Nugget Shooter Forums

Hot in the desert now....

LOL! A little? I'd be tickled Pink to find half of that in a few hours.

Swamp box cooler belt to a pop last night. No Wheeles to go get a new one. Gotta wait until the Darling WW comes home to get a new one.

Lucky for me it's only hitting 100* here today. Nice and cool right now at 56* Desert is a funny place. Gold/Cold at nite and flipping Toasty about 2:00 in the after noon times.

Dang Van is down and no hunting for me.

Wifes Peanut car can't get there. Eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

LOL! A little? I'd be tickled Pink to find half of that in a few hours.

Swamp box cooler belt to a pop last night. No Wheeles to go get a new one. Gotta wait until the Darling WW comes home to get a new one.

Lucky for me it's only hitting 100* here today. Nice and cool right now at 56* Desert is a funny place. Gold/Cold at nite and flipping Toasty about 2:00 in the after noon times.

Dang Van is down and no hunting for me.

Wifes Peanut car can't get there. Eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Not several hours, that was over the last several weekends. I have seen places produce that much though in a few runs and would love to see another some day!

I'm wrapping things up here in Michigan, no results in on the white cubes yet. Will be back in the Mojave dry-washing by July. The following are my tips for mining in the summer time in the desert, my favorite time.

Wear a black floppy hat with a wet bar towel on your head, and thin cotten gloves on your hands. Rewet the towel as soon as your ears feel warm.

Long sleeve levi shirt over a black t-shirt with black levi pants tucked into your socks to keep bees from crawling up your pant-legs.

Keep your panning tub inside a tent because of bees. I buy gator-aid mix and drink it warm, no cold drinks.

I stay on the claims for 5/6 days then get resupplied, I do well on three gallons of water per day including panning. I save the 50mesh and finer for harley's Blue-bowl when He comes back in the fall.

Thank you for your interest, bob

OK ... Call me a dumb a$$ but why all the black? This New England Yankee soon (like this coming Sunday) to be moving to AZ would have been dressed in tan, light khaki or white ... maybe even one of my light blue or light green fishing shirts (with long sleeves of course). Why not something like that rather than black?

Mike F

OK ... Call me a dumb a$$ but why all the black? This New England Yankee soon (like this coming Sunday) to be moving to AZ would have been dressed in tan, light khaki or white ... maybe even one of my light blue or light green fishing shirts (with long sleeves of course). Why not something like that rather than black?

Mike F

And this lifelong desert rat dresses just like the rest of the natives...In loose white cotton and a raffia hat soaked in water. Reflection is the key to being cool!

Yup me too...

Long sleeve white shirt over T-shirt with BDU britches gloves and a wet hat with brim when drywashing in summer....

Dark colors seem to draw the darn gnats worse... :unsure:

If I went out there dressed like that with all that black , they'd be lookin for me in a day or 2 cause I didn't make it home.

I can't even wear jeans anymore in the heat of the summer its just too dammm hot the heavy material won't breath at all.

I have spent some of the hottest days in years past "triple digits" rototilling, raking, pick and shovel and it seems with each season that passes................ I'm gettin OLD :olddude:

I love the summer months here because most areas are void of people, and also the extended daylight starts at 5 AM but like I said each passin season it seems harder for me to do what I've done the years before, GEE I wonder why ???? :inocent:

OH YEAH, and Bill, NICE WORK FER SURE, OR SHOULD I SAY ...NICE SPOT YOU FOUND TO DRYWASH. :thumbsupanim

Great work with the drywasher Bill! beer.gif

This will make some of you sick...we've only had about 3 days above 70.F all year (like

since last Fall!). Nothing but cold days, clouds, drizzle ..and I'm lucky if I get a quick

peek at a star or two..then the clouds and rain roll back in. My telescopes are getting

moldy from lack of use. I found this poor chap up at one of my observing sites. He had a note

in his hand that said.."Waiting for clear skies"...

skeleton-in-chair.jpg

100º+ temps? I wouldn't last 5 min. out in them..white shirt, black shirt or no shirt. sSig_aaarggh.gif

Mike

If I went out there dressed like that with all that black , they'd be lookin for me in a day or 2 cause I didn't make it home.

I can't even wear jeans anymore in the heat of the summer its just too dammm hot the heavy material won't breath at all.

I have spent some of the hottest days in years past "triple digits" rototilling, raking, pick and shovel and it seems with each season that passes................ I'm gettin OLD :olddude:

I love the summer months here because most areas are void of people, and also the extended daylight starts at 5 AM but like I said each passin season it seems harder for me to do what I've done the years before, GEE I wonder why ???? :inocent:

OH YEAH, and Bill, NICE WORK FER SURE, OR SHOULD I SAY ...NICE SPOT YOU FOUND TO DRYWASH. :thumbsupanim

I agree Frank. I used to LOVE the heat and could not get enough. After a few decades I found that I can always put on a coat and be comfortable in the cold but you just cant get away from the heat. I am more sensitive to the heat each year.

Now I have moved to a climate that has four seasons and long cold winters. I LOVE IT. If I want the desert and the heat it is only a few miles away, but I can always come back home to the cool pines and be comfortable. Heck, I dont even have an air conditioner and very few of my neighbors do either!

I had a buddy that swore on wearing black. For me, I CAN feel the difference. Light colors, and loose and breathable! And I just bought an umbrella! Cheap shade :rolleyes:

Jim

I first moved from Michigan to southern Mojave Desert in July of 1974 at the age of 30, and have spent the better half of the past 28 years there.

I met quite a few old miners then and they all wore light colored hats, t-shirts, and pants. None of them would mine in the summers. My grand fathers and great uncles all wore long-underwear, bib-overhauls and long sleeve shirts, farming in Michigan. Their reasoning was to keep the body moisture in, light color cloathes shed moisture.

In the 70's I met two Apache Indians and their families in eastern Yuma county, they all wore black or dark blue cloathing with wet towels under their black hats and spent all their daylight hours working outdoors. They live in adobe homes without air-conditioning and warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Try it for a day, as long as your ears are moist your whole body will feel cool.

I wore black pants working outside in summer here when it was 115, and let me tell you, those pants could not be in the direct sunlight that long without burning my legs, and me up. Never wore them in the summer again.

IIRC, wasn't Calif, going to outlaw black colored cars because they absorb too much heat?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/california-to-reduce-carbon-emissions-by-banning-black-cars/

If you're not sold on white (or light colors) being cooler to wear than dark colors, there's

a simple and easy experiment you can do to change your mind.

Get 2 thermometers (same kind), 2 plastic beer cups and a white shirt and a black shirt of

equally dense material. Put the thermometers in the cups, cover one cup with a white shirt

and the other with a black shirt. Set them both in the Sun for 5 min., and then see if the

temps are different. I've never tried it but my guess is the white shirt covered cup will be

a couple of degrees cooler than the other.

Mike

A young Arab asks his father, "What is that weird hat you are wearing?"

The father said, "Why, it's a 'chechia' because in the desert it protects

our heads from the sun."

"And what is this type of clothing that you are wearing?" asked the young man.

"It's a 'djbellah' because in the desert it is very hot and it protects the

body." said the father.

The son asked, "And what about those ugly shoes on your feet?

His father replied, "These are 'babouches", which keep us from burning our

feet in the desert."

"So tell me then," added the boy.

"Yes, my son?"

"Why are you living in St Paul, Minn. and still wearing all this $h*&?"

Nice batch of gold there Bill. It sure does add up!

Paul

It is fairly common knowledge that black absorbs heat and white reflects it. That is why a light colored roof is cooler, that is why a solar panel is painted black, that is why a building surrounded by asphalt is hotter and why every person in the desert wears light colors... Except a few.

White Sands and Malpais are 60 miles away from each other at the same altitude. It is consistently 10 degrees hotter in Malpais on black lava as in White Sands on a pure white sands.

A concrete blanket is black on one side and silver on the other. You place the black side out to absorb heat and the reflective side inward to keep the heat of the chemical reaction inside.

In every situation where colors are used to absorb or reflect radiant heat white is used to cool and black is used to heat.

Just a WAG (wild ass guess) but maybe there are some cold blooded folks in the human race ... they say there are aliens amongst us! :inocent::) :) :) That is the only way I can explain wearing black in the heat of the desert where it even begins to make sense. :shrug:

Mike F

Quick high school science review: Heat is transmitted in three ways [1] conduction, [2] convection and [3] radiation. White reflects radiation. Black absorbs it. Same rules apply in the desert.

Just a WAG (wild ass guess) but maybe there are some cold blooded folks in the human race ... they say there are aliens amongst us! :inocent::) :) :) That is the only way I can explain wearing black in the heat of the desert where it even begins to make sense. :shrug:

Mike F

Even animals lighten considerably in the heat. The ony critters I can think of that gets darker in the summer months is a snowshoe hare, a marmot and a ferret and they all live above 11,000 feet where there are 9 months of winter. They get lighter to camo them in the snow rather than for thermal control. All other animals in the desert lighten up for the summer.

The aliens that land in New Mexico wear clothing made from white cotton flour sacks and light colored straw hats. At least the ones from planet Mexico. And I hear that the Roswell aliens wore reflective silver as well. Even the lowrider they drove from their home planet was rumored to be reflective. I do see a few folks here driving black automobiles but the interior is about a zillion degrees and the folks inside are generally slick with sweat. I dont know anyone who works or lives in the outdoors that will purchase a dark colored truck for that very reason. I have always bought a white vehicle simply because it is a hell of a lot cooler in the sun. And those heat tiles on the Space SHuttle are black on the bottom and white on the top to reflect the sun in space and to absorb the heat of re-entry.

But then Johnny Cash was the man in black. He was cool. But I doubt he spent any time in the desert grubbing for gold in the blistering sun wearing a black cape.

I was out floating in the pool keeping cool. My young bride was yacking on the phone siting in the sun and had yet to get in the pool this year because the water was cold. Next thing i know i hear a loud splash. She had ripped off her clothes and jumped in. The sun baked her brain. She still had the phone in her hand it's a sight i won't soon forget

Even animals lighten considerably in the heat. The ony critters I can think of that gets darker in the summer months is a snowshoe hare, a marmot and a ferret and they all live above 11,000 feet where there are 9 months of winter. They get lighter to camo them in the snow rather than for thermal control. All other animals in the desert lighten up for the summer.

The aliens that land in New Mexico wear clothing made from white cotton flour sacks and light colored straw hats. At least the ones from planet Mexico. And I hear that the Roswell aliens wore reflective silver as well. Even the lowrider they drove from their home planet was rumored to be reflective. I do see a few folks here driving black automobiles but the interior is about a zillion degrees and the folks inside are generally slick with sweat. I dont know anyone who works or lives in the outdoors that will purchase a dark colored truck for that very reason. I have always bought a white vehicle simply because it is a hell of a lot cooler in the sun. And those heat tiles on the Space SHuttle are black on the bottom and white on the top to reflect the sun in space and to absorb the heat of re-entry.

But then Johnny Cash was the man in black. He was cool. But I doubt he spent any time in the desert grubbing for gold in the blistering sun wearing a black cape.

Bob that is about the funniest post I have seen you post in a long time ... Thanks for restoring my faith in your sense of humor! :) I was expecting you to post a reply to my post and had hoped you would take it in the sense of humor that it was written! You didn't disappoint! :) :)

Mike F

I was out floating in the pool keeping cool. My young bride was yacking on the phone siting in the sun and had yet to get in the pool this year because the water was cold. Next thing i know i hear a loud splash. She had ripped off her clothes and jumped in. The sun baked her brain. She still had the phone in her hand it's a sight i won't soon forget

Photos? Videos? We certainly would not want to forget that moment either.