Nugget Shooter Forums

First time out.....

adam

Back when it was 20 degrees cooler, I took my brand new drywasher (keene 140) out for her maiden voyage. Not having ever drywashed by myself, it was a learning experience. It was also alot of fun trying to set everything up on my own , and believe me, mistakes were made :yuk-yuk: probably costing me some gold too. :tisk-tisk:

After a day and a half of set-up/take down, hiking everything into the area,and vacuuming, I wound up with over 4 grams of the pretty stuff.

post-1117-0-25486500-1309033319_thumb.jp

You are a PRO your first time out Adam! Nice washin'! :thumbsupanim

Back when it was 20 degrees cooler, I took my brand new drywasher (keene 140) out for her maiden voyage. Not having ever drywashed by myself, it was a learning experience. It was also alot of fun trying to set everything up on my own , and believe me, mistakes were made :yuk-yuk: probably costing me some gold too. :tisk-tisk:

After a day and a half of set-up/take down, hiking everything into the area,and vacuuming, I wound up with over 4 grams of the pretty stuff.

post-1117-0-25486500-1309033319_thumb.jp

I've got a spot that needs some serious caliche bustin if you you are really looking for some practice! Hehe, I remember the look on your face when you came out this way and saw the holes we had going on. Make sure you speak up when you come this way again so I can get out there and say hello.

Nice gold Adam, I like my drywashing as well and this time of year I often go out around 4:00am and run till I am medium rare. Nice having a placer district in my back yard as I can get to a few of my spots in less than 10 minutes :inocent:

A question for ya Bill....as you know the slaves here dug hugh areas (miles)and used the winnowing

method of recovery...in your opinion would these tailings piles be worth the effort of dry washing?

A question for ya Bill....as you know the slaves here dug hugh areas (miles)and used the winnowing

method of recovery...in your opinion would these tailings piles be worth the effort of dry washing?

Don,

I'm not Bill, but I think you should take a pan, a classifier and some extra water with you and try a few pans here and there of the material and see if there's any fine gold there worth running a drywasher, sample, sample!

It may turn out to be something lucrative and worth the work.

Skip

Have you tested any for fines Don? If it is dry enough I would think it worth a try for sure...

I would definately say it's worth checking out Garimpo. I'm using the imagination/logic method to come to this answer. I can imagine me and someone else using that method. I can see me having eyes so full of sweat and dirt that any gold under a gram will not be seen. I also see clay balls that hide what my eyes can's see and I am also seeing myself being much better at picking out nuggets at 8 am than I am at beer thirty. The pan suggestion is a good one but honestly if you want to know what a drywasher will get you need to put a drywasher to it. Imagine once you dig those piles down and drywash them you could easily spread the piles and look for any nuggets stuck to rocks and or caught up in clay balls with your detector.

Don: I used to simply shovel straight onto the grizzly when I had my 151 and when I had a lot more energy. Of late I've begun by first pre-filling 2 gal plastic buckets [a lot easier on the joints and I can better keep track of the volume of material run]. If you have some spots in mind -- especially if they are nearly on top of bedrock, i.e., only 12 or so inches of overburden -- then you can make a crude drawing of the prospect, take some sample buckets of classified minus 8 material, mark where you got them from on the drawing, label each bucket [i use a differing number of pebbles or small stones] and then run each bucket through a small stream sluice, clean the sluice out after each bucket, pan the cons, count the number of colors and mark them on your drawing. You likely will discern better and worse results. If possible, weigh the best run. Now you have a crude approximation of what amount of volume it will take to recover a unit of gold in your best area. If that number is appealing, then go for it. But it may take a whole lot more effort for your fines to equal one decent nugget found with a coil, unless of course you can get some inexpensive labor to help out.