Nugget Shooter Forums

Some New "Adventurin' " Needs Doin'

While doing a bit of research, I've found two old gold mines in my area that I think I can get to. What is the best approach to testing for gold?

Dry wash in the area, or go "straight for the heart", and detect?

Patrick.....

While doing a bit of research, I've found two old gold mines in my area that I think I can get to. What is the best approach to testing for gold?

Dry wash in the area, or go "straight for the heart", and detect?

Patrick.....

I'd say drywash dry creek beds close to the mines in the morning before it gets too hot. Then in the afternoon swing on the tailings piles, make sure to wear a wide brimmed hat and carry plenty water. In any case keep an eye pealed for fangy fellers and other unfriendly critters.

Gramps :olddude:

Always helps to do a little research on the area and mineral production from same, often in some of the older books one can find info on the exact mine in question or at least the next closest to it. If you are in an area with free milling gold use method mentioned above...

Also many mines in AZ were not even gold mines, even in gold mining districts as there are an abundance of other minerals often in that same area so research can be very helpful first.

A good example is the White Cloud Mine in the San Domingo Placer District near me, there have been nuggets and fines found in most washes and on some hillsides in the immediate area including Jim B's 2.27 pound speci (1.57 pounds gold) and the White Cloud was a very successful Beryl mine and they tested many of the large Pegmatite dikes in the area....

what is Beryl? click here

Good luck out there and be safe...