.

Any suggestions where to shop (reputable seller/good deal for money)? (Private messages are welcome).

Aloha Yuriyv,

I now that Jim will just jump in on this one as he owned an F75 for a week or two and was absolutely shocked by how bad its performance was out at Franconia. Nuff said about that!

The Whites GMT has performed GREAT for me as well as a bunch of others on this forum. The learning curve is short IF you pay attention to the instructions and even spend time watching the insrtuctional video. Dont be intimitated by the switches and dials!!:yuk-yuk: If you go ahead and purchase the GMT let us know and I am sure some of the other forum members as well as myself will be more than happy to provide you will some tips on how to setup your GMT for max performance in the field. Let us know what you do. My best advice is once you do make your purchase, dont let it sit in the closet gathering dust. Take it out every day if you have the chance and PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE!

Aloha from Vegas,

Stan aka Kaimi

Okay Jim now you can go ahead and rant about the F75!:brows: :brows: :inocent::zzzzz:

Hi Jim. I was wondering do you feel the same way about the the gold bug pro dp w/11" coil, I've only had it for about a month and I've been to Franconia once (first time) and found 50 cals and stuff, but no meteorites. I don't have any meteorites to test it with but it's extremely accurate shooting coins. I was told gold machines were the way to go for meteorite hunting, hope i made a good choice

Roy

Hi Jim. I was wondering do you feel the same way about the the gold bug pro dp w/11" coil, I've only had it for about a month and I've been to Franconia once (first time) and found 50 cals and stuff, but no meteorites. I don't have any meteorites to test it with but it's extremely accurate shooting coins. I was told gold machines were the way to go for meteorite hunting, hope i made a good choice

Roy

Sorry Kaimi, I accidentally stuck that reply on your post. My Bad!

Hi Jim. I was wondering do you feel the same way about the the gold bug pro dp w/11" coil, I've only had it for about a month and I've been to Franconia once (first time) and found 50 cals and stuff, but no meteorites. I don't have any meteorites to test it with but it's extremely accurate shooting coins. I was told gold machines were the way to go for meteorite hunting, hope i made a good choice :shrug:

Roy

Hi Jim. I was wondering do you feel the same way about the the gold bug pro dp w/11" coil, I've only had it for about a month and I've been to Franconia once (first time) and found 50 cals and stuff, but no meteorites. I don't have any meteorites to test it with but it's extremely accurate shooting coins. I was told gold machines were the way to go for meteorite hunting, hope i made a good choice :shrug:

Roy

Hi Roy,

It does not matter much who you reply to...we are all a friendly bunch. I have no experience with the model you mentioned.

If it has Manual ground balance and does not get confused with hot rocks it should be ok...but I have no idea and I take what I hear about these detectors with a grain of salt because most of the tests conducted with them are not with meteorites and it just seems the reports are fairly pathetic. For example, on the F75, one report speaks of a guy finding a belt buckle at 8 " and because of that it's rated at 5 stars!

My gawd. A belt Buckle at 8" Whooopy fricken deal!!! I use to do that with a $99 machine from Big 5! Not much of a test for a machine, IMHO.

If you are looking for a detector for meteorites, Gold Bug 2, GMT, Minelab. The GB2 is simple to operate...you need to spend time with it to learn what it's telling you. And that is true with the others too. What is also cool about those detectors is most of the folks here know them. They are tried and true, and the support you can get here is second to none. I just bought my 3rd GB2 and it should be showing up tomorrow.

Jim

Hi Roy,

That also means stay away from detectors like the Minelab Explorer. Yes it can identify chondrites like no other detector..............but..it has no depth, can only see larger, surface meteorites, and sucks in mineralized ground even with an expensive aftermarket coil. What good is it to be able to identify targets that you can't pick up in that hot ground? It's great for coins or jewelry in a park though........................at least the Exterra 70 can be adapted to finding chondrites but, you're still miles ahead of the game using a White's GMT or a Fisher Gold Bug II.

Ben