Nugget Shooter Forums

CA dredging dead

Surprise, surprise. The Cali legislature passed the budget bill today with trailer language that suspends the issuance of dredge permits 5 more years. Not sure if Guv Jerry signed it yet, but no surprises anticipated there either.

Imagine all the gold that will be there, when they do open up, if they open up??? :shrug:

Martin,

If I wanted to set up a sluice box in the shallows of a river (in CA) and shovel dirt into it, would that be legal? If not, what would the consequences be?

Paul

Thanks for the heads up Micro. So much for our comments at Santa Clarita and phone calls. They sure just blew everything out of the water. The Greedys and the Krook tribe have that financial muscle. Its a shame to see our rights taken away like that. I can only imagine what is next on the chopping block.

Martin,

If I wanted to set up a sluice box in the shallows of a river (in CA) and shovel dirt into it, would that be legal? If not, what would the consequences be?

Paul

I don't know the answer to your question, but would certainly like to know. I'm headed down there soon to visit family, and definitely want to swing by the Yuba, and find me some yellow!

I don't know the answer to your question, but would certainly like to know. I'm headed down there soon to visit family, and definitely want to swing by the Yuba, and find me some yellow!

Sluicing is still on the OK list... no problem at all

I'll be on the Walker River sluicing away come the last week of July. No idea if I'll get anything or not and don't care. I just want to throw some dirt around and if I get something, all the better.

But then again, if I do find some nice gold - there comes the dredging issue. darn politicians.

Paul

Paul: Sluicing still is allowed, i.e., placing a sluice in a stream and feeding it material FROM THE STREAM. What is illegal is IMPORTING material from outside of the waterway and then running it through the sluice. If you want to run material from outside of the stream, then highbanking still is legal. So is recirculating. But only if the runoff does not reenter the active waterway and create a plume. Last year Jill & I recovered a surprising number of gold and platinum nuggets plus a couple of pennyweights of fines just using our modest battery powered homemade recirculator [the one I demoed utilizing an aluminum "walker" {the kind handicapped folks need}]. Hope you fill a vial or two.

As you have read in other posts, Governor Brown VETOED the Budget Bill. Here is what he told Legislators today:

In a letter to lawmakers, Brown said the Democratic plan is "not a balanced solution. It continues big deficits for years to come and adds billions of dollars in new debt. It also contains legally questionable maneuvers, costly borrowing and unrealistic savings. Finally, it is not financeable and therefore will not allow us to meet our obligations as they occur."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/06/brown-to-veto-democratic-budge.html#ixzz1PTW1gFz8

Now is the time to CALL of FAX your Individual County's Board of Supervisors and ask them to send a LETTER to Governor Brown regarding the Trailer Bill AB 120 Language that puts another 5 year moratorium on Suction Dredging..

I have already send a copy of a Letter written by the El Dorado Board of Supervisors. I am also told that Siskiyou, Plumas, and Sierra County 's have sent similar letters. The El Dorado letter went out the President Pro Tem, Speaker of the Assembly though.

We need to get ALL Counties to write their letters immediately and send them to the Governor as well as the Representatives. If any one needs a copy of the El Dorado County Letter please e-mail me and I will forward it to you. It is in .pdf format.

PLEASE PEOPLE...we need to jump on this IMMEDIATELY! PLEASE CALL OR FAX YOUR COUNTY BOARDS TODAY!

Now is the time to CALL of FAX your Individual County's Board of Supervisors and ask them to send a LETTER to Governor Brown regarding the Trailer Bill AB 120 Language that puts another 5 year moratorium on Suction Dredging

Thanks! We still have a chance

Surprise, surprise. The Cali legislature passed the budget bill today with trailer language that suspends the issuance of dredge permits 5 more years. Not sure if Guv Jerry signed it yet, but no surprises anticipated there either.

CALIF dredging maybe not dead Governor Brown Vetoed budget bill today :thumbsupanim :yuk-yuk:

Unfortunately Governor Brown vetoing the budget bill wasn't enough to stop this trailer language turning into something else, the legislators had a little backdoor surprise as if they knew the budget bill wouldn't fly!!! :*&$*(: :*&$*(:

Here's the info in a nutshell, the damm environuts just won't stop, I would like to stomp on their nuts'shells' a time or two, it's looks like this will have to be beaten in court, because we all know they will keep on coming up with some way or the other to never let dredges go back into the waters of California legally!!! :*&$*(: :*&$*(:

AB120 has been severed from the budget bill, it has passed both the house and senate. (They had this planned and were working on this as the budget was going through the steps of getting to the Governor, the trailer language in the budget bill was just a diversion to keep us from seeing what they were really doing!!!) :whaaaa: :whaaaa:

This is the language in the bill as passed:

5653.1. (a) The issuance of permits to operate vacuum or suction

dredge equipment is a project pursuant to the California

Environmental Quality Act (Division 13 (commencing with Section

21000) of the Public Resources Code) and permits may only be issued,

and vacuum or suction dredge mining may only occur as authorized by

any existing permit, if the department has caused to be prepared, and

certified the completion of, an environmental impact report for the

project pursuant to the court order and consent judgment entered in

the case of Karuk Tribe of California et al. v. California Department

of Fish and Game et al., Alameda County Superior Court Case No. RG

( B ) Notwithstanding Section 5653, the use of any vacuum or suction

dredge equipment in any river, stream, or lake of this state is

prohibited until June 30, 2016, or until the director

certifies to the Secretary of State that all of the following have

occurred , whichever is earlier :

(1) The department has completed the environmental review of its

existing suction dredge mining regulations, as ordered by the court

in the case of Karuk Tribe of California et al. v. California

Department of Fish and Game et al., Alameda County Superior Court

Case No. RG 05211597.

(2) The department has transmitted for filing with the Secretary

of State pursuant to Section 11343 of the Government Code, a

certified copy of new regulations adopted, as necessary, pursuant to

Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 11340) of Part 1 of Division 3

of Title 2 of the Government Code.

(3) The new regulations described in paragraph (2) are operative.

(4) The new regulations described in paragraph (2) fully mitigate

all identified significant environmental impacts.

(5) A fee structure is in place that will fully cover all costs to

the department related to the administration of the program.

( C ) The Legislature finds and declares that this section, as added

during the 2009-10 Regular Session, applies solely to vacuum and

suction dredging activities conducted for instream mining purposes.

This section does not expand or provide new authority for the

department to close or regulate suction dredging conducted for

regular maintenance of energy or water supply management

infrastructure, flood control, or navigational purposes governed by

other state or federal law.

(d) This section does not prohibit or restrict nonmotorized

recreational mining activities, including panning for gold.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_120&sess=CUR&house=B&author=committee_on_budget

Skip

I will be exercising my right to do as i darn well please. If i get caught.. what they gunna do throw me in jail?, if its just a fine... i might just continue until i get caught and hopefully i have found enough gold by then too cover the fine.. then i can find another spot and continue. 5 years.. ridiculous! There are a lot of hard working prospectors out there that have a lot of money invested in dredging and still haven't covered there cost that will now be Sh*t out of luck! Myself, bought a Dredge 2009 haven't had a chance to use it yet and i plan on using it....

I will be exercising my right to do as i darn well please. If i get caught.. what they gunna do throw me in jail?, if its just a fine... i might just continue until i get caught and hopefully i have found enough gold by then too cover the fine.. then i can find another spot and continue. 5 years.. ridiculous! There are a lot of hard working prospectors out there that have a lot of money invested in dredging and still haven't covered there cost that will now be Sh*t out of luck! Myself, bought a Dredge 2009 haven't had a chance to use it yet and i plan on using it....

Good luck with that..... Messing with the department of Fish and Game/FS, can get REAL nasty!

Good luck with that..... Messing with the department of Fish and Game/FS, can get REAL nasty!

They aint brain surgeons. Your chances are (spinning the big wheel of fate)... 60/40!? :inocent:

Well you could aways put away your pontoons and putt-putt motors and go gravity dredging. Just the sound of water, sand and small rocks going thru the pipe and rumbling across the sluice, not much noise at all.

Of course you understand I wasn't here and I didn't say this.

Gramps

There always will be renegades, and to this day none have been give any trouble!

This is true, but I won't be the one testing the waters. I don't know what the penalties are for dredging when/where you're not supposed to, but I do know that just fishing without a license is a big deal, with huge fines. Many people have fished without them, but I know many that have been busted, had their tackle box/gear confiscated, and slapped with a HUGE fine. :inocent: I can only imagine that dredging unlawfully is quite a bit worse.

No thanks.....