Nugget Shooter Forums

Sluice Material

Desertsunburn

Hi all!

I've been looking at the Black Magic Fine Gold Recovery System. This thing appears to fit what I would like to use. However, I have a home made sluice and would like to modify it, if I can find the material the Black Magic uses.

Does anyone know what that stuff is???

Thanks!

Jim

ANY prospecting shop stocks it in rolls. The ribbed matting can be had in low or high profile . In my experience the past few years the deeper/ higher profile ribbed matting does a better job. As far as mosses go they can be bought there also.

A person used to be able to pick up tractor trailor mud flaps on the side of the road that were thicker but had the ribbed profile on one side but that type has been hard to find lately.

Jim Rhetta the Gold Lady carries all the materials in stock she is in Kingman now, I believe she moved her shop from Golden Valley. You may have a retail prospecting store nearer your location check it out.

I may have a complete roll I haven't opened yet I'd have to look.

ALSO artificial grass outdoor carpet does a great job of retaining pickers an fines I've used that in the past too.

Looks like black ribbed floor mat to me.

http://www.floormatc...tting-p-30.aspx

If you look around in the Hardware stores, you can get small doorway sizes much cheaper.

It's not ribbed at all as best I can tell.

Has me stumped!

Jim

ANY prospecting shop stocks it in rolls. The ribbed matting can be had in low or high profile . In my experience the past few years the deeper/ higher profile ribbed matting does a better job. As far as mosses go they can be bought there also.

A person used to be able to pick up tractor trailor mud flaps on the side of the road that were thicker but had the ribbed profile on one side but that type has been hard to find lately.

Jim Rhetta the Gold Lady carries all the materials in stock she is in Kingman now, I believe she moved her shop from Golden Valley. You may have a retail prospecting store nearer your location check it out.

I may have a complete roll I haven't opened yet I'd have to look.

ALSO artificial grass outdoor carpet does a great job of retaining pickers an fines I've used that in the past too.

Hi Frank,

My Son, Derik, went to this shop in Kingman and they do not have any of that material. This stuff is not the common stuff put in sluices where the material then has to be cleaned and panned. It's different, don't know what it is. I do now realize there are two different Black Magic sluices.

The one I am talking about looks exactly like this:

I'd like to try this stuff in a much bigger homemade sluice...so trying to hunt it

s source down. No where around here, including Kingman sell this.

Jim

O.K. Now that you posted the pic I see the unit youre talking about.

Travis Brown who runs Pro Gold Prospecting shop in Youngtown AZ. Google it and get a phone # He sells the sluice youre referring to and either invented it or knows the person that did. If anyone can supply that material it shoul be him.

You may encounter a problem when trying to use that material in a full sized sluice because of water volume. I'm not quite sure but I believe its used with this very low volume water set=up for a reason , ??? trying to use it with a full speed sluice may be a whole different situation.

O.K. Now that you posted the pic I see the unit youre talking about.

Travis Brown who runs Pro Gold Prospecting shop in Youngtown AZ. Google it and get a phone # He sells the sluice youre referring to and either invented it or knows the person that did. If anyone can supply that material it shoul be him.

You may encounter a problem when trying to use that material in a full sized sluice because of water volume. I'm not quite sure but I believe its used with this very low volume water set=up for a reason , ??? trying to use it with a full speed sluice may be a whole different situation.

I have gleened that he does not give the information about the material. In another video at a gold show he was demo'ing his unit and a guy walked up and put his hand on it and said it felt like neoprene wet suit material. The fellow responded it is kind of like that and that was it. It's thin, whatever it is.

I will be pushing more water over a wider area to process more cons. About double the area he is doing. However, the water wont flow any faster...just over a wider area.

The idea here is the fine recovery.....after the cons are classified down or already ran thru a fast sluice. I was going to buy one of these this month but my trip to Holbrook took that money away from that project....so I got thinking to just find that material and use my existing sluice as a dual purpose thing. I am not so good at panning, so this thing will help me, I think.

Jim

Well all I can say now is WELLCOME to the DIY forum, and you can start your quest (hunt) for the material. Pick up some neopreme and try it. If you own one of the sluices your referring to it should be a piece of cake because you have the original in front of you to compare various other materials to and find a match.

Personally I don't see any big difference or benefit using that devise that you can't get with common available materials, they all catch the gold, raised rib, artificial grass, miners moss, swamp cooler padding ,poop tube sewer hose, and on and on. Have fun an keep us posted on your progress.

Jim,

From reading reports of people that have used the Black Magic sluice and from watching the various videos I can't tell you exactly what the matting is because I haven't seen the sluice in person, but it is a type of rubber that is for certain, and that was stated on Pro Gold's website when this sluice was first release "a special rubber matting", but that info/statement is no longer on the website.

The basic design of this sluice works just like a "Miller Table", i.e. a slate bed sluice using a low volume laminar flow of water, with the exception of the bumps he has incorporated into the Black Magic Sluice, I don't know which works best for gold retention the rubber matting or a piece of slate, but I do know from experience that a Miller Table works very well, the gold has a strange attraction to slate and will stick to it almost like a magnet when using a low volume laminar water flow when all the other sand and other material will flow right down the sluice, classification is a must to use this type of sluice effectively.

I've found the trick for a perfect laminar flow is to have a bar/dam across the top of the sluice and raised just above the bed surface so the water has to go under the bar/dam to go down the sluice, and of course a valve for controlling the volume of water and side to side leveling of the sluice.

Skip

I bought one of the black magic fine gold recovery sluices...the mat material is very specific to this box, but Harbor Freight sells a similiar

material as tool box drawer liner...cheaper price, and should work fine for you. Won't stand up to heavy abrasion, yet the mega-fine colors should

stay while the white/black sands wash off...water flow rate should be very slow (more like a 'sheen' on the carpet)..slow but effective.. USE

'JET DRY' liquid on the mat and in the water to let the fines break water tension and not be suspended (swept off the mat).

let me know how it goes.

ausome (allen)