Nugget Shooter Forums

Greaterville and all C.N.F. lands closed ...

AZ4AU

News Release

USDA Forest Service Coronado National Forest

www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado

Effective Immediately

CORONADO NATIONAL FOREST TO CLOSE JUNE 9 Extreme Fire Danger, Threats to Public Safety Cause Temporary Closure

Tucson, AZ (June 6, 2011) – Due to extreme fire danger and concern for public safety, the Coronado National Forest will be closed to all public use beginning at noon on Thursday, June 9 (36 CFR 261.52[e]).

The temporary closure applies to all ranger districts of the Coronado National Forest, and includes visitor centers, campgrounds, picnic areas, trails, summer cabins, organization camps and all other public uses. District Rangers may authorize use for specifically permitted activities through Special-Use Permits. Violation of the closure is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.

On the Santa Catalina Ranger District, the Catalina Highway (Mt. Lemmon Highway) will remain open during daylight hours so visitors may access Summerhaven atop Mt. Lemmon. Vehicles may not stop along the highway, and must use it strictly to access Summerhaven. The road will be closed at night.

This closure will be lifted when significant moisture is received to reduce the wildfire threat to manageable levels.

Unbelievable!! Why not close the oceans to boating because the waves are too big? Or close all major league stadiums because people may get hit by a foul ball? It is pathetic when a government entity can close off an entire section of public land just because there may be ONE idiot out there who may start a fire. I understand the concern for safety, but let's be realistic! EVERY SINGLE THING you do in life has its inherent dangers. You drive to the store, you may get hit by a drunk driver. You go to the bank to pull out some money, and some guy walks in and robs the place and shoots you. You go walking through the forest, and a bear comes out and attacks you. People are just WAY too dang paranoid nowadays.

"This closure will be lifted when significant moisture is received to reduce the wildfire threat to manageable levels."

I guess being urinated on by the White House for the last two-years isn't enough significant moisture..

"This closure will be lifted when significant moisture is received to reduce the wildfire threat to manageable levels."

I guess being urinated on by the White House for the last two-years isn't enough significant moisture..

:hahaha:happy0193[1].gif

Aint that the truth.

Hell yea! I'm sure the illegals and drug traffickers will abide by the closure too, how many of these fires were started by them? Thank you FED for protecting us from ourselves.

You think they'll fine the illegals caught in the forest 5K? Ha! Hell no. They'll take them to the hospital and nurse them back to health before dropping them off in Mexico. There's comfort in consistency I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Kim,

Been doing OK.

I looked on the Nat. Forest website today and didn't see anything stating when they would reopen.

Just heard on the radio they issued a flash flood warning for the area today, so hopefully won't be to much longer.

I guess a flash flood is not sufficient moisture. Maybe it will take a tsunami.

Here's some food for thought. The MN state government shut down because they have no money because the governor and legislators can't agree on a budget. (Hear the tic tic in DC?)

All the state parks are now closed along with highway rest areas and all kinds of other "public" places. What, exactly, does the "public" own in this country? How is it that some bureaucrat in Washington or the state capitol got the authority to "close" public places?

Is that in the constitution?