Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia 05/16-17/2011

I made arrangements to meet Jim and Wendy at Franconia to try our luck, while the cool weather was holding. I must have had a senior moment, as I forgot where we were suppose to meet.Unable to reach them by radio I decided to search on my own.

Anyway, after a long fruitless day I headed back to my jeep, when I got a text picture from jim showing his finds for the day.I was jealous, but happy for Jim and Wendy.I decided to call them to pass on my congrats,and bellyache. After receiving some good advise from Jim.

I went back to search an area where I had previously made a find and sure enough it payed out with a nice CO. Jim must have been sending out some good vibes, as my luck had changed. I send praise to Jim :wubu: The next day was a short one, as I had a long drive back to Riverside.

My luck was still holding as I found 2 small irons 30 feet from each other. One was on the surface the second buried about 2 inches. :spinnin:

Total finds: CO 60.2g

Irons 1.84g/ 2.26g

post-3321-0-25858100-1305738574_thumb.jp

Aloha Rich,

Like I said on my text to you: Looks like you are getting the swing of that big coil from the looks of your finds. You just needed to be put in a spot that your coil could run over a specimen or two. Nice job. I wont have my GMT and coils back from Whites for about another week as they are just hammered with business. But when I do get them back I intend on calling in sick for a couple of days so I can catch up to you guys and Wendy too.

Aloha and stay safe out there. Heres hoping the weather stays cool for another week or two.

Stan aka Kaimi

I made arrangements to meet Jim and Wendy at Franconia to try our luck, while the cool weather was holding. I must have had a senior moment, as I forgot where we were suppose to meet.Unable to reach them by radio I decided to search on my own. Anyway, after a long fruitless day I headed back to my jeep, when I got a text picture from jim showing his finds for the day.I was jealous, but happy for Jim and Wendy.I decided to call them to pass on my congrats,and bellyache. After receiving some good advise from Jim. I went back to search an area where I had previously made a find and sure enough it payed out with a nice CO. Jim must have been sending out some good vibes, as my luck had changed. I send praise to Jim :wubu: The next day was a short one, as I had a long drive back to Riverside. My luck was still holding as I found 2 small irons 30 feet from each other. One was on the surface the second buried about 2 inches. :spinnin: Total finds: CO 60.2g Irons 1.84g/ 2.26g

---

Richard! Nice finds! Congrats. I hope you feel better now that you found those! :thumbsupanim Went out East of Parker yesterday...no gold or meteorites but some interesting finds.. 05182011at.jpg

Say Richard, Nice Franconia and irons you have there!! Yea I hate those senior moments, especially "now which wash did I park the car in?" as it approaches dark. :unsure: Good Hunting! Clifton

---

Richard! Nice finds! Congrats. I hope you feel better now that you found those! :thumbsupanim Went out East of Parker yesterday...no gold or meteorites but some interesting finds.. 05182011at.jpg

Jim

You know I feel like a million bucks. To find something so rare, and to wonder where it has traveled to finally reach our planet is amazing. :D

The finds you made are truly interesting. How old do you think the Levi Strauss buttons are and could there be a meteorite hunter running around with his fly open? :hahaha:

Richard

Say Richard, Nice Franconia and irons you have there!! Yea I hate those senior moments, especially "now which wash did I park the car in?" as it approaches dark. :unsure: Good Hunting! Clifton

Clifton

Thanks! I appreciate the support. :)

Richard

Aloha Rich,

Like I said on my text to you: Looks like you are getting the swing of that big coil from the looks of your finds. You just needed to be put in a spot that your coil could run over a specimen or two. Nice job. I wont have my GMT and coils back from Whites for about another week as they are just hammered with business. But when I do get them back I intend on calling in sick for a couple of days so I can catch up to you guys and Wendy too.

Aloha and stay safe out there. Heres hoping the weather stays cool for another week or two.

Stan aka Kaimi

Stan

Thanks, I look forward to getting together with team Hershey. :thumbsupanim

Richard aka kgmrg

Jim

You know I feel like a million bucks. To find something so rare, and to wonder where it has traveled to finally reach our planet is amazing. :D

The finds you made are truly interesting. How old do you think the Levi Strauss buttons are and could there be a meteorite hunter running around with his fly open? :hahaha:

Richard

Hi Richard!

Check the thread in the Coins and Relic Forum. Got some info post there in the coins.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I'm new at this posting thing, so i hope i'm in the right place. From reading the posts you seem to be very knowledgeable about Franconia. Me and my family are planning a trip to Franconia for our first ever meteorite hunt the weekend of June 4th. I was wondering if anyone else might be out there that weekend to give us a few pointers. If not, any tips you guys might have would be very helpful. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the future and making some new friends. We are very excited about our trip to Franconia, it's something i've looked forward to for a long time.

Thanks, Roy

Hi all! I'm new at this posting thing, so i hope i'm in the right place. From reading the posts you seem to be very knowledgeable about Franconia. Me and my family are planning a trip to Franconia for our first ever meteorite hunt the weekend of June 4th. I was wondering if anyone else might be out there that weekend to give us a few pointers. If not, any tips you guys might have would be very helpful. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the future and making some new friends. We are very excited about our trip to Franconia, it's something i've looked forward to for a long time.

Thanks, Roy

Roy,

Temps will likely be in the triple digits. You sure you want to be out there? You need good boots and I highly recommend snake guards.

What kind of hunting to you plan. Detectors???

Jim

Roy,

Temps will likely be in the triple digits. You sure you want to be out there? You need good boots and I highly recommend snake guards.

What kind of hunting to you plan. Detectors???

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim, yes we will be using a detector and neo magnet sticks. I get my detector on thursday so I guess i need to learn fast. Is there an easier place to start or do you think conditions will be too much for beginners?

Roy

The easiest place to "start" and hunt is the south side. That is south of the I-40. Less ground cover and obstructions (rocks).

Harder to find meteorites but they are there. Easier walking for family members out on a 1st trip. Cleared camping areas are also abundant.

Temperatures will be very comfortable this weekend. There is plenty of area to hunt from the Franconia Rd. exit south side back towards the east, hills , washes, and flat areas.

If I can get caught up with responsibilities and get free I would make a day trip. My other half has a new detector she's bugging me about taking her out to use.If you see a silverblue Tundra or dark blue old Jeep Its us.

Good luck an Hapy Huntn.

If I make it down there I'll bring some strewnfield maps for you.

Thanks for the info Jim, yes we will be using a detector and neo magnet sticks. I get my detector on thursday so I guess i need to learn fast. Is there an easier place to start or do you think conditions will be too much for beginners?

Roy

Aloha,

Just out of curiosity, what detector will you be using. We might be able to give you some tips if we knew what you will be swinging. Here is wishing you mych luck.

Aloha and stay hydrated at all times.

Stan aka Kaimi

The easiest place to "start" and hunt is the south side. That is south of the I-40. Less ground cover and obstructions (rocks).

Harder to find meteorites but they are there. Easier walking for family members out on a 1st trip. Cleared camping areas are also abundant.

Temperatures will be very comfortable this weekend. There is plenty of area to hunt from the Franconia Rd. exit south side back towards the east, hills , washes, and flat areas.

If I can get caught up with responsibilities and get free I would make a day trip. My other half has a new detector she's bugging me about taking her out to use.If you see a silverblue Tundra or dark blue old Jeep Its us.

Good luck an Hapy Huntn.

If I make it down there I'll bring some strewnfield maps for you.

Sounds great!! We are staying in Laughlin Saturday the 4th and planning on a Sunday Morning start at Franconia. We would love the company of experienced hunters to show us the ropes. Hope you are able to make it and thanks for the info Frank.

Roy

Aloha,

Just out of curiosity, what detector will you be using. We might be able to give you some tips if we knew what you will be swinging. Here is wishing you mych luck.

Aloha and stay hydrated at all times.

Stan aka Kaimi

We will be using a Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP w/11 inch coil. Never had a detector before so any tips will be very welcome.