Nugget Shooter Forums
highbanker58

GPX control box & Airport Security

I'm taking my GPX on its first airplane. Has anyone taken a Minelab control box in their hand carry luggage ? shhh[1].gif I hate to put it in the checked luggage and get banged around by the luggage handlers. OR I could ship it and let the UPS guys get it there. Dave

I think your better off with it in a hand held bag.

The orangutangs at UPS will damage it for sure!

You might undo the screws on the cover so the security can look inside at it.

Gum

I'm taking my GPX on its first airplane. Has anyone taken a Minelab control box in their hand carry luggage ? shhh[1].gif I hate to put it in the checked luggage and get banged around by the luggage handlers. OR I could ship it and let the UPS guys get it there. Dave

I took a Tesoro Lobo through (Still in the box), and got questioned extensively by the TSA agents at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. Once I had answered their questions: Do your REALLY find gold? Where do you go? Can anybody do it? I was allowed to proceed to my gate - Whew! :thumbsupanim

I took a Tesoro Lobo through (Still in the box), and got questioned extensively by the TSA agents at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. Once I had answered their questions: Do your REALLY find gold? Where do you go? Can anybody do it? I was allowed to proceed to my gate - Whew! :thumbsupanim

...and I'm bettin' that you left them some business cards.

Rick ... I have taken various GPX and GP series Minelabs cross country in my checked luggage and never had a problem. First I wrap the control box in bubble wrap ... stuff it between layers of clothes so it is doubly padded. Next just before I close the bag I leave a note for the handler/inspectors as to what they just found in the X-ray as well as a copy of the manual for that machine. I know my bag has been inspected on the interior at least twice and possibly a 3rd time with all my trips to AZ from NH. I put the whole detector and pick in one bag ... just make sure you weigh the bag and stay a couple pounds under the limit so as to attract less attention to your bag. All my trips were on Southwest ... two bags fly free so long as they are 50 pounds or less each ... and again with absolutely no damage. I never did a carry-on with any of my detector boxes.

Mike F

I usually carry the control box in my carry on. Took two trips to Brazil... no problem at all!

Hello everyone

Might as well go to the horses mouth. One of my jobs and training was with the TSA. 1 1/2 years ago I was a trained TSO. Transportation Security Officer. Helping out with security issues at an airport. I am not going into details for obvious reasons. Espionge doesn't sit well with me.

Basically what Mike Furness stated is correct. Also, each airport has different machines that measure various functions. What goes behind the scenes you will not see. If an TSO opens your checked bag a card will be placed inside stating it was inspected. Depending on the airports system checked bags will be randomly searched. Either manually or by computer. Large bags most often. If in a used gun case most definately.

Bubble wrap is ok. It is best so an TSO can see clearly what's inside. The owners manual or copy of would describe what a TSO is looking at. It would help to see a picture of your detector that's being transported. If not on the owners manual supply a picture within the baggage. Disconnect any batteries attached to the detector even though it's turned off. Not all TSO'S know what a metal detector is no matter what model. Make it easier for them and you will soon be on your way.

<snip>

Bubble wrap is ok. It is best so an TSO can see clearly what's inside. The owners manual or copy of would describe what a TSO is looking at. It would help to see a picture of your detector that's being transported. If not on the owners manual supply a picture within the baggage. Disconnect any batteries attached to the detector even though it's turned off. Not all TSO'S know what a metal detector is no matter what model. Make it easier for them and you will soon be on your way.

No offense, but if it is not a dangerous item then it's none of the TSA's business what it is, or does.

:twocents:

Mike

...and I'm bettin' that you left them some business cards.

:thumbsupanim You bet I did, and TSA Officer "Shiela," brought out her husband and daughter two-months later! They got 1.3-grams of flake and were hooked! I also wear my AGA and TerrySoloman.com t-shirts all the time. Great conversation starters!

Dizzy- No offense back at you. But I believe you answered your own question. If a TSO doesn't know what it is.

Then I say- how do they know it's not a dangerous item???? If they do not know what it is. Is the control box concealing an IED explosive device? Is the switch the common trigger for such devices? Why all the wires? Is the box containing C4? Dizzy and others you haven't a clue what terrorists DO. That's no BS. It's hard work by TSO'S that keep you and your loved ones safe. They are not your enemy. Stop listening to TV and impatient cry babies. What we TSO'S forgot you will never learn.

You know what the item is. Make sure the TSO knows as well. Or take your chances with delays and everyone else knowing what you have. It's not just x-rays that take place.

Dizzy- No offense back at you. But I believe you answered your own question. If a TSO doesn't know what it is.

Then I say- how do they know it's not a dangerous item???? If they do not know what it is. Is the control box concealing an IED explosive device? Is the switch the common trigger for such devices? Why all the wires? Is the box containing C4? Dizzy and others you haven't a clue what terrorists DO. That's no BS. It's hard work by TSO'S that keep you and your loved ones safe. They are not your enemy. Stop listening to TV and impatient cry babies. What we TSO'S forgot you will never learn.

You know what the item is. Make sure the TSO knows as well. Or take your chances with delays and everyone else knowing what you have. It's not just x-rays that take place.

No offense taken Explorer1. You are just following orders made up by people who sit around

all day thinking up "What If???" doomsday scenarios, and then creating new "procedures" for

us honest people to have to tolerate when traveling.

Man tells you that it's a metal detector, and that he has no bombs in his luggage. That

should be the end of it. Unfortunately, the TSA says the man has no honor, and is a

liar, and that he will remain suspected of carrying a bomb until he factually proves his

innocence by allowing unreasonable searches of his personal belongings.

BTW: On what basis did you determine that I haven't a clue about terrorists?

America is changed forever, and Americans are losing more freedoms by the minute.

Osama bin Laden might be dead, but he won his battle. No doubt about it.

Mike

Dizzy- Take it from someone who has been there. Perhaps you or others would like a job as a TSO. Go down to your local airport and inquire. Then you will see that hysteria among TSA is an unbelieveable reality. I've been part of counter-terrorism for some time.

But go about your lives in harmony. Do what you feel comfortable in. The more I got involved the more I could understand (ex.) if there was aliens at Roswell why the government kept it quiet. Some things people just can't handle or should know about.

Peace

Come on Dizzy...do you really think people are always honest? Sure you are and I know I am but what about all those others??? I get pissed when the Border patrol stop me at their useless check points, especially when they get too intrusive...but, the supreme court says they have the authority and so, I presume does the TSA...you don't have to like it...

But back to the point...I always carry my control box with me and I always have the manual, just in case and usually a flyer from the operator of whatever expedition I am joining...the box almost always gets a second look and usually a chem-test...but I always get through...with no problems.

fred

Come on Dizzy...do you really think people are always honest? Sure you are and I know I am but what about all those others??? I get pissed when the Border patrol stop me at their useless check points, especially when they get too intrusive...but, the supreme court says they have the authority and so, I presume does the TSA...you don't have to like it...fred

Hi Fred,

Yeah, I guess it was just wishful thinking that people can actually be honest, and should be

respected until they prove otherwise. These days "proving otherwise" is just too dangerous,

so the laws are what they are (and yes, I do respect the law). It's not so much a question

of authority, but one of "is it right?"

I drive almost everywhere I need to go (western states), and won't fly unless there is no

other option. That way I don't have to be stripped down and processed like some inductee

to the local jail before boarding the plane. If I do have to fly, then I'm willing to accept

the rules and regs that go with it, just like everyone else.

My apologies to Explorer and others, as I sure didn't intend to make an issue out of this.

'Nuff said.

Mike

Well.....That was awkward!!!! I'm taking the GPX all the way to Ganes Creek , Alaska. I will go through security 6 times mad0229[1].gifbefore I'm back home. I think I will take my chances hand carrying it with the manual and the promo flyer featuring the GPX5000. I'll have my other detector in the checked luggage, and well padded.Thanks Dave

I Had a problem 12 years ago , I had my whites spectrum and flew from LAX to the east coast I dont remember the

airport ,we were going to Maryland. Had no problem on the way thereWe flew to Texas for another leg of the

Vacation and when we went to fly home to Lax they absolutley refused to allow me to carry on and made me check it.

I powered it up and they still wouldnt let me .