Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia 06/02-03/2011 Believe it or not

Well here I was spending quality time with Jim Wooddell hunting for meteorites. As Jim said in his previous post it was HOT! Jim did well, but I only found a very small iron, which did not register on my gram scale. I guess it's better than a skunk. Anyway, Jim and I called it a day with him heading home and I to Laughlin for some R & R. I was just pulling into the parking lot of my hotel when I received a call from Jim asking if I was still in the area,it seems Jim had lost his .3 g iron back where we had parked. I could tell that Jim was not happy and I hated to disappoint him, but I had no plans to return to Franconia until the weather cooled down. Ok, I'm sitting at the bar drinking a refreshing beverage(budlight), smoking my favorite cigar and playing video poker :cigar: . I began to feel guilty and thought to myself if I do well, I'll go back to search for Jim's iron. I did really well so the next morning I was back to Franconia. You know the old saying "one good deed(turn?) deserves another". I called Jim to tell him I would look for his iron, which he said would be packaged in a clear plastic baggie with a white number strip inside. As I drove up to our usual parking spot with my drivers door window down I heard a distinct sound of a rattler. Now, there was this big bush next to my jeep and I thought to myself perhaps the rattle snake was in there ,but I couldn't see it. I stopped the jeep and started to step out with the sound getting louder. I decided to call Jim just in case I got bit. Jim's response was move the jeep (dummy) :stupidrb: which I did. Low and behold I see this very fine 3 (?) foot long rattle snake with what looked like a diamond pattern racing toward the bush. I tried to take a picture with my PowerShot camera,but in my nervous state it slipped from my fingers and fell between the seats. With that said, on the ground where the snake had been was Jim's iron, packaged as described. Jim ,who was still on the phone could only hear my nervous( from fear) laughter. I hate snakes! :yikes: Jim was over heard saying did you get a picture? Obviously I didn't. If you have read this far it is only fair to apologize for this long drawn out story,which only stands on my word alone. I did find a second .9g iron for my troubles. To me it was a win-win situation. I won in Laughlin, Jim will get his lost iron, I didn't get bit and I got a small iron to boot. Could you do better? :shrug:

Richard AKA kgmrg

Good story. Except now I'm going to think twice every time I drive by a bush out in the wilds and wonder if a snake is sitting up in the branches. :unsure:

Good story. Except now I'm going to think twice every time I drive by a bush out in the wilds and wonder if a snake is sitting up in the branches. :unsure:

Some snakes, the Mojave Green for one, will climb into bushes and trees to snag birds or eggs.

Richard, Once again, thanks for finding that. What is really bad is knowing that snake is in the area we park!!! I think parking is going to be a little more cautious there from now on! Congrats on the other finds!

Jim

great story, sounds like the snake was under your jeep...I would expect snakes to be anywhere in Franconia, especially on the north side...it is very snakey looking ground...paying attention is your best defense...

nice irons too

fred