Nugget Shooter Forums

New guy, with new guy questions...

Hey guy! Thanks for the access to this great forum! So far it's been a huge help.

My good friend and I are both VERY new the world of prospecting, and are just getting started. When I was much younger, I helped my mothers friend clean his dredge, and pan what he didn't want to at the time. It was loads of fun, and I'm glad I finally decided to get back in to it!

My questions are:

1. With out spending tons of cash, what would be the recommended starter equipment? So far I have Washington's "Gold&Fish" book that is required, a pan, homemade mini-sluice, and glass collection vials. Any other recommendations?

2. Are there any good online sites to go to, for locating decent places for newbies to pan? Or do any of you happen to know any rivers/streams in the Washington state area that have been known for good placer mining?

3. If a stream is gold bearing, should there be signs of flakes up and down most of it, or will it mostly be concentrated only in a few areas? Reason I'm asking, is because I'll probably be prospecting many places that haven't been documented claims, and just want a good idea of when to quit. If I spend a whole day moving up and down a river/stream and find nothing in the most likely spots, would that be typical, even for a gold bearing site?

Sorry for the newbie questions..... I guess you have to start somewhere, right?

Thanks in advance fellas! Any info will help. Cheers!

-Denny

Howdy Denny, and welcome to Nuggetshooter!howdy.gif

I'm also in Washington state, but without knowing *where* you are it's hard to make

suggestions. I've not had much success, but then I'm nearly a newbie myself as it's been

almost 30 years since I did any serious prospecting.

I've been considering joining the Washington Prospectors Mining Association, as they do have

numerous claims around the state that we can access. I've found some success on the North and

South forks of the Nooksack (near Bellingham), but it is only very light "flood gold". Fun to

find all the same, but I'm looking forward to being able to work some good ground one of these

days in in the near future.

Mike

Thanks mike! I'm in the South Sound. Covington to be exact. That's good to know, thanks for the info. I haven't heard of any real huge success here in Wa, but I figure it'll be a lot of fun to see what's around. Bellingham isn't too far. It would be well worth a day trip to try my luck.

If you're ever in the Kent/Covington area, let me know, and I'll buy you a beer :)

What i was told was to just start test panning all over the creeks if you get a 5 or 6 + flakes in a few test pans grab some materiel and start sluicing. Working the bedrock has worked best for me just digging in the cracks with a wire coat hanger and a home made suction tool made out of some 1/8 inch rubber hose, water bottle and some duct tape. Gold will be all over the creek in small amounts but you will find more flakes where the gold is settling. Getting down as low as you can is key.

Thanks Christopher! Much appreciated. That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. I've been checking out metal detectors for the last few hours, and was thinking it would be a great place to start as well.

Either way, it'll just be great to be out in the woods, playing in the water, and dreaming of (any sized) nuggets washing up. Ha ha!

Thanks for the input!

Denny, with the temps so warm the spot I go to is underwater at the moment. Probably will be

for a couple weeks till some of the snow melt is gone. Good thing is the high water is

probably just depositing more gold on the bar.. woot-035.gif

I was there just last Sat., and the river was running high enough that we only had about 5' of

bank to access. It's a foot higher now (meaning no access unless you're an otter), but once

the water drops we'll get together and get some gold working in that new sluice of yours.

beer.gif

We could meet at the Denny's in Mount Vernon for breakfast, and be working the river an hour

later. I'm barely above the grade of "greenhorn" myself, but this spot has gold and is fun to work.

Mike

Sounds like a deal Mike :thumbsupanim: I really appreciate the offer to join you, and am definitely looking forward to it. Breakfast is on me! I'll PM you my number.

Ditch the glass vials in the trash can.

Yup Max I only use them glass ones at home for looking at as I have had one break in my pocket and recovering my gold was interesting at best, but I got it...

Also dropped a glass jar with several ounces while showing it off at one of the GB outings. least it was nuggets and I was able to recover them all. :rolleyes:

Welcome! I too am from Wa. A little farther north of Mike. Get a little gold from the Nutsac. For something a little closer to you try the Rageing Rv. where Highway 18 crosses it.Here there is color to be had there. I have not tried it yet.Like Mike says the river is really high. Have to cross it on I/5 to go to the store. I am a member of the WPMA. Good club with good claims. Getting ready to go to Grants Pass Or. for a week. Jet boat rides an Prospecting. If you want info on the WPMA, pm me I'll send you the info. John

Welcome! I too am from Wa. A little farther north of Mike. Get a little gold from the Nutsac. For something a little closer to you try the Rageing Rv. where Highway 18 crosses it.Here there is color to be had there. I have not tried it yet.Like Mike says the river is really high. Have to cross it on I/5 to go to the store. I am a member of the WPMA. Good club with good claims. Getting ready to go to Grants Pass Or. for a week. Jet boat rides an Prospecting. If you want info on the WPMA, pm me I'll send you the info. John

That's awesome John! Sounds like you're gona have a great time. I've been reading a lot about the Oregon gold.... Seems to be be some hot spots down there!

Thanks for the info on the Raging river. My girlfriend and I were going to do a little prospecting tomorrow...Looks like I know where we're going. I really appreciate it man!

I was on the WPMA site yesterday, and am definitely going to join. Thanks again!

-Denny

Ditch the glass vials in the trash can.

Great to know! Ha ha. I hadn't even thought about that. Since I already bought them, I think I'll just throw some clear tape on em, and call it good. Definitely something to keep in mind though! ;)

Yup Max I only use them glass ones at home for looking at as I have had one break in my pocket and recovering my gold was interesting at best, but I got it...

Also dropped a glass jar with several ounces while showing it off at one of the GB outings. least it was nuggets and I was able to recover them all. :rolleyes:

Well, at least you were able recover your jewls......And you didn't damage the (other) jewls :hahaha: That could have ended badly!

Get a little gold from the Nutsac.

:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

Yeah Johnno...we get some odd nicknames for all the rivers around here. A lot of Native

history involved with the whole region. Local rivers like The Nooksack, Bogachiel (aka:

Bogey), Sol Duc (aka: The Duck), and others.

IIRC, there's a few odd names from your homeland, too. My astronomy website form is about

80% Aussies, as my partners in the site are both well known Australian amateurs. Whole bunch

of 'em in the Hervey Bay area.

From looking at the map of Queensland, it appears that many of the town and region names

down there come from Aboriginal roots too? With cites like UllaDulla, Bundaberg, Moranbah

Caboolture and others, there has to be a few rather hilarious nicknames among 'em. :grin:

Mike

I only use them for photos when selling, you can get clear plastic ones from your druggist for carry purposes.

I can't remember how many of the give aways we picked up at Stanton through the years, it usualy rains for the outings and plop in to the mud they go between tables, the wife picked up a 1OZer full of pickers once.

But for sure when you have a bottle in your pocket and pull it out for "Show & Tell" sooner than later its dropped and busted.

Still they make for nice photos: Here's 18.57 OZ

post-7251-0-84020000-1307870796_thumb.jp

I only use them for photos when selling, you can get clear plastic ones from your druggist for carry purposes.

I can't remember how many of the give aways we picked up at Stanton through the years, it usualy rains for the outings and plop in to the mud they go between tables, the wife picked up a 1OZer full of pickers once.

But for sure when you have a bottle in your pocket and pull it out for "Show & Tell" sooner than later its dropped and busted.

Still they make for nice photos: Here's 18.57 OZ

This is the IRS here. Can you please get back with us

Yeah Johnno...we get some odd nicknames for all the rivers around here. A lot of Native

history involved with the whole region. Local rivers like The Nooksack, Bogachiel (aka:

Bogey), Sol Duc (aka: The Duck), and others.

IIRC, there's a few odd names from your homeland, too. My astronomy website form is about

80% Aussies, as my partners in the site are both well known Australian amateurs. Whole bunch

of 'em in the Hervey Bay area.

From looking at the map of Queensland, it appears that many of the town and region names

down there come from Aboriginal roots too? With cites like UllaDulla, Bundaberg, Moranbah

Caboolture and others, there has to be a few rather hilarious nicknames among 'em. :grin:

Mike

G'Day Mike

You're not wrong. I haven't really ventured into your area. But yes, Aussie has some weird names. Have been to most of the places you've mentioned.Love my Bundaberg Rum as well and Hervey Bay is my mum & dad's favorite vacation spot for the last 15 years.

The further you move from east to west, the bigger the tongue you're going to need to wrap around some of those names. Even meteorites are not excused (Millbillillee, Camel Donga, Billygoat Donga, Cocklebiddy, Coomandook, Kittakittaooloo) :hahaha:

I suppose we all have our wonders, but Nutsac, I think took the cake

Cheers,

Johnno

Yeah, we have some pretty goofy names here in Wa. When I first moved here, I had a hard time with some of them. I still get a laugh now and then.

Well, my fiance and I went and did some prospecting on the Raging River (which isn't so raging) Ha ha, and got us a few small flakes! It was a ton of fun, and now she want her own pan/gear! I decided to trash the sluice box I made, simply because there are much better options out there, for very cheap. I ordered one off ebay My link, that should be much more effective, and will be here no later than thursday. We are both very excited to get back to the river......We're pretty sure we found a sweet spot :D

I've gota say thanks again for the input yall have offered! I didn't expect everyone to be so generous, and willing to help.

Regards

-Denny

Yeah, we have some pretty goofy names here in Wa. When I first moved here, I had a hard time with some of them. I still get a laugh now and then.

Well, my fiance and I went and did some prospecting on the Raging River (which isn't so raging) Ha ha, and got us a few small flakes! It was a ton of fun, and now she want her own pan/gear! I decided to trash the sluice box I made, simply because there are much better options out there, for very cheap. I ordered one off ebay My link, that should be much more effective, and will be here no later than thursday. We are both very excited to get back to the river......We're pretty sure we found a sweet spot :D

I've gota say thanks again for the input yall have offered! I didn't expect everyone to be so generous, and willing to help.

Regards

-Denny

Good onya for taking your gal along! If she's wanting to get out there too, you'll both be having a ton of fun.

That sluice is the same one my partner (and neighbor) uses. He took another neighbor out for

his first prospecting trip today, and they went to an area on the Nooksack. He brought back

the cons in a gallon sized double thick baggie, and there was an awful lot of black sand in

there and it was pretty well peppered with 30-40 mesh sized flakes. If you get the chance

to come up some weekend we'll get Phil to come along with us. :miner:

Mike

OH Johonno!! Our fearless leaders have income tax figured out! We pay it ! They steal it!

I recently had the occasion to file amended state and Federal retunns, yes they wanted W-'evers for the sale of gold

So cutting back to the subject of "GOLD" the finding and keeping or not thereof? The IRS would like to see in your tax returns w-2 forms or storage recipts or what ever concerning the acquisition of and the disposition of assets.

Well since I had been in a division of the trucking indusrtry and had a good bookkeeper I didn't pay a lot of taxes and for part of the time I ran a "Pay to Play Operation" and had lots of expenses I I had no problem with a W -???? for selling gold.

I go to my claim I check 2 -160 acre association claims and another 40 acre claim adjoining mine, this make it a business trip and fully deductible, I can do this for 6 years- I'll be 81.

Max

This picture is 1 months clean up of the big blue Trommel. 360 oz.

No tax paid on this one!

And you don't put it in glass jars either!

This is the IRS here. Can you please get back with us

post-7251-0-37022100-1307946146_thumb.jp

post-7251-0-67680300-1307946182_thumb.jp

Good onya for taking your gal along! If she's wanting to get out there too, you'll both be having a ton of fun.

That sluice is the same one my partner (and neighbor) uses. He took another neighbor out for

his first prospecting trip today, and they went to an area on the Nooksack. He brought back

the cons in a gallon sized double thick baggie, and there was an awful lot of black sand in

there and it was pretty well peppered with 30-40 mesh sized flakes. If you get the chance

to come up some weekend we'll get Phil to come along with us. :miner:

Mike

Yeah, I got pretty lucky in the woman department! She said she loved it, and is just as excited to go back as I am (VERY). Ha ha. She's always been a good sport. Last January, she helped me install a 6" suspension lift in my 87' Ford Ranger, and totally enjoyed that as well.

Maybe sometime later this month, perhaps the 25th or 26th, I could head up your direction and join you guys? If that doesn't work, than just let me know what days do, and I'll try and make it happen ;) Thanks!

OH Johonno!! Our fearless leaders have income tax figured out! We pay it ! They steal it!

I recently had the occasion to file amended state and Federal retunns, yes they wanted W-'evers for the sale of gold

So cutting back to the subject of "GOLD" the finding and keeping or not thereof? The IRS would like to see in your tax returns w-2 forms or storage recipts or what ever concerning the acquisition of and the disposition of assets.

Well since I had been in a division of the trucking indusrtry and had a good bookkeeper I didn't pay a lot of taxes and for part of the time I ran a "Pay to Play Operation" and had lots of expenses I I had no problem with a W -???? for selling gold.

I go to my claim I check 2 -160 acre association claims and another 40 acre claim adjoining mine, this make it a business trip and fully deductible, I can do this for 6 years- I'll be 81.

Max

This picture is 1 months clean up of the big blue Trommel. 360 oz.

No tax paid on this one!

And you don't put it in glass jars either!

Holy cow Max, that is an enormous amount of gold! Makes me want to get out to the creek again.

That trommel was one heck of a good investment.

Rick

Mike, I use a plastic peanut butter jar for my cons. Fits in my backpac or tub with my recircing sluice.

Denny glad you and your gal found some color. Buying gear is 1/2 the fun of prospecting! LOL

Mike, I use a plastic peanut butter jar for my cons. Fits in my backpac or tub with my recircing sluice.

Denny glad you and your gal found some color. Buying gear is 1/2 the fun of prospecting! LOL

Thanks man! So true too. Ha ha. Gota love new toys.... I actually received the sluice box about ten minutes ago! It put me in a pretty good mood. It's always nice to get things before you expect them! I brought home about 10lbs of sample to play around with at home, so after work, I'll be testing out the new toy.

And yeah, it's great to have a fiance that enjoys the same things I do. I'd say I pretty much hit the lottery with her :thumbsupanim: