Nugget Shooter Forums

Just wanted to introduce myself to the Forum

JSGlen

Hi everyone!

When I was a young boy my Dad took me gold panning in the gold country of California often. This was back in the late 50's & early 60's. My Dad found a lot of gold which he processed using a small ball mill and some other equipment that contained mercury. Back then mercury wasn't perceived as being so dangerous, and he did this in his shop at home. When he was young he worked in his uncle's gold mine in Oatman, Az (The Mossback Mine)in the 30's. I haven't done any prospecting of any kind since, but, have always had the interest.

Recently, I moved from the Bay Area of Ca. to Arnold, Ca. which is about 20 miles East of Angels Camp, Ca. on Hwy 4. My best friend also lives in this area and since we are both retired we wanted to give prospecting a serious try. We bought gold pans and all the misc equipment that is required, bought maps and researched locations where we could go without getting into trouble. Even here in the Mother Lode Country it seems difficult to find places to pan that are not on private property.

A few days ago I bought my first metal detector(GMT)in an effort to go after them nuggets. I've only been out once so far and only found a lot of trash. But I did find a lot of small trash such as pieces of shotgun pellets and such.

I've been reading your wonderful Forum for a few weeks now and find it very informative and entertaining. I hope to learn from you experts so I hope you do not mind if I ask a few silly questions along the way. My main goal of course is to find gold. But, to me the journey itself will be very satisfying even if I never find a single flake or nugget. I would like to hear from others in my area, or about any clubs in my area. Happy hunting!!

JSG ... Welcome to the forum ... This is truly a great forum and has very helpful members as you stated. If you haven't done so already go search out all the back posts on your GMT. And when you get done there be sure to go onto the White's sight and check out the forum there of GMT users. Between the two sights, studying your manual (it's on line if you don't have a copy)you should be finding gold in no time. BTW ... ratio of small trash to a nugget in your hand can and usually is very high. Listed to what your detector is telling you and try to determine what is in the ground before you dig it out after you have a little experience. but no matter how many targets you can identify before you dig be sure to dig them to be absolutely sure. Gold can fool your detector and your ears so digging all targets is the only way not to miss one.

That's my two cents of advice for tonight.

Mike F.

Hello Mike, and thanks for the nice reply. It does appear that most members here use the Mine Lab units, and I'm sure there is good reason and justification for their price, it's just too much for me presently. I will check-out the White's Forum as you suggest. Are there many GMT users here in this Forum? Thanks again for the reply, and for your advice! Happy hunting Mike!

JSGlen- I use a Minelab as my primary detector,but my GMT is with me on every trip and gets used most every trip.It will find GOLD so small you can hardly see it. I 've found my largest nuggets to date with the GMT, before I got a Minelab. Jim McCulloch is an expert in GOLD prospecting with a GMT metal detector and has written several books on Nugget Hunting..I read them cover to cover and did what he said to do. Get to know that machine inside and out and the Gold will come. Dave

JSGlen- I use a Minelab as my primary detector,but my GMT is with me on every trip and gets used most every trip.It will find GOLD so small you can hardly see it. I 've found my largest nuggets to date with the GMT, before I got a Minelab. Jim McCulloch is an expert in GOLD prospecting with a GMT metal detector and has written several books on Nugget Hunting..I read them cover to cover and did what he said to do. Get to know that machine inside and out and the Gold will come. Dave

Thanks for the info and advice Dave. I'll have to find those books by Jim and read them cover to cover.

JSG,

Welcome to the forum. You're in with a great bunch of knowledgible guys that have either done it, heard about it, or thought of most everything before. So if you have any questions this is the place to start asking and learning.

It's always nice to have new members who can add their experiences into the knowledge pool as well.

Paul

Highbanker58 is right about the GMT. It will serve you well as you spend time with it. I have had one for years.

If you contact Jim McCulloch request a copy of his softcover book, it will give you a great start with your machine.

Wellcome to the group.

Hi JS, and welcome to this forum. It would be fun to have you write up some recollections of the days you spent with your dad getting some color a half century ago. Bill Southern sometimes places prospecting stories on his home page for all to read.

Welcome JS, I just got back from Bullhead and spent some time at the Moss and the Mossback mines, very cool area to poke around in, not much left of the mossback but a hole in the ground and some tailings. Bucket

Welcome JS, I just got back from Bullhead and spent some time at the Moss and the Mossback mines, very cool area to poke around in, not much left of the mossback but a hole in the ground and some tailings. Bucket

Hi Bucket, thanks for the info. The last time I was there was in the early 90's. My Dad, my Son and my Brother all went there just to checkout the area and see if we could find the Mossback. Relying on my elderly Dad's recollection from 60 years earlier we found the mine after two days of driving every dirt road and dry wash North of Oatman. Then the steel A Frame was still in place over the shaft and of course the tailings were still there. All of the buildings my Dad remembers were all gone with little signs of their existence. My Dad is gone now, and that trip meant a great deal to him. He often wanted to return, and now I wish we would have found the time. He passed in 2003.

Is this area a good place to detect? I'm thinking, for old time sake, of going back to check the area out for the old man!

Thanks for the response Bucket, and Happy Hunting!

Thanks Ant Man for the nice welcome!

Thanks frank c for the info re Jim McCulloch's book and the welcome!

Bill Southern - thanks for the welcome!

Micro Nugget - thanks for the welcome. And the suggestions about writing stories from those long past experiences. I'll see what my poor memory can dig-up!

Well I gotta tell ya JS that I didnt do much detecting, mostly drywashing and it was good so I dont see why detecting wouldnt pay off. there was no steel A frame anymore although there was a huge one at the Moss mine, I'll see if I can find some photo's. But if you get the chance to go back...take it!! its very cool in that area, theres a spot nearby called silver spring and water runs year round according to the locals, we did some sluicing and worked the gold magic spiral wheel in the running water it was alot of fun to sit in the water when its 100+ degrees and still be able to run dirt, got alot of pickers too, It wasnt alot of water but enough to work.#1 silvercreek #2Moss Mine #3 Taken from the mossback looking north simply because there wasnt much at the mine to take a picture of but tailings.post-1755-0-40976300-1308271519_thumb.jppost-1755-0-17149500-1308271593_thumb.pnpost-1755-0-48212600-1308271619_thumb.pn Newer GPS units list the names of the mines.

Well I gotta tell ya JS that I didnt do much detecting, mostly drywashing and it was good so I dont see why detecting wouldnt pay off. there was no steel A frame anymore although there was a huge one at the Moss mine, I'll see if I can find some photo's. But if you get the chance to go back...take it!! its very cool in that area, theres a spot nearby called silver spring and water runs year round according to the locals, we did some sluicing and worked the gold magic spiral wheel in the running water it was alot of fun to sit in the water when its 100+ degrees and still be able to run dirt, got alot of pickers too, It wasnt alot of water but enough to work.#1 silvercreek #2Moss Mine #3 Taken from the mossback looking north simply because there wasnt much at the mine to take a picture of but tailings.post-1755-0-40976300-1308271519_thumb.jppost-1755-0-17149500-1308271593_thumb.pnpost-1755-0-48212600-1308271619_thumb.pn Newer GPS units list the names of the mines.

Thanks for the photos Bucket! We did check out the Moss Mine while we were there, however, there were several drunken idiots there when we rolled-up so we went on our way. I am familiar with Silver Spring and visited that place in the late 60's while I was stationed in 29 Palms Marine Base. I spent almost every weekend in Oatman, Az drinking and playing music in the old Mission Inn Bar & Grill. The building is still there but not the same business. My buddy and I did a lot of exploration of many of the mines back in those days. They were not sealed off as most are today. We did some pretty stupid and dangerous exploration of many mines back then. Which reminds me, ever drink so much that you try and ride the wild burros in Oatman? That was another stupid stunt we did while young and stupid.

Being new to all of this Bucket, would I need permission to MD the areas around Oatman, Az these days? Or, is the area pretty much open to Detectorists?

Thanks again for your info Bucket, and the photos bring back wonderful memories. Jay

Now thats plain funny!! :yuk-yuk: no the drunkest I've been took me only as far as to say that I would try it if given the opportunity, luckily no burros showed up where we were. We did spend a little time in "Judy's Bar" it was cool. As far as needing permission to detect around that area, I might not be the guy to answer that, cause I'll detect anywhere I dont see claim markers or private property signs, so to me the area seemed wide open for business!!!

Now thats plain funny!! :yuk-yuk: no the drunkest I've been took me only as far as to say that I would try it if given the opportunity, luckily no burros showed up where we were. We did spend a little time in "Judy's Bar" it was cool. As far as needing permission to detect around that area, I might not be the guy to answer that, cause I'll detect anywhere I dont see claim markers or private property signs, so to me the area seemed wide open for business!!!

My buddy and I operate pretty much the same, we watch for "No Tresspassing" signs and claim markers. However, around my neck of the woods most of the good prospecting areas are on private property, at least as far as my limited experience can tell.

Back to the Burros! Back in those old days the Burros would come into town looking for water or food. When they were seen on the street in front of the Mission Inn all it took for for someone to start making bets and there was always someone to chance a ride. One guy was just attempting to mount the beast when the Burro reached back and bit him on his side. It took out quite a chunk of tissue from his side. After that, I never tried it again! Later Bucket!

I never did get the chance to try and ride wild burros, but I did take a 3-wheel motorcycle for a heck of a ride through some jungles in the Philippines. Until I flew off the cliff. Man, 3-wheelers can really burn and throw off the sparks when they have a mind to.

Quit drinking permanently shortly after that escapade.

Paul

I never did get the chance to try and ride wild burros, but I did take a 3-wheel motorcycle for a heck of a ride through some jungles in the Philippines. Until I flew off the cliff. Man, 3-wheelers can really burn and throw off the sparks when they have a mind to.

Quit drinking permanently shortly after that escapade.

Paul

Wow! Paul, that must have been some wild ride. Hope you were not hurt. Well, I do not drink like I did when I was in my early 20's, now, I just have an occassional beer, or a little wine with dinner once in a great while! Take care Paul!

Thanks JSG,

Nah, I wasn't hurt. It was only about 20 feet high, and me and my partner bounced off trees and bushes and stuff on the way down so it wasn't as bad a landing as you might think. I hate to say it, but being blitzed probably helped in that situation because we didn't fight about it, just made the landing, got back up and worked our way back to civilization. Went back to the strip of bars in fact.

Being young and in the Navy back then were some wild times. I guess I had some "expeditions" in about every country in south East Asia at one point or another. Fun times. But at the time I was sure I'd live forever. I don't think I'd get myself into most of those situations any more.

Paul