Nugget Shooter Forums

Odd bottle find

OK so I found this odd bottle, it has a round bottom so it will not stand upright. Looks hand blown with bubbles in the glass as well as cork type top. Never seen one quite like it, came from desert near Wickenburg.

2011-05-31_13-08-35_187.jpg

OK so I found this odd bottle, it has a round bottom so it will not stand upright. Looks hand blown with bubbles in the glass as well as cork type top. Never seen one quite like it, came from desert near Wickenburg.

2011-05-31_13-08-35_187.jpg

Looks like a Matus wine bottle. They had a Grass or Wicker type basket bottoms on them.

Looks like a Matus wine bottle. They had a Grass or Wicker type basket bottoms on them.

You nailed that one Homefire! There was one of those bottles on every table at my favorite New Mexican Restaraunt used for a candle holder. The wax was four inches thick on them. Had a wicker work bottom with a small loop handle. I suppose the bottle was worth more than the wine was.

Aloha,

I would have guessed the same BUT Mateus had a shorter neck and it did have a small flat bottom area. I carried many of them Mateus bottles on many a hiking trip back in Hawaii. I definitely did not know the words "roughing it" back in them days.

Nice looking bottle for sure tho.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Cool find, Bill ... I used to have two of those that were hand blown, but were about 8 gallons or so sized, each with it's own woven basket ... I bought them for $5 each at a garage sale and sold them years later for $150 each ... The buyer told me they were jugs that olives were stored in back in Italy or Greece or someplace like that and apparently were pretty old ... The lady that bought them owned an antique store and she thought she got quite a deal on them ... So we both were happy ... Amazing to find something that fragile looking ... WTG! ... Cheers, Unc

Patrick ... the answer is simple ... and since you asked ... when you are older than dirt everything looks young! :( :)

Ooops ... did I say that!? must have been the guy on my left shoulder making me say something like that! ? ! :) :)

Mike F

Patrick ... the answer is simple ... and since you asked ... when you are older than dirt everything looks young! :( :)

Ooops ... did I say that!? must have been the guy on my left shoulder making me say something like that! ? ! :) :)

Mike F

:yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk: :hahaha: :blink: :inocent:

When I was just a tyke we used to go to Juarez and watch the glass blowers. There were bleachers set up in front of the big ovens and six or eight glassblowers would be working as fast as they could. They would make bottles very similar to that, along with vases, bowls, and all sorts of glass stuff.

The top where you put the cork was blown right into the bottle and the would use a big pair of scissors to cut it off the blowpipe and put the "rim" on the neck. They would quickly stand the bottle up on a steel mandrel to size the inside for a cork. It would take the glassblower about a minute and a half to make one. I bet bottles have been made like that since man discovered how to blow glass. It would be very difficult to date something like that. I know some have a "laid on lip" and all, but I bet that design has been used for several centuries. One of those crude Mexican handblown bottles of the early 1960's would pass for a crude Italian handblown bottle of the 1860's. And those bottles would be darn near indistinguishable from the ones at the bottom of the sea from the ancient romans. I would think the spot that it was found would probably yield more information than the bottle itself if it had no markings or unique shape.

Not much at the find site that would tell much other than it is from the Vulture Mountains and likely left by one of many generations of the folks prospecting this area for many 100s of years. Thought it was broken when I saw the neck sticking up out of a pack-rat nest, but it was whole...

Not figuring it is worth much, but first one like it in my collection of bottles found while beeping... :rolleyes: