Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr-Meteorite

99 Anniversary Holbrook Hunt

Hi all,

July 19, 2011 will mark the 99th anniversary of the Holbrook fall.

In celebration of that monumental event I am considering leading a hunt to the Holbrook strewn field – of course this depends on how many are interested. I am considering one day on the weekend (not both) prior to the anniversary – either July 16th or 17th. I am aware that this close to July 4th weekend most people may be out of money but it's worth a try.

Any and all are invited regardless of experience! If you are new to meteorite hunting then this is your chance to meet at least one professional meteorite hunter (who's found hundreds of Holbrook meteorites)and learn. If you are experienced and would like to come too, I would welcome the help, as there will likely be more beginners than advanced hunters.

Typically when hunting the area I stay in the Motel 6 in Holbrook where rooms are usually very inexpensive ($40-$50 per night)

Please contact me and let me know if you are interested in joining me. It would be great to have a large turn out. After all, I get 100’s of requests a year from people all over the country wanting to learn about meteorite hunting.

Now is your chance!

Email and let me know if you are interested and which day works best: MrMeteorite@gmail.com

Hi all,

July 19, 2011 will mark the 99th anniversary of the Holbrook fall.

In celebration of that monumental event I am considering leading a hunt to the Holbrook strewn field – of course this depends on how many are interested. I am considering one day on the weekend (not both) prior to the anniversary – either July 16th or 17th. I am aware that this close to July 4th weekend most people may be out of money but it's worth a try.

Any and all are invited regardless of experience! If you are new to meteorite hunting then this is your chance to meet at least one professional meteorite hunter (who's found hundreds of Holbrook meteorites)and learn. If you are experienced and would like to come too, I would welcome the help, as there will likely be more beginners than advanced hunters.

Typically when hunting the area I stay in the Motel 6 in Holbrook where rooms are usually very inexpensive ($40-$50 per night)

Please contact me and let me know if you are interested in joining me. It would be great to have a large turn out. After all, I get 100's of requests a year from people all over the country wanting to learn about meteorite hunting.

Now is your chance!

Email and let me know if you are interested and which day works best: MrMeteorite@gmail.com

Wendy and I are sooo there! And...the first guy to find a 200gram + Holbrook, I'll buy them dinner!!:thumbsupanim

Ruben, this is a very kind offer.

Jim

Jim

Sounds like a fun thing. Are there still holbrooks found very often? Do you use a detector or just visually hunt the surface? Also, a great chance to meet some of you experienced hunters.

Ruben, Great idea.

Jim, If I found a 200+ holbrook I would think I should buy dinner.

Ed

Another thought or ? .

Has anyone ever tried to gain access to the private land around meteor crater for the purpose of hunting meteorites? If there is a way that would also be a fun hunt.

Ed

Another thought or ? .

Has anyone ever tried to gain access to the private land around meteor crater for the purpose of hunting meteorites? If there is a way that would also be a fun hunt.

Ed

I have never been skunked at Holbrook - At least not in Ten years! Just bring your eyes and a magnet.

Yo Ruben...Are the Holbrooks found with detectors, too? ... In your experience, are all Holbrooks found on the surface or down a little? ... In more than one strewnfield I've worked, a substantial percentage of finds are buried up to a foot or so ... Sounds like an interesting hunt and I may be able to work it into business travel up to Monument Valley ... Cheers, Unc

Here's some more stuff I learned that would indicate a metal detector would be a great asset to hunting the Holbrook:

Holbrook is a well-known meteorite, classified as an L6 ordinary chondrite. The Holbrook stone arrived on Earth in spectacular fashion on 19 July 1912. The fall was heralded by a loud blast followed by smaller explosions and a protracted rumble which lasted roughly 2 minutes, in the early evening (Foote, 1912; Merrill, 1912; Banks and Benny, 2001). Many stones fell in a large strewnfield (area from which meteorite fragments are recovered) along the Santa Fe railway line, extending for at least 6 miles (10 km) to the east of the town of Holbrook in Navajo county, Arizona. The heaviest concentration of fragments was recovered around the Aztec railway yard. After the meteorite "shower" had landed, rather more than 14,000 fragments were eventually recovered, varying in size from sand grains to masses weighing 6.6 kg (Mason and Wiik, 1961; Norton, 1994; Grady, 2000, pp.240-241), for an estimated total mass near 218 kg.

The illustrated samples, obtained from David New, are modest in scale, each roughly 1 cm in diameter (note mm scale in photograph). They are small (4.7 and 4.1 g) subangular to rounded stones. They contain small chondrules and metal/sulphide nodules, the latter sometimes projecting through the very thin (much less than 1 mm) fusion crust. In terms of meteorite recognition, note (1) the thin, shiny black and somewhat cracked fusion crust, (2) the pale interior, dominated by silicate minerals such as olivine and pyroxenes, and (3) the rusty spots, formed quite rapidly by terrestrial weathering due to the oxidation of specks of nickel-iron alloys and troilite (iron sulphide).

The large number of pieces and the volume and freshness of material have ensured that Holbrook has been analysed in many ways by many experts over the past 90 years. This is the case although it is a representative of the most common (L6 chondrite) meteorite class. Nine L6 stones have been recovered in Canada alone, including the largest Canadian fall (Bruderheim), Peace River, and the 1998 fall, Kitchener. Over 4,000 L6 meteorites are known (Grady, 2000, p.7). The mineralogy, chemistry, radiocarbon content (Jull et al., 2000) long-term history and recent weathering behaviour have all been examined in detail, making Holbrook a significant name in the study of meteorites.

References

Banks,LW and Benny,M (2001) The day it rained rocks: a rare meteor shower over Holbrook in 1912 hurled fragments up to six miles across the desert. Arizona Highways, 20 August.

Foote,WM (1912) Preliminary note on the shower of meteoric stones near Holbrook, Navajo county, Arizona, July 19th, 1912, including a reference to the Perseid swarm of meteors visible from July 11th to August 22nd. Amer.J.Sci. 34, ser. IV, 437-456.

Grady,MM (2000) Catalogue of Meteorites. Natural History Museum, London / Cambridge University Press, 5th edition, 690pp. plus CD-ROM.

Jull,AJT, Lal,D, Burr,GS, Bland,PA, Bevan,AWR and Beck,JW (2000) Radiocarbon beyond this world. Radiocarbon 42, 151-172.

Mason,B and Wiik,HB (1961) The Holbrook, Arizona, chondrite. Geochim.Cosmochim.Acta 21, 276-283.

Merrill,GP (1912) A recent meteorite fall near Holbrook, Navajo county, Arizona. Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections 60 no.9 / Publ. 2149, 4pp.

Norton,OR (1994) Rocks from Space: Meteorites and Meteorite Hunters. Mountain Press Publishing Co., 449pp.

Yo Ruben...Are the Holbrooks found with detectors, too? ... In your experience, are all Holbrooks found on the surface or down a little? ... In more than one strewnfield I've worked, a substantial percentage of finds are buried up to a foot or so ... Sounds like an interesting hunt and I may be able to work it into business travel up to Monument Valley ... Cheers, Unc

Hi Ron,

The ground in Holbrrok is so highly mineralized that it is impossible to even balance your detector there. That added with the fact that these are L chondrites (very low metal) makes it unlikely any would be found swinging. However, there are always BB to marble sized pieces and individuals to find. Come on out. There are already at least 10-15 confirmed attending. It'd be great to have you too!

Hi Ron,

The ground in Holbrrok is so highly mineralized that it is impossible to even balance your detector there. That added with the fact that these are L chondrites (very low metal) makes it unlikely any would be found swinging. However, there are always BB to marble sized pieces and individuals to find. Come on out. There are already at least 10-15 confirmed attending. It'd be great to have you too!

I hunted there with Bill Southern and John Blennart years ago. I'll bet they could tell you how hard it would be to swing there.

I hunted there with Bill Southern and John Blennart years ago. I'll bet they could tell you how hard it would be to swing there.

Hello, I would very much like to join you in Holbrook. Troy Ball

Hello, I would very much like to join you in Holbrook. Troy Ball

Great! Send me an email saying you want to join us so I can add you to the email loop. MrMeteorite@gmail.com

Great! Send me an email saying you want to join us so I can add you to the email loop. MrMeteorite@gmail.com

I am just now getting everything together. Making a list of all going, motel, etc... This will be a fun outing so if anyone else is even remotely interested now is the time to email me so I can put you in the email loop! Don't be afraid to come even if you don't know anyone or anything about meteorite hunting. There will be lots of people with experience that are willing to help you.

Email me now MrMeteorite@gmail.com

My PI did OK there, but a VLF will likely be more trouble than it was worth as Ruben said... I was also skunked that trip using a detector. I think Ruben got some as did his son if I remember correctly.

[Hi all,

There are a lot of people planning on coming and I have started a

MASTER email list. If you have not been receiving emails from me -but

asked to be in on the email loop - please contact me and let me know.

Important!

It has come to my attention that I made an error regarding Motels.

To be clear, We are staying at the Motel 6 in Holbrook - There is only one.

Here is the correct address and phone number.

Motel 6 Holbrook

2514 Navajo Boulevard

Holbrook, AZ 86025

(928) 524-6101

Please, If you made reservations in Winslow (or anywhere else) cancel

them and redo in Holbrook!

Ruben

Thanks for the invite, I'll be there.

Richard AKA kgmrg

Hi all,

It seems that some are not clear on the Holbrook meteorite hunt date/ schedule.

I have received more and more questions regarding the date of our

hunt. (Mainly because so many are joining late – which is fine, I just

have to make sure that we are all on the same page)

Here goes:

The “TRUE” 99th anniversary of the Holbrook meteorite fall is July, 19, 2011.

However, July 19th falls on a Tuesday this year - therefore I decided

that wouldn’t be a good day to host our group hunt.

Our meteorite hunt (which is in recognition of the 99th anniversary)

will take place on Saturday - July 16, 2011.

I (and most of us) will arrive on Friday afternoon, July 15, 2011.

This will allow me to check in and meet as many of you as possible. I

would like to have dinner that evening at the Denny’s next door –

everyone is invited and encouraged to join us.

There are some very good meteorite hunters joining us. So, if I can’t

sit at your table, don’t worry - there will be some of the worlds best

hunters there that can (over dinner) school you on the finer points of

Hunting Holbrook.

The Hunt will begin on Saturday morning July 16, 2011. IF YOU ARRIVE

LATE YOU MAY MISS OUT! Don’t plan on arriving after about 8 am on

July 16, unless you know how to get to the strewn field alone.

I will ONLY hunt on Saturday – However, others are planning on hunting

Sunday also. So, if you want to stay that’s fine.

Most of us are staying at the Holbrook Motel 6 – But a few are staying

at other motels in Holbrook – that’s fine.

Here is the address and phone number.

Motel 6 Holbrook - 2514 Navajo Boulevard - Holbrook, AZ 86025

(928) 524-6101

Please, if you made reservations in Winslow (or anywhere else outside

of Holbrook) cancel them and redo in Holbrook!

If everyone

comes alone (and I'm sure that won't happen) this will be a large

group. If everyone brings only one other person this hunt will be

huge.

Ruben, I replied on CSR, but not one to take chances. I want to come on this trip to Holbrook. We enjoyed the Franconia gtg and learned so much I can't miss this one.

I live in the Show Low area, so no need for motel. I will plan on meeting up at Denny's Fri PM, about what time? Then I'll get up really early to get back to Holbrook by 8AM Sat.

BTW, if anyone needs a place to park an RV or Camper, we have acreage and lots of water from our well, but limited facilities. You'd be welcome to stay here if you want. Sorry, no campfires due to extreme fire danger and strict fire restrictions in effect around here.

Ruben, I replied on CSR, but not one to take chances. I want to come on this trip to Holbrook. We enjoyed the Franconia gtg and learned so much I can't miss this one.

I live in the Show Low area, so no need for motel. I will plan on meeting up at Denny's Fri PM, about what time? Then I'll get up really early to get back to Holbrook by 8AM Sat.

BTW, if anyone needs a place to park an RV or Camper, we have acreage and lots of water from our well, but limited facilities. You'd be welcome to stay here if you want. Sorry, no campfires due to extreme fire danger and strict fire restrictions in effect around here.

You are very welcome to join us! Most of the info is on this forum but email me direct so I can add you to the holbrook private email list!

mrmeteorite@gmail.com

Hi all!

I am sitting in my Motel 6 room in Holbrook as I write this. Just got back from a nice dinner at the Denny's next door!

FYI, this place has BBQ's in the center pool area....I feel a party coming on during our hunt next month!

Today, Wendy, Hershey and I arrived here about 4:30pm. Checked into the room and then headed for the hunt area. The road is good enough for a Ford Focus all the way.

So we hunted around a bit, called Ruben and let him know we are here, and then left the area with my first ever Holbrook find.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

JohnB was right about those rabbit turds! Anyways, it's small, about half the size of a rabbit turd.

So, in less than 3 hours a find! Not too bad.

Tomorrow, we are going to hunt some more. Ruben may fly out here and join us...that would sure be a pleasure.

I'd post a picture, but forgot the darn cable for the camera. sad26.gif I'll post in a few days when I get back home.

There is a bunch of railroad rock and with the smaller pieces, you really need some kind of magnification to look at them. Wendy's 10x loupe did the trick and my 30x loupe is more than good enough.winking0001[1].gif

Jim

Hi all,

As of today 6/25/11 we are only 20 days away from our group hunt at Holbrook.

I have a few announcements to make:

1. Thanks to everyone who’s emailed me to confirm that you’ve made room reservations in Holbrook. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted some of my emails. So, could I ask that everyone please send me a quick reply saying that you have made reservations or plan to come – I know several are planning on joining us but not staying at that motel, that’s fine. Just respond to me and not the entire group. I need to try to get an accurate count so I can somehow figure the best way to caravan to the strewn field.

2. Michael Mulgrew emailed me asking that that I forward this message to the group.

“Is anyone going to be using a Garmin rino in the field? If so, to please email Michael. If you're not familiar, it's a combo radio/gps and can display other rinos within a 2 mile radius on the gps - a fun little feature when used in a group. He'd like to compile a list of rino user IDs so we can all know who's who in the field.”

Note: I don’t use one and if you don’t, it’s fine.

3. Jim Wooddell hunted Holbrook for a few hours a week or so ago. He was successful on his first time out and found two nice looking specimens. While staying at the Motel 6 he noticed that they have a BBQ area. It might be fun to hang out in that area on Friday evening, July 15th to chat and get to know each other.

4. I already mentioned that several very experienced meteorite hunters will join us. Bob Verish, Moni Waiblinger, and Ben and Eric Fisler.

Today I want to announce another future “Hall of Fame” Meteorite hunter that just confirmed. His name is Nicholas Gessler, Ph.D and will be flying in from North Carolina to join us! Nick is someone a lot of us have looked up to and learned from for many years. He and his son Paul have made some extraordinary meteorite finds. Get this, Pauls birthday is ON THE HOLBROOK ANNEVERSARY – July 19.

I’m still hoping that Rob Matson and Michael Cottingham will also confirm…..

5. Just for fun we – really Jim and Wendy Wooddell – had trophies made! The inscription reads: “Holbrook Hunt 99th Anniversary July 2011”

We will give one out in each of the following categories.

a. Largest Find

b. Most weight found

c. Best Oriented – regardless of size

If anyone wants to suggest other categories (instead of these ) feel free to do so.

Good luck and best wishes to all the Big and Little names...leave no stone unturned and unfound!

fred

Thanks Fred!

I may have bit off more than I could chew. There are 40-50 confirmed... Lucky for me there are some great hunters helping out. Ben and Eric, Bob Verish, Moni and Nick Gessler!

Hey all,

I'll be there with my dad (K.G.) and my uncle Rich. I look forward to seeing everyone! I got married just over a month ago, so I've been quite busy. Haven't been able to be on much. I hope you've all been having good luck out in the field (where every man SHOULD be!).

Clear skies and happy hunting

Mark Bowling

Vail, AZ

:thumbsupanim I am there! I sent a email to your gmail address but the missus and I will be ther Friday to meet you at dinner. Sound like a great time will be have by all! Thank you for getting this together, my hat is off to you!

See you, Friday, Robert Mayo :thumbsupanim

Aloha fellow meteorite hunters,

Man it is so good to be back in Hawaii for a couple of days away from the HEAT in Vegas. Flew via Hawaiian Airlines and got me a free upgrade, I guess it pays to be the driver who picks up the crews in Vegas when they land at the airport. We had a great time swapping stories about the good old days in Hawaii. Seems that we all knew someone but that was expected as the Islands are small.

I will be checking on a couple of my old geocaches here on tOahu and attending a family luau on saturday. I will be thinking of you guys and gals out there in Holbrook looking for meteorites.:hmmmmm: Well maybe not! Having way too much fun and eating way too much local foods I may end up gaining about 5-10 pounds this trip.:whaaaa: :whaaaa:

Enjoy the dry heat!:hahaha: :hahaha: Man I forgot how humid it can get here in the islands.

Aloha and stay safe everyone,

Stan aka Ka'imi