Nugget Shooter Forums

ATV Mounts for carrying detectors, gear, etc

Hi all!

Would be interested in seeing pictures of various mounting arrangements for carrying detectors and other gear on ATV's and recommended products that have proven themselves.

Thanks

Jim

Hi all!

Would be interested in seeing pictures of various mounting arrangements for carrying detectors and other gear on ATV's and recommended products that have proven themselves.

Thanks

Jim

I carry mine in a backpack or in a 5 gallon bucket. I never mount the control box on the pole for that very reason as it is much easier to transport and use a detector when the box is safely stashed and not hanging there on the pole. Mounts for detectors, guns, fishing rods, etc.etc. simply transmit vibration and wind up shaking your equipment apart. At least that is my million mile experience. I have done away with any mounts and racks that bolt to vehicles that bump and bang across wasboard roads and rocks. Even the mounts that are dampered with neporene or "Limbsaver" material jar the crap out of any gear. Especially in the back country.

My Minelab is shock proof and needs no mount as it is an integral part of my backpack. The rest of the detectors are so small and light that the box goes in a bucket with other gear and is protected inside a camera bag. Gear needs to move and shift with the forces of nature and not be held rigid to bounce with the vehicle or pack animal. A rifle clamped across the handle bars of an ATV or in a rigid gun rack will soon be a casualty and a fishing reel mounted to a rod rack wont last 100 miles without coming apart. Laid with the load and allowed to shift and move on their own they will last for years with no vibration damage.

Good post Bob.

I don't have an ATV, but my lifted Suburban does a good deal of bouncing around. I hip mount my TDI, so I store the control box and earphones in an "Igloo" insulated cooler wrapped in towels. The cooler helps protect them, and I think might help insulate them from the heat as well.

Patrick.....

Good post Bob.

I don't have an ATV, but my lifted Suburban does a good deal of bouncing around. I hip mount my TDI, so I store the control box and earphones in an "Igloo" insulated cooler wrapped in towels. The cooler helps protect them, and I think might help insulate them from the heat as well.

Same here, detectors and coils are bubble wrapped then go in padded "igloo" type container. Rods go into a padded fishing rod holder. All fit nice and neat in the back of the Rhino or on the back of the Rokon.

Same here, detectors and coils are bubble wrapped then go in padded "igloo" type container. Rods go into a padded fishing rod holder. All fit nice and neat in the back of the Rhino or on the back of the Rokon.

I packed a digital camera inside an ice chest once to protect it while I was hauling firewood. I had a bit of ice and lunch in that "igloo" but had emptied it before packing my coat, a camera and various small items inside. When I got back to the house the camera was ruined from the humidity. The bone dry air inside the ice chest absorbed the moisture and it went right into the electronics as a vapor. There wasn't but a few drops of water inside the ice chest and I threw my coat in on top figuring that it would dry it off by itself. But the air just became saturated.

Be darn careful when sealing anyhting up in the desert that may have moisture inside. The ice chest is a great idea but can backfire on you when you stash electrical components insde. Even covering your control box with a plastic bag to keep splashes out will cause vapor to infiltrate the housing on a hot day.

Jim, not an ATV but the inside of the jeep I used some grey electrical pvc and made a 2 tiered rack with 90 degree elbows on the ends to contact the form of the rollbar then 3 ring clamps secure the rack to the rollbar. padded the holders a bit and used the tiny bunge cords with the round ball on one end (for holding tarps) for hold downs for each arm of the rack been working well it actually rides pretty smooth and will hold 2 minelabs.

On an ATV you may want to consider building a box type enclosure on the rear fender padded to hold the control box and a u mount on the front to receive the rod end. This works good for alot of people but limits you to access seating from 1 side.

Just some ideas for you.

post-562-0-73586300-1308265494_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-51393300-1308265521_thumb.jpg

I put a six pack rack on the back of my Honda 250 ex and then mounted a small milk crate on that, I then put hangers on the back side to hold my detecter and strap it down. Than I mounted PVC pipe on the sides to hold my mag stick , pick , and army shovel every thing else gos in the milk crate which is then covered by netting so nothing falls out. This setup has worked very well for me I will post some pics when I get back to my home pc.

Jim,

While on my ATV, I break up my detector and put it in a backpack like bedrock Bob. There is way to much vibration, and bumps on the trail, I can only imagine what the detector internal parts do being bumped and shaken all the time, especially solder joints.

Dave

I suppose it all depends on the road and what you are driving. When I get out of the Land Cruiser after my favorite 12 miles of rock my balls are aching from the shock. It turned a Leupold Vari-X III into a kaleidoscope while the gun was in a hard case riding in the front seat. A dozer is rougher but not much. But if I was going somewhere else or driving a modern vehicle you could probably mount a detector in a mount like Frank's and it would be great.

I used to always carry my rifles in a rack in the back window of my pickup truck. I rarely had a catsasstrophe. I have tried everything in the world in that Toyota and If it is in contact with the vehicle it will eat the finish off, loosen the screws or scramble the guts of anything that is mounted to it. Instruments in the dash as well. It eats cell phones, digital cameras, wrist watches, and GPS screens. And if you want to ruin a good nugget just put your vial in the glove box. But no matter what you are driving I feel that vibration is a killer. You put more miles on gear transporting it than using it in a lot of cases.

here is what I have setup

[

Hey Bryan! I like that, uh...er Lightning Rod....Static Suppressor you got there!happy0193[1].gif

Good picture....I think I've been there before chasing motorcycles doing touch and goes in a little Cessna! But then again, all those try lakes start looking the same!

Jim