Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedrock Bob

Taking a little nap

I decided to go out Sunday to a spot with a lot of flint workings and try my hand at some real stone. These are from the debitage left from the old masters that I pressure flaked.

In 8 hours of knapping with a little deer antler I made these and broke 3. One of these is a big spear point that I had going pretty good but kept breaking. I finally wound up with a bird point after flaking a cup of gravel!

My hands are still wrecked after four days. I have six blisters on my left hand and a hole in the heel of my right hand where the deer antler penetrated about a half inch.

I made myself some slick copper billets and I am off to Pedernales Peak by Abiquiu lake tomorrow night to get me some big nodules of flint to hit!

What a hoot! I like this stuff!

Bob,

How did you learn to do that?

Rick

Bob,

How did you learn to do that?

Rick

I watched the videos that Paleomanjim did. He introduced himself on the Meteorite Forum a couple of weeks ago. I posted a photo of my first point made out of an old whiskey bottle on that thread a few days ago. So it is all his fault! (Thanks Jim!) He is so darn good at it all you have to do is watch him once and the arrowheads just start popping out of the rock! :hahaha:

Seriously, I dont know anything about it. I am just learning. What you see are my first points out of flint. I am surprising myself on this as I am sure someone else is driving and I am just the passenger looking out the window. An evil knapper is entering my body and making arrowheads and I have to deal with the blisters.

BB glad to see you taking up a new occupation late in life....they say learning new skills helps

keep Alzheimer's away....also another term of BO that skill may be in demand again!!!!

BB glad to see you taking up a new occupation late in life....they say learning new skills helps

keep Alzheimer's away....also another term of BO that skill may be in demand again!!!!

C'mon man, lighten up a bit! Cant we even talk about arrowheads without bringing your fear of Obama into it? Geez.

I'm not old, sick, or needing a new occupation. Just thought that someone might like to see the little bird points I made.

If it makes any difference to you I might add that each and every one of these little awrrowheads are black, gay, liberal environmentalists. With ponytails and sandals.

LOL! I got the bug to try it not long ago.

Ended up with two Smashed Thumbs and a Cool Slit in the palm.

I did figure out how to make the Bulbous Percussion Start!

OOOOOOHHHHHHH Boy are they Sharp! LOL!

LOL! I got the bug to try it not long ago.

Ended up with two Smashed Thumbs and a Cool Slit in the palm.

I did figure out how to make the Bulbous Percussion Start!

OOOOOOHHHHHHH Boy are they Sharp! LOL!

I am finding that first strike is the most difficult. Once you get a good thin flake to begin it is all downhill from there. Like a lot of things hand injury is the drawback. I have spent 30 years carving mesquite with a pocket knife into every conceivable shape and my hands are as tough as boot leather from the zillons of cuts and splinters. That helps a lot but those flakes are like razors coming off that glassy rock. And the little deer antler will rub a blister on the bone. I am going to have to lash a piece of it to a comfortable handle before I try it again.

Every time I learn a new craft of the old timers I am impressed at how tough they were. Knapping just solidifies that. A man that can sit on the ground and shape a spear point with a bone can survive just about anywhere.

That is really neat... Bob do you shoot a bow? Gonna try making some arrows and actually hunting with them? I would think that would be a good experience at best and rewarding to boot.

That is really neat... Bob do you shoot a bow? Gonna try making some arrows and actually hunting with them? I would think that would be a good experience at best and rewarding to boot.

Yes I do shoot a bow. A 70lb Hoyt. I have never taken an animal other than grouse with it. I have been close enough to an elk to stab him with a shaft held in my hands a few times though. Never had the nerve to shoot that little stick in one. Not even with a modern broadhead.

It would be cool to hunt with a hand made stone point. If I ever get a bighorn sheep tag I think a guy could take one with a primitive spear fairly easily. Maybe a javelina as well. And I have hunted spring bear in a loincloth with a wrist rocket and an acorn several times. I might shoot one this fall with a knapped stone just to say that I have done it.

Great job on the points Bob.

I to have been trying to knap some since watching Jim's videos, he is a true master and makes it look so easy. All I have to show for it is a pile of broken rock and many shards of beer bottle glass. I'm giving up on the glass, just way to many little pieces that get everywhere. The girlfriend went to pet the dog last night and got a tiny sliver of glass stuck in her hand :eee: , that didn't go over to well.

I've made a couple of copper boppers with manazinata handles and an antler pressure flaker, they look great and seem to work well just need to find some good knappable rock. Sure is a cool way to spend a couple of hours though.

Dave

Yes I do shoot a bow. A 70lb Hoyt. I have never taken an animal other than grouse with it. I have been close enough to an elk to stab him with a shaft held in my hands a few times though. Never had the nerve to shoot that little stick in one. Not even with a modern broadhead.

It would be cool to hunt with a hand made stone point. If I ever get a bighorn sheep tag I think a guy could take one with a primitive spear fairly easily. Maybe a javelina as well. And I have hunted spring bear in a loincloth with a wrist rocket and an acorn several times. I might shoot one this fall with a knapped stone just to say that I have done it.

We tend to have this image in our heads of an Indian taking out a whitetail deer with his bow and arrow. While they did bring down large game with their weapons, I suspect that the smaller game animals put food in their stomachs most frequently. I could feed indefinitely on the rabbits and quail where I live, but it would be a rarer event to get close enough to large game to take them out with a simple recurve bow and arrow.

We tend to have this image in our heads of an Indian taking out a whitetail deer with his bow and arrow. While they did bring down large game with their weapons, I suspect that the smaller game animals put food in their stomachs most frequently. I could feed indefinitely on the rabbits and quail where I live, but it would be a rarer event to get close enough to large game to take them out with a simple recurve bow and arrow.

I think you are right on there. Large animals were definitely taken down, including mastodon and bison. But they were not taken down with a single shot from a bow. It was many shots from many bows after a spear was thrust through their chest. A lot like a bullfight without the fandango.

I had a fellow show me how the natives harvest quail. No weapons needed. Just find the roost and crawl into the bush a half hour before sunset. Wait until the quail roost and stop calling . They are asleep just like a chicken in a henhouse after a few minutes. If you are really easy you can pick them up, put them under your arm or in your shirt. I got three before I flushed the group from the roost and could have probably gotten a dozen if I had not have been giggling like a little girl after the first one.

Animals like a bighorn have a strange sense of fear. You can walk right up to a ewe and she will try to take the map out of your back pocket. Where the sheep are the big spear points are everywhere. They would be the easy target for that first good spear thrust.

Small game was certainly the staple food, just like mice are to wolves. Larger game was opportunistic or a well planned big hunt with lots of teamowork for the tribe. Exactly like it was with wolves I would imagine.

Bob, you can pick up a copy of "Primitive Archer" at most major bookstands (like at Fred

Meyer). You'll see there are many that still hunt in the old ways and fill their freezers

using primitive hunting techniques. FWIW, I've seen an obsidian broadhead get put into the

boiler room of a big doe...sliced and diced in a hurry and she didn't make it 20 yds.

before she dropped stone dead.

Down in your area you could probably find a nice chunk of Osage to fashion a bow from, too!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/uglypoints.html

Mike

Bob, you can pick up a copy of "Primitive Archer" at most major bookstands (like at Fred

Meyer). You'll see there are many that still hunt in the old ways and fill their freezers

using primitive hunting techniques. FWIW, I've seen an obsidian broadhead get put into the

boiler room of a big doe...sliced and diced in a hurry and she didn't make it 20 yds.

before she dropped stone dead.

Down in your area you could probably find a nice chunk of Osage to fashion a bow from, too!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/uglypoints.html

Mike

I have an Osage Orange on my property near Las Cruces! Indeed it would make a fine bow. I might just make one for the heck of it.

Ol' Paleomanjim has a video of him hunting hogs in Texas with an atlatl. Interesting stuff. That would be the ideal game to try a primitive weapon on.

I am hooked on the .50 cal for elk and deer in this country. It is just too dense for a good bow shot in the forest where I have been hunting lately. A 25 yard shot is nearly impossible. I shot my deer last year at 3 yards. And I would not have had a clear shot with a bow even at that range. And then if you get outside of that woods a 500 yard shot is not uncommon. That is where the .338 Lapua comes in real handy. Maybe I will knap a .338 bullet and wear a loincloth while I shoot elk across a half mile gap?

I watched the videos that Paleomanjim did. He introduced himself on the Meteorite Forum a couple of weeks ago. I posted a photo of my first point made out of an old whiskey bottle on that thread a few days ago. So it is all his fault! (Thanks Jim!) He is so darn good at it all you have to do is watch him once and the arrowheads just start popping out of the rock! :hahaha:

Seriously, I dont know anything about it. I am just learning. What you see are my first points out of flint. I am surprising myself on this as I am sure someone else is driving and I am just the passenger looking out the window. An evil knapper is entering my body and making arrowheads and I have to deal with the blisters.

I think you have met your calling! Very cool and nice job! :thumbsupanim

Jim

Nice job on the points Bob... much better than I could do.

Not real sure about actually using primitive weapons to hunt big game up here. To many grizzlies in my neck o woods. I think I lack the testicular fortitude to face down a charging grizz w/what amounts to a sharp stick :scare:

I too am amazed by the toughness of the old-timers, their relics are scatterd all over the tundra here... from the first ancient man who walked over to this continent(supposedly right here on the Seward Pennisula) to the more recent gold miners of the 1900's. The sheer effort required just to exist(let alone thrive) makes happy I live when

I do!

BB glad to see you taking up a new occupation late in life....they say learning new skills helps keep Alzheimer's away....also another term of BO that skill may be in demand again!!!!

If it beeps--dig it!! Garimpo

C'mon man, lighten up a bit! Cant we even talk about arrowheads without bringing your fear of Obama into it? Geez.

I'm not old, sick, or needing a new occupation. Just thought that someone might like to see the little bird points I made.

If it makes any difference to you I might add that each and every one of these little awrrowheads are black, gay, liberal environmentalists. With ponytails and sandals.

Your skin is getting a little thin skinned these days, looked like a mild compliment to me! Points look great!

BB glad to see you taking up a new occupation late in life....they say learning new skills helps keep Alzheimer's away....also another term of BO that skill may be in demand again!!!!

If it beeps--dig it!! Garimpo

Your skin is getting a little thin skinned these days, looked like a mild compliment to me! Points look great!

Thanks for your opinion on my skin. I try to keep it soft and supple.

Thanks for your opinion on my skin. I try to keep it soft and supple.

ELD, even you will have to admit it...that right there is just plain funny....rofl.gif

Mike

Thanks Bill!

I figured that this one was going to be ruined like the rest. It is too bad that censorship is often the only solution.

If this is done on every thread where the intention is to cause trouble I beleive trouble will stop. There is no reason for folks to go out of their way to start a political fight here or continue arguments from other threads.

If someone wants to air their hate for Obama or Jane Fonda they should start their own thread to do that instead of trying to ruin a thread about making arrowheads. No one has to try and manipulate another posters thread when anyone can start any topic that they please. This section is about coins and relics, not about politics.

I'm still here with this one. Too Informative for someone I guess?

By the way, Where's the Gold? LOL!

Keep your eyes out for a small truck on the cheap down here.

Tired of patching up the van.

I'm still here with this one. Too Informative for someone I guess?

By the way, Where's the Gold? LOL!

Keep your eyes out for a small truck on the cheap down here.

Tired of patching up the van.

Hey Homefire!

Antelope Wells is supposed to be one of the best obsidian collecting places in New Mexico. Have you ever seen any nodules around there? I have been through there on my way to Los Lamentos, Mexico but have never walked around. I found out yesterday that it is a great place to collect obsidian for napping.

...Probably a great place to collect some lead pills too.

Exit 49 on I-10

Head south.

I know a place with Core Stones and pile and pile of flakes.

Looked like a regular factory it did.

Pm me and I'll tell you were.

It's all white Carnelian type stuff.

I did find one black obsidian point .

Put it in my shirt pocket and and the end of the day it was gone. What a dumb azz.

This thread sure came to a stop. I like those points and certainly want to see more..... BB have you done any more?