Nugget Shooter Forums

Galway Dry Lake Report,

Last weekend I went out for an overnight stay at Galway dry lake 34°32'13.47"N 116°29'19.71"W. From the paved road it’s a rough 20-mile drive on fair dirt roads, lots of whoops and some sand but I drove it in about an hour and twenty min in my two wheel drive sport track truck. Galway sits in upper Johnson Valley from east to west with the eastern edge bordering twentynine palms training center. There are a few good camping areas the best being on the west end. The lake is mostly clear hard pack mud with some areas strewn densely with rocks. I toured the lake on my ATV at slow speed with my cane checking rocks along the way. Seemed like some good hunting area but maybe not so much for detectors in some areas as others. There is a lot of iron fragments littered all over the lake so if you plan on driving on the lake keep a sharp eye out cuz there are some fragment sticking up out of the lake bed like a knife. I searched most of the day there but the wind and dust storms drove me off the lake. But I did get some good hunting time in but found only one that stuck must likely meteor wrong, other then that just found junk. It is a beautiful place and good hunting so I will return.

Bryan

post-23548-0-87965400-1306252546_thumb.j

post-23548-0-87827200-1306252592_thumb.j

post-23548-0-58229600-1306252647_thumb.j

post-23548-0-72308300-1306252702_thumb.j

post-23548-0-70170600-1306252736_thumb.j

Galway Dry Lake Report,

Snip

But I did get some good hunting time in but found only one that stuck must likely meteor wrong, other then that just found junk. It is a beautiful place and good hunting so I will return.

Bryan

Bryan.

Post a picture of that meteorwrong!!! Would like to see it!

Jim

Jim

After looking at it it had quartz in it so I think hematite if you still want to see it I will dig it out of the wrong box. Also anyone ever see a bullet that big it like twice the size of the ones I found at franconia.

Bryan

Jim

After looking at it it had quartz in it so I think hematite if you still want to see it I will dig it out of the wrong box. Also anyone ever see a bullet that big it like twice the size of the ones I found at franconia.

Bryan

Hi Bryan!

Hematite in it's pure form is not magnetic. Do a steak test on it for grins! Yes, I'd still like to see it. Measure the diameter of the bullet at it's base. That will give you the caliper more than likely. Nice bullet for a collection!! I do not have one of those as a find....yet!

bull.jpg

Jim

Thanks for the report. When the wind blows, dry lakes are a tough place to be. Sounds like you're putting in your time and thinking a bit outside the box. You'll score out there next time.

mick

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the report. That bullet, compared to the quarter, looks to be about a 20mm or so, A common round for aircraft and some helicopter cannon.

Love to see a pic of the meteorwrong, just for educational purposes. If it has quartz, it's certainly not a meteorite.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Ed. I am just finishing up a 7-year military career, and have a decent amount of experience when it comes to anti-aircraft as well as actual aircraft rounds, and it is most likely a 20mm from the looks. We spent a fair amount of time arresting nomads who were digging up aircraft rounds such as those from an old ammo supply point in Western Iraq, although they were only digging them out to get at the larger rounds buried underneath them to harvest the powder/explosives from the rounds/canisters.