Nugget Shooter Forums
Fishinbobo

Gold Bug detector sold at cabelas?

My dad is interested in purchasing a Gold Bug when we gets a chance. Has anyone purchased the one sold at Cabelas? I know when it first came out there was confusion on which model this was(goldbug 3, goldbug pro). Now on the box itself at Cabelas I didn't see any marking saying gold bug pro. They have it only listed as "Fisher Labs Gold Bug Detector". Was this ever descripted as that? Or was that name just given to it when everyone was trying to see what model it was?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best ways to find answers to your questions are going to come if you 1st call Cabellas and get a knowledgeble person on detector sales to speak to.

That may not be possible.

So if you go to the manufacturers website and read up on their various models you may be able to figure that out.

Or call or e-mail mfg. and ask your specific questions.

I would suggest you call mfg. as they will know what models are retailed where and exact descriptions of such.

I would not by from Cabellas,

A gun or some supplies yes, but a detector no.

Buy from a local metal detector dealer who will be there for you with training and support.

I would not by from Cabellas,

A gun or some supplies yes, but a detector no.

Buy from a local metal detector dealer who will be there for you with training and support.

I agree. Support the shops that support us.

Good Morning!

Fisher does in fact make a "Gold Bug". It is the lowest in the Gold Bug line of detectors.

Gold Bug - http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-goldbug-metal-detector.htm

Gold Bug Pro - http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-goldbug-pro-metal-detector.htm

Gold Bug DP - http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-goldbug-dp-metal-detector.htm

Gold Bug 2 - http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-goldbug-dp-metal-detector.htm

I recently purchased a Fisher F75 from KellyCo. It came in a Fisher F75 Anniversary Edition box and it was not that edition, nor did I buy the anniversary edition. When I sold this unit less than two months later, this is when I learned of what it said on the box.

I do want to point out that Kellyco will beat the price on any deal you can come up with. They also include over $300 in free stuff with the Fisher detectors they sell. It's impossible for most dealers to even come close to matching their selling power.

My suggestion is to shop around. I would also suggest a little research on the unit you are going to purchase.

Hope this helps!

Jim

I picked up a Gold Bug from Cabella's, it's a "GB-3".

I get an employee's discount (my wife works there), so I buy a lot from Cabella's.

It's my understanding that Fisher docent make any detectors First Texas bought them out. Not the same quality that Fisher was known for.

So the GB 2 that I'd buy is a 2005 or older.

You need to buy from a dealer to get the Pro model. I would ask Gerrys Detectors for some more info on this as he is a fisher dealer and tested them out for Fisher. I have a pro model and find it to be a hot little detector and really like it so far.

Hey Fishinbobo, If you have decided to go with the Gold Bug Pro just make sure you get it from a reputable dealer. It will say Gold Bug Pro on the unit. If it does not you do not have a Pro. I have used one from the git go and it is a fantastic unit. You can read many of my posts either on Robs forum or AZO. They will be posted under TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS. I used three GBPros against each other and against GB/SE or GB/DP and their is a performance difference. I dont care what anyone says, something was done differently to the GBPro. There is a well defined difference between the units and the Pro will stand above the earlier "pro" models. The sensitivity is not quite the same and the audio is off just a hair. I spent several days playing them against the others and as I say their is a difference. The GBPro is a fantastic unit and I would put it up against any VLF on the market right now. I used a Gold Bug II many years and in my opinion the Pro is a far better unit and can be used with hardly any learning curve. Good Luck, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Just two comments.

1. The Big Box Place in Florida is just that and only that. Years ago I bought some stuff from them, got screwed both with incorrect and inferior equipment and wound up having to pay "restocking fees" of 20%. No way will I EVER buy anything from them regardless of the promotional trinkets they dangle. Reputable dealers or trusted individuals are the better ways to go.

2. Three days ago I bought a Fisher Gold Bug Pro from a local dealer. I have three GB2s and I just wanted to see how this newest Fisher digital detector stacks up against the old tried and true technology. I am working my way through the manual and will post my comments in a month or two after getting sufficient mileage on the new unit to form some opinions.

I bought my GMT from a local dealer and received top-notch service, and high quality free accessories including soft case, Bulls-eye II, headphones, scoop etc. He even in threw-in a book I saw on the shelf for free.

Then, to save a hundred bucks, we ordered another GMT from that Big Box store in Florida for a friend. It came yesterday, the free accessories that were included were cheap crap, including the detector case. It was not near as high quality as the one that came with mine. I'm staying with my local dealer from now on.

Just two comments.

2. Three days ago I bought a Fisher Gold Bug Pro from a local dealer. I have three GB2s and I just wanted to see how this newest Fisher digital detector stacks up against the old tried and true technology. I am working my way through the manual and will post my comments in a month or two after getting sufficient mileage on the new unit to form some opinions.

I will be interested in hearing the results of the comparisons! make sure you do some testing heavy hot rock areas swinging fast!

If you have any meteorites to test with, would love to hear about that too!

Jim

This is in response to NVCHRIS' second post. Concerning the take over of Fisherlabs.

Comparisons: I own a used GP3000 ML along with a Fisher Goldstrike VLF detector with both 10" & 6.5" coils.

Minelab: Undoubtably probably the best gold detector for deep and sometimes shallow prospecting depending on supplied coil. Yet still the most expensive. But still they do not have a lifetime warranty or waterproof coils generally speaking.

Fisher: Or the present company in charge thereof. Without a doubt the older detectors are a force to be reckoned with. But as I read almost daily posts by Ray Mills aka "trinityau" of his daily finds with the new goldbug pro. It's as although I'm reading posts by "Montana Bob" with his daily deep finds with his ML. His shallow finds are with a Fisher GB2.

Fisher is made right here in the good ole USA. ALL their coils are waterproof up to tested 200' under water. They come with a lifetime warranty. Whether it's a new or old detector Fisher stands by their product.

My recent experience with Fisher. My defunct noise maker of a Fisher Goldstrike has been repaired. Some say it was made ahead of it's time. There are not many detectors out there that can detect the smallest size of gold UNDER A HOT ROCK. While completely phasing out that hot rock under discrimination. For two years I was fed up with my Fisher GS. It turned out my 6.5" coil was defective along with my main screen interface. Fisher repaired all the parts absolutely free. Felix from Fisher even paid for my shipping to them. Costing me not one of those dimes you display with your gold.

Fisher GS note: After several years (6) working with this detector I discovered something. By turning down to higher negative threshold this baby is no noisemaker at all. It is that sensitive. Yet will still fetch you gold. I have turned it down to on occasions to -60 where it is recommended to be at -10. Lower the number (such as -10) the more sensitive.

If Fisher came out with a PI, I would probably be first in line. Made right here in the USA. Good product, reliable company, that doesn't treat your detector as a fishing pole when it comes to service.

Jim

This is in response to NVCHRIS' second post. Concerning the take over of Fisherlabs.

Comparisons: I own a used GP3000 ML along with a Fisher Goldstrike VLF detector with both 10" & 6.5" coils.

Minelab: Undoubtably probably the best gold detector for deep and sometimes shallow prospecting depending on supplied coil. Yet still the most expensive. But still they do not have a lifetime warranty or waterproof coils generally speaking.

Fisher: Or the present company in charge thereof. Without a doubt the older detectors are a force to be reckoned with. But as I read almost daily posts by Ray Mills aka "trinityau" of his daily finds with the new goldbug pro. It's as although I'm reading posts by "Montana Bob" with his daily deep finds with his ML. His shallow finds are with a Fisher GB2.

Fisher is made right here in the good ole USA. ALL their coils are waterproof up to tested 200' under water. They come with a lifetime warranty. Whether it's a new or old detector Fisher stands by their product.

My recent experience with Fisher. My defunct noise maker of a Fisher Goldstrike has been repaired. Some say it was made ahead of it's time. There are not many detectors out there that can detect the smallest size of gold UNDER A HOT ROCK. While completely phasing out that hot rock under discrimination. For two years I was fed up with my Fisher GS. It turned out my 6.5" coil was defective along with my main screen interface. Fisher repaired all the parts absolutely free. Felix from Fisher even paid for my shipping to them. Costing me not one of those dimes you display with your gold.

Fisher GS note: After several years (6) working with this detector I discovered something. By turning down to higher negative threshold this baby is no noisemaker at all. It is that sensitive. Yet will still fetch you gold. I have turned it down to on occasions to -60 where it is recommended to be at -10. Lower the number (such as -10) the more sensitive.

If Fisher came out with a PI, I would probably be first in line. Made right here in the USA. Good product, reliable company, that doesn't treat your detector as a fishing pole when it comes to service.

Jim

Jim,

Whereas most all of what you say is true about Fisher, there's one thing that you're not up to date on with Fisher metal detectors and that is after First Texas took over Fisher there is no longer a lifetime warranty on Fisher metal detectors, all Fisher detectors sold after First Texas took over only have a 5 year warranty, that being said they still honor the lifetime warranty of Fisher detectors sold before they took over IF you're the original purchaser which was always the case, and they still have a good warranty at 5 years, better than most all other brands of detectors with the exception of Tesoro which still has a lifetime warranty on their detectors, I believe Tesoro is the only manufacturer with a lifetime warranty now days.

Fisher will still repair most all of the older detectors if you're not the original buyer for a reasonable price.

Skip

Jim,

Whereas most all of what you say is true about Fisher, there's one thing that you're not up to date on with Fisher metal detectors and that is after First Texas took over Fisher there is no longer a lifetime warranty on Fisher metal detectors, all Fisher detectors sold after First Texas took over only have a 5 year warranty, that being said they still honor the lifetime warranty of Fisher detectors sold before they took over IF you're the original purchaser which was always the case, and they still have a good warranty at 5 years, better than most all other brands of detectors with the exception of Tesoro which still has a lifetime warranty on their detectors, I believe Tesoro is the only manufacturer with a lifetime warranty now days.

Fisher will still repair most all of the older detectors if you're not the original buyer for a reasonable price.

Skip

Skip

I did re-read my post. I was referring to their coils in that lifetime warranty statement. Although true, their older detectors do still have that warranty on those older detectors. Perhaps Fisher/Texas also discontinued that policy as well on their coils.

No matter, if you are the original owner of an older Fisher GS, GB1, Gb2, etc. hold onto it. Lifetime warranty and fast service on your detector and coil is intact. Can't beat that like Tesoro products of today. If only ML would follow suit.

Jim

Howdy All... the Cabellas Gold Bug 3, the Gold Bug SE and the Gold Bug Pro are similar as they are on the same platform...

But different. All three were designed by Dave Johnson. The Pro a great multipurpose machine... competition, coin, relic and gold.

If you have a copy of Chris Gholsons GB-Pro field test in the Feb. 2011 Lost Treasure, or Jim Straights GB-Pro test in the 2011 SIlver & Gold annual; many of the above questions will be answered...

The Gold Bug Pro may be a real winner; especially if one understands and takes advantage of the "bargraph" and "phase readings" while detecting for placer gold. jim straight :olddude:

If you want to know about the new GB the person to ask uses or used the following handle on the Finds fisher classic forum, azsh07 .

His name is Scott H and is probably the key person who tested all versions of the new GB beginning with his personal purchase of a GB 3 from Cabela's through many versions sent to him for testing. You can sort of follow his testing history on a Fisher classic forum and more info on other Fisher forums run by the same people.

Scott was known as Arizona Scott when he lived in AZ but he is back in NH now, I believe and I think he has changed his handle.

Now, keep in mind that all versions of the new GB have gone through changes so even any new GB's sold at Cabela's may not work quite the same as the original ones.

I personally have two GB SE's and they are programmed differently. One most likely has the Pro program but can't say for sure. The reason for me having two is they are extremely simple to operate so I can hand one to a family member and have them hunting in a matter of minutes. Since they have great small gold sensitivity, they work well here in Colorado where much if not most of the gold is too small to hunt regularly with a typical nugget hunting PI. Add this to the fact they only use a 9V battery and are extremely light weight and you have a decent unit for a novice. Now add the features to the fact one can buy a used one for less than $400 if you are patient and it makes a good reasonably priced unit.

The only complaint I have is I wish there was a different size coil between the 5" round and the 11" DD (or whatever the actual size is of their larger coil).

Reg

Hey Reg... Thanks for letting me know that Arizona Scott is now azsh07. As you remember a couple of years ago on Carls forum I tried to buy his PI, but I understand he decided to keep it. Scott is very knowledgeable and I will now follow his posts more closely.

Mr David Johnson is the designer behind the various forms of the "new" Gold Bugs. The SE is next to the later Gold Bug Pro... The sniper coil is actually about 4.7 inches and all I will say is WOW... for overlooked nuggets in oldtimer trash and/or coinhunting around trashy curbs and sidewalks (with permission). As you mention it is easy to use and my 8-1/2 great-granddaughter and her arthitic great grandfather now in his early 80's :olddude: can easily swing it.

Also the bargraph micro-cgs readings which measure the amount of "dirt strength" magnetic susceptibility in the ground regardless of the type of soil; and the phase reading's which indicate the type of soil that can be associated with higher concentrations of magnetic black sand could be a most helpful tool.