Nugget Shooter Forums

I have decided to come out of the shadows and stop lurking...

first post so bear with me, I'm sure this has been covered before but here is my question.

looking to purchase first detector, Budget of $1000 or less.

looking at GBII, Minelab 705, Tesoro Lobo.

I have panned, sluced, and did some (2") dredgeing in the past.

I am looking to work in the Prscott area as well as hitting the

North Cal/Southern Org areas mainly, with off time spent in Montana.

Everyone here puts out some great posts and would like to hear for you guys

what you think would be a good all around detector for an experianced prospector looking to

get into detecting.

Level of detecting experience predicates your purchase. Nugget shooting does require experienced detecting as the most expensive,hardest and most dangerous form of detecting there is. Join a club to ease them nobie pains,use many units before you purchase and buy used and not abused as many MANY good units for sale right now as newbie fever dies fast and the cold(and hot) reality kills the fever in about 90+% of those who try---I much prefer my TLST and GB2 which could BOTH be easily bought for under a $1k-John :eee:

first post so bear with me, I'm sure this has been covered before but here is my question.

what you think would be a good all around detector for an experianced prospector looking to

get into detecting.

All the detectors you mention here are great detectors. Out of those mentioned I like the GB II. With that said you can look at the Minelab Eureka Gold, its right at your budget limit but is a great unit. Another very under rated machine is the Garrett Infinium LS. It is a very good detector and its a PI machine. I have seen them priced down to the $1000 range and it can out perform most VLF machines in a wide range of soils and its waterproof to 200 feet.

I'm thinking like HJ on this one - GBII, or TLST. The Minelab is a GREAT machine, BUT, it has a learning curve greater than the Tesoro and the Fisher, that will BOTH find the same gold! Best of Luck! :thumbsupanim

get into detecting.

Aloha,

WOW!! Why has no one even mentioned the Whites GMT unit? From someone who has used a couple of other detectors in the past, I always come back to the GMT for some reason. Oh yeah, it's because it works for me!!

Given the fact that the other units are good products I still was amazed that no one mentioned the GMT for the ease of operation, cost factor, the great customer service, blah blah blah. I could go on and on but I will just let the unit speak for itself. This one should also be put on your wish list.:twocents:

Good luck with your hard choice but remember that you will not learn anything if it stays in the the closet. Go out and practice every chance you get even if it means going into your backyard or your neighborhood park for 15 minutes.

Aloha and go find something now!

Stan aka Kaimi

I had a lot of luck with a GB2 and found it easy to learn how to operate and sensitive enough to find some small pickers with the bigger pieces.

I haven't tried any other detectors so can't compare them for you. But for me the GB2 did everything I wanted it to.

Paul

Aloha,

WOW!! Why has no one even mentioned the Whites GMT unit? From someone who has used a couple of other detectors in the past, I always come back to the GMT for some reason. Oh yeah, it's because it works for me!!

Given the fact that the other units are good products I still was amazed that no one mentioned the GMT for the ease of operation, cost factor, the great customer service, blah blah blah. I could go on and on but I will just let the unit speak for itself. This one should also be put on your wish list.:twocents:

Good luck with your hard choice but remember that you will not learn anything if it stays in the the closet. Go out and practice every chance you get even if it means going into your backyard or your neighborhood park for 15 minutes.

Aloha and go find something now!

Stan aka Kaimi

The GMT is a great detector, so is the Garrett Scorpion Stinger. They all have about the same capabilities, one just needs to learn the detector to take advantage of each of their capabilities.

The GMT is a great detector, so is the Garrett Scorpion Stinger. They all have about the same capabilities, one just needs to learn the detector to take advantage of each of their capabilities.

And so was the----GM 1--Vsat--GM3--Gmt--GT 16000--XT17000--American goldstriker--XT18000--Goldenhawk--AU52--GB1--GB2---original lobo--I've owned and found gold

with all of these VLF gold beepers and these can be found used way under the $1000 price range as well.Good luck :bang: Mike C...:ninja: PS-Warning once you find find that first nugget by beepin you'll never hunt for gold any other way after that---I've found more gold beepin than any other method I've ever tried :head:

Thanks for all the great reply's.

I was leaning toward the GBII/Tesoro. I know my experiance level is a big factor in the machines performance. And as such am trying to go with a machine that will help me with that learning curve, i.e. Auto-Balance, All Metal mode. But still want a great machine that i can get 5 or more years of experiance with before even attempting a high end Minelab.

I have been doing alot of reading on the site here, as well as several other sites/magazines. Like everything else to do with finding that yellow metal that drives men over the edge, it helps to do all the research one can before stepping out.

Thanks again everyone for the reply's, will give myself another month of research time and see if I can't narrow the field. Thanks Stan for throwing in the GMT, I wasn't going to really consider it because most posts I have seen deal with the ones I listed. will have to start looking harder at it.

Will PI machines out perform than the VLF ones in most locations, in a side by side test?

apples/oranges--vlf gets smaller gold and pulse ya dig to china--take your pick as your BACK will predicate your purchase and try as many as possible as one mans pleasure is anothers nightmare---John :hmmmmm:

PIs will excel in areas that a VLF will not function as well due to mineralization, i.e. hot ground, a VLF will work better is some areas of low mineralization, so you need to know the ground you're most likely going to be working to know which will be the choice for you.

If I were you I would start out with a VLF if it will work the ground in your area and then later get PI, a lot of experienced nugget shooters will have both types of detectors to be able to cover all aspects of nugget shooting.

Skip

PIs will excel in areas that a VLF will not function as well due to mineralization, i.e. hot ground, a VLF will work better is some areas of low mineralization, so you need to know the ground you're most likely going to be working to know which will be the choice for you.

If I were you I would start out with a VLF if it will work the ground in your area and then later get PI, a lot of experienced nugget shooters will have both types of detectors to be able to cover all aspects of nugget shooting.

Skip

I agree, having both is the way to go in the long run, that way all the bases are covered.