Nugget Shooter Forums

Congrats Del

I was just looking at the Met Bull and I see Del (aka Paseclipse) has 4 new finds that became official on May 22nd. A Bluewing, 2 Cuddebacks and a Red Dry Lake. Very nice!!!

congrats

mick

I was just looking at the Met Bull and I see Del (aka Paseclipse) has 4 new finds that became official on May 22nd. A Bluewing, 2 Cuddebacks and a Red Dry Lake. Very nice!!!

congrats

mick

Hey Del!

Super job! May I ask how many hours you put in finding them? Would love to see a story on the process of getting them classified.

Congrats!

Jim

Congrats Del,

Like Jim (Desertsunburn) said, could you tell us the process to get them classified. I heard you need to get someone that is IMCA or equivelant to ID the meteorite first before submittal, due to so many people sending rocks in.

Thanks,

Dave

Woo hoo Del ! Nice check off to the Bucket List.:thumbsupanim

Congrats Del,

Like Jim (Desertsunburn) said, could you tell us the process to get them classified. I heard you need to get someone that is IMCA or equivelant to ID the meteorite first before submittal, due to so many people sending rocks in.

Thanks,

Dave

Nice job Del! It would be interesting to know who you have to corner to get a classification done.

aloha,

Stan aka kaimi

Hey Stan,

Count Deiro when we were at his place said if we come across any new finds he can submit them plus the fee to do so. It would be interesting just to hear the process it takes.

Dave

Hi Guys, hey thanks for the congrats everyone, it's nice to finally get in the books. It's one of those "why didn't I do this earlier!" things. Special thanks to Johnno for posting this in the Met-List, I haven't posted over there in years because for some reason their firewall doesn't accept my email address so I gave up posting over there a while back.

Here's pics of Bluewing 037 and CdDL 028-

Bluewing 037-

37_gram_meteorite.jpg

CdDL 028-

195gramin-situ.jpg

I wish I could say these meteorites are all cold finds but they're not since they were all found in places where other meteorites had been found before. They're the culmination of countless hours and days spent in the field looking for meteorites. Some were hard won while others were just "dumb luck". Heck when I found CdDL 029 I literally parked next to it got out and walked five feet and there it was. Bluewing 037 was about the same thing only that time I walked about 1/8 of a mile and spotted it from about thirty yards away. I seem to remember RdDL was an all day hunt that I found at the end of the day just before the sun went down. Immdediately afterwards I ran into a woman and her ten year old son who were giving meteorite hunting a try and I gave them some meteorites and taught them what to look for. Then CdDL 028 I found while having a good time hunting with my friends Mike and Paul. There's a good story that goes with each and every find and honestly I could probably write a book on the events that lead up to a good find but isn't that how it is most of the time when you score something good? At least this is what keeps me coming back to this hobby!

Since I'm motivated to hunt for meteorites for the thrill of the hunt and not the monetary value of meteorites, I decided to finally send in some of my meteorite finds to contribute my portion to the science of all this. Bill you are absolutely correct, it's a neat feeling knowing what they are! I decided to get these meteorites classified because I felt they could have been something different from the previous classifications that were listed in the Met Bull for those areas. Like Gold Basin and Franconia, dry lake bed hunting can turn up numerous classifications from multiple falls over time and if you genuinly feel you have something totally new from everything else found in known areas, or you have a cold find, this is when it might be a good idea to get something classified.

The classification process isn't that difficult, it just requires paperwork and a little bit of your time. I contacted Dr. Alan Rubin after Robert Woolard made a post on the Met-List about a successfull hunt I had in February at the Correo Strewn-field. Dr. Rubin posted about his hunting experience there after Robert made the post and I figured it was a good time to contact him since he had just recently heard my name.

I'd go into the whole process of getting my stones classified but I honestly don't have the time to write all this out right now. If anyone has a question about it just PM me and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

I want to give a big thanks to Bill because of the Nuggetshooter forum! This forum is where I got my start (because of RogerD) and this is where I learned a lot from. Then I certainly have to mention my fellow California meteorite hunter Greg Stanley who cut my meteorites and explained to me in detail the process of getting a meteorite classified. Then of course big thanks to Alan Rubin of UCLA for classifiying them and then Laurence Garvey for posting them to the Met Bull.

Del

Hi Del and thanks for the story!

Classification - For the last two years, I have consistently received conflicting reports about classifications of meteorites.

According to Anne Black, IMCA President, ALL meteorites should be classified.

According to what I've learned, the people that classify are not interested in classifying meteorites in know strewnfields.

However, your classifications proved the above wrong. I simply do not get it.

Another case in point, where the 7 pound rock was found on the South Side of Franconia a while back, this stone has an open invitation to be classified as per conversation with the finder. If it is a meteorite (and it sure does not look like one in the pictures I've seen but Larry Atkins held it and says it is), it's in a know strewn field.

I would very much like to talk to you about the process a some point in time.

Once again AWESOME and congratulations on getting them into the books!

Jim

Ben, Matt, and Clifton, thanks for the congrats guys!

DesertSunBurn- Yeah you hear a lot of conflicting reports about getting meteorites classified. As far as Ann Black saying ALL meteorites should be classified I question that because there's really no point in getting something classified that will yield the same scientific results every time. I mean it would be pointless to classify all the stones out at the Holbrook strewn-field since we already know what every stone out there would most likely be.

Dry Lake bed hunting is a whole different ball game because there's always a chance of something different since TKW's are typically low. Even the smallest meteorite can be something totally different from all the rest that have been classified in whatever area your hunting. A good example of this is SuV 014 (Acapulcoite) which has a TKW of only 1.77 grams. It was found in an area where several ordinary chondrites had already been found. The TKW's in areas like these are certainly not like Franconia or Gold Basin where truck loads of meteorites have been found before and there's multiple overlapping strewn-fields (with meteorites that have already been classified). I honestly don't have all the answers but this is my best guess.

Perhaps somebody like JohnB will read this post and comment about getting meteorites classified? The man has been around the block a few times with meteorites and has probably forgotten more than I've learned about them.

Take care

Del

Del,

Thanks for the response, no need for further.

Jim