Nugget Shooter Forums

A Couple of Small Franconia Finds

Hey Gang, Finally got around to posting a couple of small Franconia finds from two weeks ago, got new fangled camera, feared hooking it to the computer, Lord knows what will happen. The finds are not much to speak of a 9 and 12 grammer North Side. It was a great day for hunting, but a bit hot - 2 qt water gone. I went to cross the railroad tracks on this Friday and they were again working on the tracks right at the cross over. So I hit the wash agian, but that loose gravel got me gripped and I bailed early, and did the cross washlet trip , you know, bang your head on the roof of the cab - several meteorite wrongs suspended in mid air of the cab - then hit the opposite side of the washlet hard enough to bust your oil pan, the whole time trying to keep the gas peddle down about half so you won't get stuck. That wash with the heat is more suited for a Mississippi paddle boat. I found a 27 grammer about a month ago on the South side, and me thinks that someone, who may have been seeing just a tad too much sun lately, might not think it's the real deal (IMHO), so I posted a few more pics just to dispel any concerns that this 27 grammer might be a rock. All smiles. :) Good Hunting! Clifton

post-21761-0-63086900-1307309867_thumb.j

post-21761-0-77632700-1307309901_thumb.j

post-21761-0-07763100-1307309938_thumb.j

post-21761-0-22530300-1307309966_thumb.j

Hey Gang, Finally got around to posting a couple of small Franconia finds from two weeks ago, got new fangled camera, feared hooking it to the computer, Lord knows what will happen. The finds are not much to speak of a 9 and 12 grammer North Side. It was a great day for hunting, but a bit hot - 2 qt water gone. I went to cross the railroad tracks on this Friday and they were again working on the tracks right at the cross over. So I hit the wash agian, but that loose gravel got me gripped and I bailed early, and did the cross washlet trip , you know, bang your head on the roof of the cab - several meteorite wrongs suspended in mid air of the cab - then hit the opposite side of the washlet hard enough to bust your oil pan, the whole time trying to keep the gas peddle down about half so you won't get stuck. That wash with the heat is more suited for a Mississippi paddle boat. I found a 27 grammer about a month ago on the South side, and me thinks that someone, who may have been seeing just a tad too much sun lately, might not think it's the real deal (IMHO), so I posted a few more pics just to dispel any concerns that this 27 grammer might be a rock. All smiles. :) Good Hunting! Clifton

Clifton

looking good :thumbsupanim

Richard AKA kgmrg

Aloha Richard,

Not to worry about that 27grammer. Its the real deal from what I see and nice find buddy.

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

Good hunting !! On the south side you say ??? But there aren't any meteorites left on the south side !!!!

Hey Clifton,

Nice finds. Your South side finds is 1 of 2 meteorites I know of being found in Franconia, on the South side, in the last year. The other one, a very large one (as in 7 pounds), looks to me like a common rock found in the area by the pictures taken of it. Your's is the real thing, never doubted it when you first posted it...if it's the same one you posted a few months ago.

Jim

Nice pictures...what is the camera?

Nice meteorites too...

When I went to Jims memorial at Franconia I found plenty of deep military stuff and Bones found a great Franconia all on the south side...if there is still junk; there are still space rocks...unfortunately they don't grow back once found...

fred

YEAH , YEAH , Heres a few hours yesterday in a PRIVATE claim just a wee ways from there.

Some of these pieces were at the 18-24 inch mark. Some sounded sort of sweet at first faint signal.

post-562-0-39218900-1307387716_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Yeah...?

nobody said it would be easy Frankie my friend...I just said where there is junk there is goodies...I will quickly admit the junk to meteorite ratio is very very sad...but, one large franconia like Bones found would erase all the pain...

good luck

fred

Thanks for the comments guys! Yea Jim I though you might have implied you had a South side find from a previous post, making mine the other, my mistake, just joshing with you anyway. It gave me a good excuse to do some close-up with my new camera. It has a 1 cm closest focal point, but you have to use a flash light for the light source. Say Frank I too had pocket full of lead hunting the South side, but like Fred's saying to pull out one like Jim Bone's got, it sure would be worth it. Say Fred I research the camera a bit, with the lowest price best features in mind, and came up with what's listed below. So far the camera has worked great no complaints, but I haven't used the video yet. Good Hunting! Clifton

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZSHNG8

Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD -- $192.99 only has the lower 720p HD video, not 1080i. Good 1 cm close ups. Has 4X digital zoom for total of 48X zoom, but probably shouldn’t use the digital zoom or shot will be pixilated.

Must have rechargeable batteries- store bought AAs will only work for a few shots, but can be used in a pinch. Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH Charger and 8 Rechargeable AA and 4 Rechargeable AAA Batteries- --$34.75

Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E – The Fastest Card $27.20

Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1 --$12.54

Camera case --- Tilt - Messed up bought the wrong one. You need one that will allows the front lense to fit.

Not so small and very cool!

BD