Nugget Shooter Forums

Which coil would work.

Gramps43

I've heard it said that you can can find anything if you have the right coil for what trying to find. If that is the case then maybe someone can help this old GI out. I have a White's 4900/D pro plus with their 8" coil, what would be the best coil to use on this machine for nuggets and such.

Many thanks in advance,

Gramps

Gramps43,

The machine you listed is a coin hunter metal detector.....small coil detects shallow smaller targets better & large coils detect larger targets deeper but misses small targets.

No responces to your question is because it is'nt a machine used in prospecting.

You will with that machine find more gold and silver at the park or school yard than out prospecting, where the soil conditions can be highly mineralized & a coin metal detector struggles with those conditions.

Can you get lucky, yes.

wonderer

Gramps43,

You probably won't get many answers to your question considering your detector is probably 20 years old or more. As such, it isn't that popular as a nugget hunting detector.

Will your detector work as a nugget hunting detector? Yep, but don't expect it to compete with the newer models. The basic frequency is low so really small gold will be very difficult to impossible to detect. However, larger nuggets will sound off just fine.

You can use Wonderer's advice as a foundation. The standard 8" coil will work to begin with. A smaller coil will have some advantage in finding smaller gold and may be the next logical step if you can find a smaller coil for it. Unfortunately, even with a smaller coil, it won't compete with the newer gold hunting machines, but will work.

Reg

gramps, a much better idea :idea: would be to get yourself a couple of test nuggets, 1 very tiny one say 5 grains. And 1 larger one say 24 grains which would equal a pennyweight, which in turn is 1/20th of a troy ounce. These are very common sizes of which are encountered in the field. (REALITY :cry2: )

By doing this you can fire up that detector place them on the ground outdoors and tune that baby in to see if it will give you a signal off of them.

Then if you DO get a signal from them :wubu: bury them 1-3 inches in relative tests and see if you STILL get a signal. By doing this you will know if your machine is even worth using trying to hunt gold.

Which I doubt.

Never the less you will have GAINED some gold (test nugs) for yer poke to test any other detectors you are interested in buying. A true ace -in-the-hole, having them to test with in the future.

Many thanks guys for the replies, I had an inkle that that would be the case. Rodd I put an E-mail in their box last sunday and haven't hear squat from them, guess I'll have to try again after the 4th.

Gramps