Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab dome top battery...

Here's the question....just went back a few notches by buying a GP3500 as back-up so also back to

the heavier than a brick dome top battery...I know it's supposed to be charged standing upright but

can it be used upside down in the Minelab back pack??? Since ML only put holes in the bottom of the

back pack the power cord and the phone cord work best by turning the battery upside down....any

thoughts on using the battery in this position????

Garimpo,

Really?

You have to detect with a dome top battery?

I knew you were tough, but that proves it.

I thought the days of hunting with that amount of battery weight on your back

were gone.

Maybe someone will contribute a lighter battery to your cause.

If I had an extra one it would be in the mail to you today.

All the best,

Flak

Here's the question....just went back a few notches by buying a GP3500 as back-up so also back to

the heavier than a brick dome top battery...I know it's supposed to be charged standing upright but

can it be used upside down in the Minelab back pack??? Since ML only put holes in the bottom of the

back pack the power cord and the phone cord work best by turning the battery upside down....any

thoughts on using the battery in this position????

It is "supposed" to be sealed . (SLA=Sealed Lead Acid) .Upside down shouldn't matter .

Flak I bought the 3500 last week while in OKC and the "concrete block" aka battery came with the

unit...I sold my 3000 over a year ago but still have the charger for it and the 3500 installed in

my PU....my grand-sons other grand-pa used it today so the weight didn't

bother me a bit... :hahaha:

paratrooper I was thinking along the same lines as you...it's worked good

twice now in that position...if it goes tango uniform I'll post it...

thanks for the reply...

Mine has layed upside down in the closet since the day I bought the detector. It hasn't seemed to hurt it at all. I have no idea if it will run the detector but the battery seems just fine...

Those 18V. LI DeWalt drill motor batteries make great power sources. I had a friend wire up a voltage regulator from $8 worth of stuff from Radio Shack and I have the best darn Pocket Racket battery replacement you have ever seen. The charger is great, the batteries last, and I can get an immediate replacement at any Home Depot or hardware store for cheap. I can run a light, a radio/tape player, a drill, a small saw, and I can quarter an elk with a sawzall using the same battery that I detect with.

A great set-up you have there BB....I'm a little short on Radio Shacks....Home Depot and all those

wonderful "second homes"....

Since this GP3500 is a back-up for me I'll just have to do with the dome top brick....thanks for

the advice....

Had something strange happen today with my Minelab GP4000 battery....when I first started beeping

this AM the volts were at 8.1...after three hours I quite for lunch and the volts were at 7.8...

about an hour later started to beep again and the detector wouldn't even turn on...put it on charge

for thirty minutes and the detector turned on and the volts said 8.0....so now I'm wondering if the

volts were below 7.3 why from 7.8 down below 7.3 while not being used...also how did it get to 8.0

in just thirty minutes....I'll check it out tomorrow in the slave digs....

How about poking new holes in the backpack?

Nothing unusual about the charge time for the GPX battery, there made to top off during the lunch break.

This is the battery system I'm using on my 3000 fromBill & Linda's Prospecting.

Small and very light.

Chris that sure looks like a great battery system if you can get four hours out of one battery...

cutting new holes in the back pack at the top of the sides is how I've been doing it...thanks for posting about the batteries...

I've been getting about 6 hours.

I put one on the solar charger and two on the detector.

I'm in the process of making a setup for the 45 looks like the cost will be well under $150 with a new amp.

i don't know about you but I cringe when I think about paying $500+ for a replacement.

• 1 month later...