Nugget Shooter Forums

My First Holbrook find

Hi all,

Spent about 6 hours hunting the Holbrook strewn filed this weekend. Found two meteorites and one wannabe.

I posted the pics of my first Holbrook find under Recent Finds on my web page.

Now, the first one ended up being pretty big as you will see looking at the pictures. :rolleyes: I obtained two hay bales and hauled it up next to them for a size comparison.<_< The second one is 1/2 the size of the first and I have not had time to do anything with it yet. The wannabee needs a few opinions when I get a chance will post.

Enjoy the pics. Click on them to get the full macro effect!

http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org

Jim

Hi all,

Spent about 6 hours hunting the Holbrook strewn filed this weekend. Found two meteorites and one wannabe.

I posted the pics of my first Holbrook find under Recent Finds on my web page.

Now, the first one ended up being pretty big as you will see looking at the pictures. :rolleyes: I obtained two hay bales and hauled it up next to them for a size comparison.<_< The second one is 1/2 the size of the first and I have not had time to do anything with it yet. The wannabee needs a few opinions when I get a chance will post.

Enjoy the pics. Click on them to get the full macro effect!

Jim

Jim

Congrats on the finds. Did you find them by sight/ mag stick or did you use a metal detector?

Richard aka kgmrg

Aloha Jim,

As usual you never cease to amaze me with the time you are able to put in out in the field.:thumbsupanim Nice job, especially for your first time out there.

Aloha and be safe this summer.

Stan aka Kaimi

Thanks guys! What a challenge, eh?

I posted the picture of the second find.

Weights?happy0193[1].gifhappy0193[1].gif :hahaha: :hahaha:

Both of them make my scale read 0.5g. It takes a while and thinks about it....so I am guessing just under 0.5g! :eee:

The hunt next month should be a blast.

Jim

Very nice...you have the eyes of an eagle...or, you are hunting with Binoculars...or, you were crawling around on all fours like I did....whatever method good job!

Fred

There was a method to my madness!

Shoot' em all first, sort' em out later. These things are so small, and I normally use reading glasses to read, it was impossible for me to tell without my loupe. However, these itty bitty meteorites look just like their big counter parts. Fairly complete specimens.

Jim - Proud member of the Itty Bitty Meteorite Committee :thumbsupanim

Hi Jim,

Congratulations, NICE Finds!!! :thumbsupanim

I was wondering: 1) How well do they stick to a magnet? 2) Were they on the surface, or partially buried?

I'm looking forward to meeting you in July. :spinnin:

Dale Romero

www.findameteorite.com

Hi Jim,

Congratulations, NICE Finds!!! :thumbsupanim

I was wondering: 1) How well do they stick to a magnet? 2) Were they on the surface, or partially buried?

I'm looking forward to meeting you in July. :spinnin:

Dale Romero

www.findameteorite.com

Hi Dale!

It's going to be a fun time I think and will be a pleasure meeting you and everyone! I am looking forward to it.

I use an N52 1" x 2" x 0.25" magnet on my stick and these stuck to it pretty good. You could flick them off it you tried. Lots of stuff sticks out there.

Pretty much on the surface and stuck to the top layer which is almost like a dry lake.

Jim

Both of them make my scale read 0.5g. It takes a while and thinks about it....so I am guessing just under 0.5g! :eee:

The hunt next month should be a blast.

Jim

Wow! I thought the biggest one was at least gold ball sized. :hahaha: :shrug: Good photography though. :thumbsupanim I could use a good photographer right now. :hmmmmm:

Steve

Nice finds Jim!! Really very nice pics too! Yea you can get pretty blurry eyed look'n for the little guys, with the bright sun and light surface, ya start going sort of snow blind. In the heat delerium - maybe ants do tradzes - one little piece of oreo cookie - and they hall up a Holbrook for trade... couldn't hurt to try.

Good Hunting! Clifton

While it's not the largest find, it's still a Holbrook. I'm impressed with your ability to spot something that small in the overwhelming maze of stuff on the desert floor. I haven't hunted Holbrook yet but it's on my space rock bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

mick

While it's not the largest find, it's still a Holbrook. I'm impressed with your ability to spot something that small in the overwhelming maze of stuff on the desert floor. I haven't hunted Holbrook yet but it's on my space rock bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

mick

Thanks all! It sure is a challenge, that's for sure!

Hey Mick, there is a hunt upcoming in Holbrook. July 16th. A fairly good size group of folks should be there. It should be a blast and would love to see you there!

I put together a quick page with some details. http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org/Holbrook/holbrook.html It's a work in progress with info gathered from three different forums.

Jim

Sure didn't mean to be disrespectful with my comment about the size. But it does look a lot bigger in the photo then the actual weight.

Oh no!!! not taken with any disrespect,,,,it''s all good! They are itty bitty. That's why I referenced the first find to rabbit turds( hay bales)...to get the size comparison! I could only wish that they were as big as you thought!!! How cool would that be!!happy0193[1].gif I am really happy with my camera.

I had to dig out my grain scale to get a good read on the weight!!!

First one ends up being 5.2 grains or 0.3369 grams if my math is right.

Second smaller one is 1.5 grains or 0.09 grams if my math is correct. This one is my smallest find to date for an OC and my #62 find for the year!

I have two gram scales...a 500g pocket scale that I use the most and a 2kg scale, just for wishful thinking! Neither of them weight very good under 1 gram. So, out comes the grain scale. And, if the earth doesn't wobble much and I point the thing to my latitude, I can measure 1/10th of 1 grain with it.

I wonder what the smallest Holbrook meteorite is anyone has here???:rolleyes:

I went looking for Holbrook Meteorites for sale and found some on Anne Black's web site. They were from Ben's Son, Eric :thumbsupanim . Those baby's go for a pretty penny! Nice to see an OC actually being sold at a reasonable price! None of this $2/g horse donga.

Thanks all! It sure is a challenge, that's for sure!

Hey Mick, there is a hunt upcoming in Holbrook. July 16th. A fairly good size group of folks should be there. It should be a blast and would love to see you there!

I put together a quick page with some details. http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org/Holbrook/holbrook.html It's a work in progress with info gathered from three different forums.

Jim

Thanks Jim. On the 16th I have a date with a Montana trout. I'll be camped at Georgetown Lake near Anaconda MT. I am hoping to do a meteorite hunt on the way home in Nevada. I look forward to your report

mick

I went looking for Holbrook Meteorites for sale and found some on Anne Black's web site. They were from Ben's Son, Eric :thumbsupanim . Those baby's go for a pretty penny! Nice to see an OC actually being sold at a reasonable price! None of this $2/g horse donga.

Hi Jim-

If I recall correctly, someone found a holbrook that weighed almost a kilo about 2 or 3 years ago. So there's still the possibility of finding a big one. Just need to go where no man has gone before.... Can you imagine the price on that one?

Steve

Hi Steve,

You're thinking of the find that Lary Atkins made. My son and I had an outstanding hunt there at about the same time but, obviously, his find eclipsed ours, understandably. From time to time, pieces from the atins find go up for sale. I don't think they have any crust though.

Ben

Hi Steve,

You're thinking of the find that Lary Atkins made. My son and I had an outstanding hunt there at about the same time but, obviously, his find eclipsed ours, understandably. From time to time, pieces from the atins find go up for sale. I don't think they have any crust though.

Ben

Hi Ben!

I have not seen Larry's stone, you speak of. Very cool hearing about it! However, I find it darn hard to beat these perfectly complete itty bitties! They are awesome...and look so good.

I have been searching many a web site in the last few days. While hunting there at holbrook, I did pick up a bunch of railroad fragments. However, I am seeing at least one web site with a specimen that claims to be a meteorite that looks to me exactly like the railroad iron.

The pictures do not allow to get into the detail needed to really tell. For me, the differences are obvious.

So my question is....of all the meteorites you have found there.....how many of them are broken fragments (no fusion) as opposed to complete stones???

Jim

When I was in Holbrook I was having a bad back attack. I sat near the camper and ran the magnet over the ant hills and through the blown sand on the hummocks. I got a few dozen pieces of nothing but fusion crust. The small particles of fusion crust are literally everywhere. I noticed that I could find the remnants of the fusion crust MUCH MORE READILY than any of the stones.

Now I use that same technique when hunting cold areas. Instead of spending hours searching for stones that may or may not be there I investigate the micro world. I have located two areas that have fusion crust particles that look a lot like Holbrook and I have decided to concentrate in these areas as a result of what I have seen on the micro level. It has been my experience (so far) that it is easier to identify a fall by the tiny particles rather than the large ones... Much like a placer area.

When I was in Holbrook I was having a bad back attack. I sat near the camper and ran the magnet over the ant hills and through the blown sand on the hummocks. I got a few dozen pieces of nothing but fusion crust. The small particles of fusion crust are literally everywhere. I noticed that I could find the remnants of the fusion crust MUCH MORE READILY than any of the stones.

Now I use that same technique when hunting cold areas. Instead of spending hours searching for stones that may or may not be there I investigate the micro world. I have located two areas that have fusion crust particles that look a lot like Holbrook and I have decided to concentrate in these areas as a result of what I have seen on the micro level. It has been my experience (so far) that it is easier to identify a fall by the tiny particles rather than the large ones... Much like a placer area.

The stuff I collected that maybe considered fusion, appears to be decomposing rail road iron under magnification with no evidence of being meteoric (is that a word?). You got any macro pics of your finds I could see? I'd like to post at least one on my Holbrook hunt page.

Jim