Nugget Shooter Forums

Any tips for a beginning nugget hunter

Hey folks, just got my hands on a used xterra 70 and a 10x6 18khz coil. I know that its not the top of the line detector but I also use it for park and beach detecting. This will be my first time going out to look for nuggets and was wondering if any one has any tips they can give me. I already read the "ZIP ZIP book" twice and think I can set it up right, but could use any help and all the help you can give me. Thanks in advance and happy hunting.

Mario

Hey folks, just got my hands on a used xterra 70 and a 10x6 18khz coil. I know that its not the top of the line detector but I also use it for park and beach detecting. This will be my first time going out to look for nuggets and was wondering if any one has any tips they can give me. I already read the "ZIP ZIP book" twice and think I can set it up right, but could use any help and all the help you can give me. Thanks in advance and happy hunting.

Mario

Ya the guy that wrote that book learned a few tricks from my group of goldmasters years ago.

First thing i would do is get a plastic cup from 99 cent store. Use it for target recovery. I know people swear by the spoons but i am telling you a cup is better. Always ground balance because the ground changes all the time in hydraulics. Go slow and low to the ground. If your finding small shotgun pellets your doing it right, just stick with it. bring a magnet also because it helps in trashy areas. cant tell you how much gold i have found by just removing the iron and exposing good targets.

Its harder these days to find gold for guys doing it for a while so dont get frustrated not finding any pieces. it takes time and patience. Go to known gold producing areas because you usually meet other guys out there and they can be helpful sometimes. never used your detector before but its probably ok.

Good luck out there!!!!

Jerry

If you are going for GOLD, join a club in your area. They will point you in the right direction onto land that you can legally detect. ( without getting onto someone's claim.) You're joining a hobby that can keep you busy for a lifetime!! Good luck , Dave

I agree with Highbanker58. Find a club to join and you've won at least one battle in the war. However, my piece of advice would be to do as much research on the clubs before you just sign up. I learned the hard way that not all clubs are worth the money when it comes to the claims gold output. Granted, meeting new and friendly people is always exciting and is a reward in itself, but there's not too many of us out there who said to themselves, "Hey, I am going to get into gold prospecting just so I can make some new friends, and maybe I'll get lucky and find some gold, too"! The people of this forum are very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful so learning and making friends here shouldn't be too hard.

Happy Hunting and Good Luck

The x70 is a good multi-purpose detector....read the directions, make sure you are in the prospecting mode ( not the all-metal mode), keep the irom mask low or off until you get to know the detector, keep the sensitivity down and slowly raise it until the thing becomes unstable...

go slow-no much slower, a little slower...now you have the speed,

keep the coil barely touching the ground...gb in tracking and if possible run in fixed...if not then realize the x will try to gb out any target....

that will get you started

fred

The x70 is a good multi-purpose detector....read the directions, make sure you are in the prospecting mode ( not the all-metal mode), keep the irom mask low or off until you get to know the detector, keep the sensitivity down and slowly raise it until the thing becomes unstable...

go slow-no much slower, a little slower...now you have the speed,

keep the coil barely touching the ground...gb in tracking and if possible run in fixed...if not then realize the x will try to gb out any target....

that will get you started

fred

What Fred said, but a little slower! :thumbsupanim

ALL good advise. Flakmagnet has the key when your'e home though, read read read you'll find much info on your model detector AND detecting IN GENERAL.

Theres Nothing like users in the field sharing their experiences. That will be your 2nd best info. 1st best will be YOUR learning experiences to remember.

WOW, lots of info here. I am a member of the GPAA so I have a few places to go to. I am also looking into some of the clubs in AZ since most of the nice nugs are out there. I'll take all the advice and start getting out there and practicing. Thanks everyone

Mario

I agree, read everything you can get your hands on. Join clubs and talk to people. Get out and practice, you dont have to go to gold fields to practice, just get out when you can and swing that detector. When you find a target try different settings before you dig and see what changes, you will learn alot by doing that.

Just a little more info...for a few hundred bucks you can have the written knowledge of Jim Straight and Chris Ralph; the video experience of Chris Gholson, Jonathan Porter, Bob Dansie and Rob Allison...I realize some of the videos are targeted to Minelab Pi's but you can still learn a bunch...these guys have walked the walk!

fred

Thanks Fred, Ill have to check them out. I did go out today but all I found were bullet fragments and bullet casing. But It was still good to get out. Did do much detecting since I was drywashing most of the time. I was also by myself so it was a little bit scary being out in the wild and no one to help or call for help if something were to happen. Well thanks again folk and ill have to read some more on thin forum.

If you found bullet fragments, you're on the right track and now all you have to do is have your coil go over a piece of gold. But it can take time as it took some of us a year or so before the first piece was found with a detector. Also, in some areas, it's not unusual to dig up 100-200 pieces of trash for each nugget.

Steve

MarioCh- This hobby is about finding Gold, but also a lot more, I have found a piece of an airplane, clavos, brass spiral nails ,a 1" religious statue,and boot tacks of every size. You never know what the old miners left behind for us. Eventually when you get all their junk out of the way,a GOLD nugget will be your reward. And remember Gold is heavy, detect on surfaces that will stop it from going deeper. twocents[1].gifHave fun !! Dave

Howdy Mario,

Just a couple of small tips for ya.Always take a container with you to put your bits of trash into. In your case, being new to the world of nuggetshooting and all.

Take along a quart size zip-loc bag. Save all those bits of trash that you find every time you go out. Empty the junk into a container and save all of it until you find your first piece of gold.

Now that may sound a bit silly but believe me when I say that it will help you endure the monotony mentally.When you find that first nugget and someone asks you "How long did it take you to find your first nugget"? You can point to that 5 gallon bucket and say " That's how darn long it took me :rolleyes: OR you might point to that first bunch of trash you hauled home :thumbsupanim

Second tip. Attach a strong magnet to your pick and run it around in that pile of dirt you just got a signal from. You will be amazed how many times it will save you from dropping down to recover worthless targets. Here's wishing you the very best in the wonderful and exciting world of "Nuggetshooting".

Wishbone

Goldfinger, I understand about digging 100-200 trash targets since I also detect parks. The best feeling is when you dig up a target and its gold or silver. I get all excited and it makes me want to go get some more. It also makes it worth digging up the targets cause you never know whats in the hole.

highbanker58: This hobby is in my opinion one of the most exciting hobbies there is. Filled with lost of surprises, just the other day all my hard work paid off when I found an 18k ring at a park. I also found lots of old and interesting things. You really don't know what you'll find until you dig it out.

Wishbone NM: I like your tip on collecting all the trash and showing people what I had to dig up to find all the goodies. I do take all the trash I dig up, sometimes there are interesting stuff in the trash. Although most of it is still trash.

Well thanks again everyone. All your tips will help me get my first nugget and hopefully more will come after that.

Mario