Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi all!

I just got my new GMT in the mail yesterday.

Here is my son with it.

Boy is it confusing to use and has no depth indicator. And for its price, I thought it would have more features and be more user-friendly. Oh and this is serious, I tried sticking a Gold Basin meteorite I bought off of Ebay from a reputable source under the search coil and it did not sound off, nothing! Can anyone please tell me some more about this machine, I can't return it anymore and I'm a bit disappointed.........

What are the most basic setting/s to this machine and is there a learning curve, maybe more patience? I had a Garrett ACE 250 metal detector a mere quarter of the GMT's price that indicated depth and detected metal in some rocks. Am I missing something here?

Thank you. Appreciate any reply.

post-22352-0-46246100-1306115093_thumb.j

The GMT is a great machine! I've used it to find both franconia and gold basin meteorites. But if you are using the auto ground balance it will not sound off on your meteorite after the first swing. You will need to manually ground ballance it.

Hi all!

Here is my son with it.

Boy is it confusing to use and has no depth indicator. And for its price, I thought it would have more features and be more user-friendly. Oh and this is serious, I tried sticking a Gold Basin meteorite I bought off of Ebay from a reputable source under the search coil and it did not sound off, nothing! Can anyone please tell me some more about this machine, I can't return it anymore and I'm a bit disappointed.........

What are the most basic setting/s to this machine and is there a learning curve, maybe more patience? I had a Garrett ACE 250 metal detector a mere quarter of the GMT's price that indicated depth and detected metal in some rocks. Am I missing something here?

Don't Worry!!! You purchased a top of the line VLF gold finding and meteorite finding Monster! You must learn to "Ground Balance" your new detector manually - overide the Automatic ground balancing, which is programmed to ignore "Hot Rocks" or in this case, meteorites! Did it come with an Instruction manual? Is it Brand New? Who did you buy it from?

I agree, the GMT is a fine machine. But you will need to do YOUR part in order for you and it to become a "team".

1st: Read the manual.

2nd: Watch the video.

3rd: Read the manual.

4th: If you can find it, get a book written by Larry Sallee. It's called "Zip Zip". You can sometimes find it on E Bay. It's an old book, but still one of the best for VLF detectors.

A little patience on your part, and you will soon learn to love your GMT.

Best of luck to you and your Son, and come visit us at Franconia !

Patrick.....

IPTFT, the GMT is an excellent machine and will find both gold and meteorites as mentioned. It is not a coin machine, but a dependable prospecting metal detector. In order to understand the machine, you are going to have to put in some time behind it. The sound is what you will be learning and the 'depth' gauge will be associated with that sound. A louder, sweet, zip, zip will usually, and that is a key word, usually mean a close to the surface piece of gold, meteorite, or lead. Yes, lead will sound the same. A fainter zip, zip will usually mean a deeper sounding target. It does take time and working with the detector in the field is the best practice. Remember, dig every target, the one that you past by will be the one target that's worth it. Happy hunting, and if you decide to get rid of it, let me know before you do...Jason ;)

If you are getting to the gold basin area, let me know when, and i could possibly meet you there, and I can bring my GMT and show you how to use it.

Dave

Jim, Terry and Patrick,

Thanks for the replies but it is frustrating to understand automatic or manual ground balance and gain and positive or negative mineralization, etc.

The machine is brand new and has not been previously set to anything yet and I hope I didn't inadvertently set it to anything that can't be easily undone. I keep hearing on the instructional video that the GMT memorizes settings.'

What makes things even more difficult is that the video is geared for gold detecting and not for meteorites.

So the basic question I'd like to kindly pose is how do you men adjust your GMT's for Franconia and Gold Basin to find a chondrite or iron meteorite in what is sure to be full of hematite and magnetite. I understand black sand and basalt are major irritations as they are sources of magnetite in Franconia or Basin.

Surely you tweak the knobs to do something to erase the unwanted minerals, but those unwanted minerals are iron-bearing or ferritic in composition just as a chondrite or iron is, hence my confusion. When you erase the signal or reduce it do you not run the risk of reducing the signal from a meteorite?

When I had my ACE 250, it would go berserk over some sections of ground and the bars on the screen would alternate very quickly from none to full bar very quickly. I hope the GMT doesn't do that!

Kindly, what is very first step to do when you go out in the field?

Thank you once again.

The best thing for you to do is to make arrangements to meet someone who uses the GMT In the field somewhere to learn how to quickly set up the machine. I say this because you sound discouraged and haven't even learned the machine yet. You sound very confused and needn't be. The GMT is a simple detector to master and is one if not the best VLF to hunt with because of its capabilities for auto or manual tuning and its ability to detect gold or meteorites. Don't panic you have purchased a great detector.

And please don't compare the GMT to the Ace coin shooter they are totally and completely 2 different animals entirely, you will come to love the GMT as soon as you start to gain a handle on it. And that can be accomplished in an afternoon with some good instruction.

MY 1ST suggestion is to ignore the readout screen UNTILL you begin to understand the basic detector.

WHY NOT post a good pic of that meteorite you bought off of e-bay also so we can get a LOOK at it.

post-562-0-91633600-1306151107_thumb.jpg

These guys are all spot on! I love my GMT.If you are having problems manually ground balancing, try using the GRAB button. While running in manual GB(and in a spot with no targets) sweep the coil a few times, the unit will read the ground... then you hit the GRAB button. Voila... your ground balanced! I usually hit the + button once or twice as well. Just so you have a slight sound as you lower the coil. Practice... read, practice...read, etc....

Or like Frank said, find a GMT user and have them show you. :twocents:

Hi,

Thanks men for the education and wisdom expressed so far for the GMT, I'll take your advice in that it needs a lot more consideration.

Frank, as for the meteorite I bought off Ebay, I purchased it from meteorites4sale (Guy Fichtelman), it's a Gold Basin 41.1 grams in weight, here are 4 views of it.

Now how do you get it to sound or register on the GMT though?

post-22352-0-09809600-1306157369_thumb.j

post-22352-0-24617400-1306157388_thumb.j

post-22352-0-23202800-1306157399_thumb.j

post-22352-0-32620000-1306157416_thumb.j

I love your son's t-shirt!!!

You don't say where you where giving the GMT ago...you need to be outside, on dirt free of targets and away from power lines and transformers...the very best advice you got was to meet someone in the field...learning your first detector can be a whelming experience...

When i got my first Garret deepseeker (1980); I had my father on my right and my buddy on my left...both asking what did you find, what is that noise...blah, blah, blah...I finally turned the machine off until I could be alone with my new toy...things got easier after that.........................

fred

Aloha Buddy,

Just getting some info put together for your trip and should have it ready in a week.

Did you say a 41 gram Gold Basin? Holy Cucamanga!! That thing should have screamed. I only use a 2 gram or less piece as a throw down just so I can "train my ears". I will put together a list of what you need to do and email it direct to you. If you follow it I am confident you will be able to cut the learning curve drastically. Whatever you do, dont give up on that GMT as there are a lot of people who swear by it NOT at it.

Aloha and keep on swing.

Stan aka Kaimi

Boy I wish I would have had a camera rolling on Jim Smaller when he showed Greg Stanley how to tune his GMT at a Gold Basin outing one year. Jim took about 15 seconds to get his detector dialed in and to this day I still tune my GMT the way Jim showed Greg. Works everytime!

The GMT is a great detector, you just need to learn it. I know mine works great with these settings on Franconia H's and L's, Gold Basin's, and small gold nuggets a few inches deep-

Gain- 6

VSAT- 7

Ground Balance- Manual (you'll adjust this throughout the day)

Audio Signal Boost- Off

Threshold- Barely Audible (turn the knob until you hear a slight continuous hum)

These settings work great for mine but I've seen minor differences with the sensitivity between GMT's before so it might be a little different on your's. There's a couple guys that have posted in this thread (cough cough... Frank and Stan!) that know GMT's very well and whatever they suggest will help tremendously I'm sure.

Also if you can find a book called "The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip" by Larry Sallee you'll learn everything you need to know about the White's Goldmaster series metal detectors. It will also teach you some gold hunting techniques that can be applied towards meteorite hunting. I understand it's a difficult book to find now so you might have to do some searching around.

Hope this helps!

Del

Also if you can find a book called "The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip" by Larry Sallee you'll learn everything you need to know about the White's Goldmaster series metal detectors.

Looks like a great book Del, but the only copy I could find was over $200, used. sSig_aaarggh.gif

Mike

I'm looking at your space rock pic. I just wanted you to post it so we could get an eye on it to make sure you didn't get jazzed !! on your purchase.

Yes it definitely looks like a G.B. piece.

AND,.... You should be able to hear it from "across the street" with your new GMT.

So the 1st lesson in detecting is "Patience". And you will figure out your detector by yourself or you will get together with someone who can cut the learning curve for you or both but patience is in order.

I don't know your location but if you were near me I would offer you some of my time to get you started. It will all come together for you just relax.

Hi all!

Here is my son with it.

I do not own a GMT, but hunt with friends that do.

You ARE getting some of the best advice you can from these folks here. Stay calm and understand that there is a learning curve to all detectors. All of what is said here will help you greatly, from a great bunch of guys with lots of years of field experience. Listen to them and your learning curve will drastically be reduced with a lot less stress. You got a real detector now. It will give you many years of excellent service. Patience!! Think of it as a women. You got to learn it's ways!!happy0193[1].gif (ducking from flying magnets from Wendy)

Jim

Get the coil down on the ground, when you are hunting, and like Dave said, dig all hits.

You also should do some grabs when hunting, and throw down your GB, every so often.

That will help you tune your ears, to the sound you are looking for.

If you are still having problems, I would take Stan up on his offer. He sure know everything about the GMT.

The one thing, you should know is the covers they make for the coil are cheap, so get the coil down as low as you can.

When you get in a area with a lot of hot rocks, kick them around and swing the coil back over the area again.

The GMT is a great machine...!

Aloha buddy,

Hope you got my email with the list of instructions and tips. Like I said in the email: I bet you that your son will catch on quicker than you as these young guys dont know the word "impossible" and "I just dont understand". Kidding aside, you both should take turns using the machine while the other one reads my tips. It should cut that learning curve bigtime. Looking forward to hearing how things go with this machine.

I should be getting my GMT back from Whites sometime this week after I sent it in for a tune-up and a coil replacement. Now that it is fixed I should be able to start getting back into my groove.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

Everything written above should help you get going. One thing I had a problem with was black sand getting under the coil cover and driving me nuts with false signals. I siliconed the cover on . Also be sure to dig every target, I got the signal "Metal Too Close- Lift search Coil", it about blew my ears off. I dug it anyway ,went down 12 " and pulled out a 2.08 oz GOLD nugget. James McClulloch wrote a book "Advanced Nuggetshooting" he uses a GMT very well and finds everything from big nuggets to some super tiny pieces. You made an excellent purchase, I still use my GMT when I'm not using my GPX5000. Dave

My son says thanks.

I love your son's t-shirt!!!

You don't say where you where giving the GMT ago...you need to be outside, on dirt free of targets and away from power lines and transformers...the very best advice you got was to meet someone in the field...learning your first detector can be a whelming experience...

When i got my first Garret deepseeker (1980); I had my father on my right and my buddy on my left...both asking what did you find, what is that noise...blah, blah, blah...I finally turned the machine off until I could be alone with my new toy...things got easier after that.........................

fred