Nugget Shooter Forums

what coil should I use???

I have found an area that was mined for placer gold in Alabama. It is a low hill, and evidently the method of mining was to dig trenches 12 feet wide and 30 feet long down the hill, and divert water into the trenches and sluice the topsoil down. The miners would add mercury into the trenches for amalgamation. The bulletin that I got my info out of says that once all of the topsoil on this hill was stripped the miners found that there were veins of gold material running through the subsoil. I went to this location last week with my Tesoro LST...the hill was so mineralized that I had to run the LST in Alkali mode instead of normal soils mode. I have a used gpx 4000 on the way and I am looking for good advice on what coil would be good for me to use on this area. Any advice, insights, insults, etc would be appreciated. The bulletin indicated that the miners took @ 50 to 60K out of this area in small workings from 1830 to 1836. So I think that there might be potential here.

thanks

Chris

It depends on how large the gold in the area is, and how deep the bedrock is, use the largest coil you can find for the minelab, on larger pieces of gold, and where the bedrock is deep. Then I would use the smallest coil for the bottom of the hill where they sluiced, to try to pick up anything small left over.

I would run a 14-20 inch mono (whatever size you can get your hands on) all over it first.

And then like Dave says a small coil for smaller "bits and nugettes". Like the 8" commander.

If you find a terrific amount of ground disturbance when trying to get a smooth threashold with the monos, then switch to "DD" coils for better stability if you need it.

Have fun an find a BIGGUN.

What coil to use is determined mainly by the ground and type of gold you will be detecting for as mentioned. Shallow moderately mineralized soil with small nuggets would make me want to use an 8 inch Commander Mono and the same soil depth, but with high mineralization I'd likely go with a 10x5 inch DD.

The 11 inch mono is also a very good all around coil and for starting out with your 4000 and might be a good choice while you are getting the feel for it. With a PI bigger coils do indeed mean more depth on larger targets, but there is a trade off in sensitivity to smaller gold when using them.

Normally I will use several different coils on a patch I have found or am re-working and for general all around prospecting I like the 11 inch mono....

What coil to use is determined mainly by the ground and type of gold you will be detecting for as mentioned. Shallow moderately mineralized soil with small nuggets would make me want to use an 8 inch Commander Mono and the same soil depth, but with high mineralization I'd likely go with a 10x5 inch DD.

The 11 inch mono is also a very good all around coil and for starting out with your 4000 and might be a good choice while you are getting the feel for it. With a PI bigger coils do indeed mean more depth on larger targets, but there is a trade off in sensitivity to smaller gold when using them.

Normally I will use several different coils on a patch I have found or am re-working and for general all around prospecting I like the 11 inch mono....

Thanks Guys...I really do appreciate the advice. My thinking is that I should try out the mono...maybe 11" because according to records this area was worked down to the subsoil @ 1836. I think that I would be more likely to be looking for the auriferous veins that were noted being in the subsoil zone than any large nuggets that were missed. It will be a trial and error situation, and hopefully I will learn from the effort. To me, that is the main thing...to learn lessons that I can take with me to more productive areas. I couldn't do it without y'all!!!

Chris