Nugget Shooter Forums

Holes

Hey all, I have sounded off on this topic before on these forums. This message is primarily intended for people detecting on the Swasey Critical Area of Concern in Redding, Ca. I am going to let the cat out of the bag as far as a place to go detecting and still have a decent chance of finding a real nice piece or two. Swasey is it, some very nice gold left if you stay with it. The only glitch is you may not have too much time left. We seem to have a few people that just dont get it as far as large leg breaking holes and eyesores. There are just a few of them but they continue to leave holes unfilled. I am not talking about small holes but large eyesores that can be seen by the bike riders, the horseriders, the walkers, landowners and the BLM. This information is for those very few, all these groups have banded together and are watching you and the holes you dig and dont refill. Complaints are going into BLM all the time and they are making a case against all gold prospectors that are detecting, and the way they are doing it is going to set a precedent that is going to go everywhere. It is going to have far reaching effects to all miners in all states. I know some will say that is what the mining law says you can do on a small surface area. Times have changed and if you think some of these agencies really give dang about your legal rights then you are dumber than I thought. The Swasey area is a public area that has a great many numbers of people that use it and most of these people would be happy to see mining go away. Again, to the chosen few, take some time and refill some of the holes from the last two years in this area. My name is RAY MILLS and I dont give a dang who you are or how long I have known you I will make it a point to have Blm on your ass just as soon as I see you in the area. Make sure your vehicles are legal as there will be more law enforcement watching them. There are other people that will do the same. Harrassment? Yes harrassment. Act like the big men you are and quit thinking about just yourselves and a piece of gold. And yes BLM is going to have a hard time trying to catch you in the act and prosecute you individually, however , remember that you are the ones continuing to fuel the case against all gold prospectors. This message is meant just for those chosen few, the elite, that found one nice piece of gold and have lost all sense in doing so. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Ray

It is always an ongoing battle to weed out the few who spoil it for the many. I am glad to see you taking this on full force. Detectorist are getting a bad name because of a few lazy self centered jerks!

Well i try to fill in most spots i dig at when i am done. However i can usually tell when the mineleab guys are around because of the 2 foot deep holes left here and there. It is a problem but i think most of this is from new guys just getting into it perhaps.

Once here in Sacramento the people in charge of a park wanted it closed to detectorist because they were leaving holes all over the place and destroying the grass. They keep blaming detectorist for this. Turns out it was people practicing golfing and there clubs were leaving big divets of grass all over the place. Dont know what happened after that though :rolleyes:

Ray,

My hat is off to you.

That is as plain as you can say it.

If someone is so self-involved they can't be bothered to fill in their dig holes

they should be turned in.

Their selfishness ruins it for everyone else

and they should be held accountable by us;

the everyone else.

It's that simple.

Flak

G'Day trinityau and Members

You go for it mate. Rip them a new a-hole. This totally pisses me off. I've wasted so many hours when I was getting out on a regular basis filling other people's holes, not just holes but scrapes.

I think if you're going to go in, you don't leave no trace. Not even scrapes. I've actually reprimanded a couple of rabbits :yuk-yuk:

I've lost valuable time covering up other's neglect and it's just not fair. It's not just out in the desert but due to the tight economy, I'm not venturing so far. But brings up another situation, I'm not far from Manhattan Beach and to get my jollies I venture down there early in the morning. One morning I arrived a little late, somebody had already got in there and worked their way from the Manhattan Pier heading to El Porto, 45th Street. I noticed a barrage of holes, but way off in the distance I could see a detectorist swinging away. So I doubled the pace up to try and catch him. But when I thought I was making ground, he disappeared up into the car park and drove off. I spent the rest of my time walking back to the pier filling his holes.

Maybe he thought the ocean would just come in and wash it all away. But Manhattan Beach is full of healthy enviro-nuts, they get up early in the morning and start running the beach. All we need is one of them to break and ankle in a hole and suddenly there's no metal detecting on Manhattan Beach.

Maybe we should put a test up for anybody buying a detector, just like guns. Ok, I'll end now because I could get on to this for a long time.

Cheers

Johnno

I came across a hole when I was digging once, and I thought, hmmm what idiot didnt cover their hole, Ill do it while im next to it, as I was going to start filling in the hole, I look down into it, and there is a desert tortiose in it staring at me.... Some of their holes, look just like a minelab hole, until you look into them and see how deep they are.

Dave

I find lots of holes out in the Arizona deserts.I always check the holes before I fill them in, if they're dumb enough to leave a hole then I can only presume they are dumb enough to leave GOLD in the hole. I've found several crumbs in these tailing piles. Dave

This has always been one of my pet peeves and I think many would be surprised by some of the folks that do this. Nope no names gonna be mentioned, but they know who they are.... :*&$*(:

:aw-shucks: Newbie fever as in rob,rape and pillage,quite the bummer but just as dredgers thought,they can't do that--but ooooooooooo they can ban,already sold off 2 parcels here to get rid a them newbie sand fleas---John :stupidrb:

Here in Southern California we recently began experiencing rather large SCRAPES [like up to 45' X 30' and 1 to 2 feet deep including established woody bushes] done during the darkness of night by highgraders who bring in mechanical earthmoving equipment and depart the area before the sun comes up. The sheriff has been informed. When caught there will be prosecutions.

Hey all, Well it is still raining as of monday morning, however I should be able to get out on tuesday. In reply to some of the many who have voiced their opinions on this topic.

These holes are not the results of turtles or tortoises or any other burrowing creature. These holes being left have been dug by two legged people carrying metal detectors, of which at times they also leave drink cans, soda bottles, wrappers and butts.

Someone else mentioned that maybe the greenies were trying to sabotage the area. As much as I would even like to believe that I just cant. These people have been seen by horseback riders and hikers. On their return trips they are seeing where the person was digging at originally, only to find a large gaping hole.

Someone else made a comment about gem, rock collectors in the area. Again same as above, these people appear, are seen, dig, leave and you are left with large holes visible from all over. The biggest problem that is causing concern with the BLM is that they can be seen. Almost all the trails are along the gullys and draws so when you go by either direction you are going to see them. Along the roads the same thing is happening.

Private property owners have seen this pattern of selflessness and are at the point of not letting anyone on their land. I have been told by many property owners that myself and others have treated their land fine, however they are afraid someone else will see others hunting and trespass to trash the area. So we have been told that we cannot hunt their land anymore. Because of this it is getting very harder to approach new opportunities.

It comes down to just a few people that do not care about anything, whether it be legal/illegal, moral/unmoral, right/wrong, they are out for what they are after. I almost wish gold spot would drop back to $300.00 as most of this is just the old greed factor.

TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

I guess it's up to us to police our playgrounds. The area I hunt is pretty remote ,but holes are there as well. I don't have a problem letting someone know I saw the holes they left. I've been told the wash will fill in the first time it rains mad.gif. Dave