Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C Denny Run*

Minelab X-Terra 305....?

Howdy fellas. I'm in the beginning stages of learning the art of prospecting, and want to get off on the right foot. I understand that having the right equipment is a larg portion of the game, and could be the key to having a successful weekend. Being that I'm new to this, and have yet to even prospect, I'm definitely hesitant to make a large purchase (I.E. GPX5000) so I was wondering if any of you have used Minelabs more inexpensive products.

The X-terra 305 appears to be a pretty effective product, and has great reviews, and is in the 300-400 dollar range. Is this worth the money, or do you think I'll wind up just selling it for less than I bought it, and spending more money on another unit, within a few months?

Your input/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks

-Regards

Hi Denny,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

The xTerra 305 is a coin detector. If you need to stay in that price range then I'd recommend the Whites GMZ a great entry level gold detecter.

The 705 would be the choice for prospecting (of the xTerra line). It is IMHO the best of the all propose units.

Join a prospecting club in your area. Thats the best way to learn the art.

Some other good choices, (in no order) fisher gold bug II and there gb pro, whites gmt, minelab eureka gold, tesoro lobo super traq.

Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Chris

Awesome, thanks Chris! I really appreciate your advice/input. It has been noted! I greatly look forward to posting my findings, progress, and contributing where I can.

Thanks again!

Hi Denny,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

The xTerra 305 is a coin detector. If you need to stay in that price range then I'd recommend the Whites GMZ a great entry level gold detecter.

The 705 would be the choice for prospecting (of the xTerra line). It is IMHO the best of the all propose units.

Join a prospecting club in your area. Thats the best way to learn the art.

Some other good choices, (in no order) fisher gold bug II and there gb pro, whites gmt, minelab eureka gold, tesoro lobo super traq.

Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Chris

What Chris said....

I found three tiny bits with my x-70, two were too small to weigh on my digital scale and one was 2 or 3 grains...and this was in an area were many other Minelab Pi and various vlf units had been. If you buy the x-705 be sure to get the dd prospecting coil for your best chance to get nuggets...any of the other units will find gold but for a multi-purpose VLF, the Xterra 70 and now 705 are hard to beat.

fred

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Looks like I have quite a few options to weigh...... That's one of the things I was concerned about, was whether or not the unit I get will be sensitive enough to pick up on the tiny, tiny stuff. Being that that's probably what I'm going to find the most of around my neck of the woods.

Thank you!