Nugget Shooter Forums

Tucson Shows in 2012

Hi Guys-

Anyone have an idea when they come out with the schedule for the Tucson shows? Thinking about going as it's been a long time since I've attended one.

Steve

Here's what the website says

58th Annual Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

February 9 - 12, 2012

That would be the convention center show. For me the real show is the hotel exhibits that happen during the 2 weeks before that.

mick

Yes, and if you are into the mineral side of things , I think that the 2012 theme at the convention center will be Arizona Minerals. California minerals should have been this past show. I was considering a doing "type locality" Arizona display with some of my Payson crystals at the TCC...Maybe...

Here's what the website says

58th Annual Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

February 9 - 12, 2012

That would be the convention center show. For me the real show is the hotel exhibits that happen during the 2 weeks before that.

mick

Thanks Mick-

I first started attending the shows back in the late 70's and early 80's. They weren't anywhere near the size they are these days. Back then, the Tucson shows started the same weekend as the main one in the Convention Center. That's my recollection but I could be wrong about that. :hmmmmm: :shrug: Anyway- I haven't been to a show since 2000. Would really like to go again and am going to try and make it this year for sure. :spinnin:

Steve

Hi Steve, Mick and All

Steve, Mick is spot on the convention center show is impressive but the real show is in the couple weeks leading to convention center show in the hotels and tents set up around town.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B-

I was thinking about attending the meteorite birthday bash. Do I need an invitation or anything to get in? All I ever read about are the important guys like you, Jason, Robert Haag, Steve Arnold, Philip Mani, etc attending.. :hmmmmm:

Steve

Yes, and if you are into the mineral side of things , I think that the 2012 theme at the convention center will be Arizona Minerals. California minerals should have been this past show. I was considering a doing "type locality" Arizona display with some of my Payson crystals at the TCC...Maybe...

Hi Adam-

I've always been interested in minerals since I was a little kid. But I can't afford to take in the whole show so I will probably miss the main one at the convention center. I remember your photos of amethyst and flourite. We'd certainly like to see some more photos of other minerals you've collected.

Steve

Thanks Mick-

I first started attending the shows back in the late 70's and early 80's. They weren't anywhere near the size they are these days. Back then, the Tucson shows started the same weekend as the main one in the Convention Center. That's my recollection but I could be wrong about that. :hmmmmm: :shrug: Anyway- I haven't been to a show since 2000. Would really like to go again and am going to try and make it this year for sure. :spinnin:

Steve

My pleasure. I'll roll in on Feb 1st and leave on Sunday the 5th. The hotel and tent shows I want to see will all be open during that time. It works well for me and my wife enjoys the show. Good thing too...our anniversary is Feb 2nd... :hahaha:

Hi John B-

I was thinking about attending the meteorite birthday bash. Do I need an invitation or anything to get in? All I ever read about are the important guys like you, Jason, Robert Haag, Steve Arnold, Philip Mani, etc attending.. :hmmmmm:

Steve

Steve!

You gotta buy the guy doing the filming a beer....that's it :thumbsupanimrolleye0012[1].gif

Seriously, the guy filming would like a beer! No, really!!happy0193[1].gif Or some of that Rum that Stan drinks! :wacko:

The Birthday Bash will likely be held once again at the Sky Bar. Just come early to get a seat.

Jim

Hi Jim, John B-

You bet I'll buy you a beer of your choice. Any beer... And as many as you want.... ;)

Any idea when they announce the date the Meteorite Birthday Bash is held? Would like as much of an advance notice as possible.

Steve

Hi Jim, John B-

You bet I'll buy you a beer of your choice. Any beer... And as many as you want.... ;)

Any idea when they announce the date the Meteorite Birthday Bash is held? Would like as much of an advance notice as possible.

Steve

I will make noise as soon as I hear something. Last show, it was hard getting info until the last minute. I suspect it will be the same this next year. The main thing in planning is just to get there. Once you do, things will fall into place. I think it's too soon for anyone to know much.

Jim

Jim-

Is the date set by committee or is it just some guy that makes that decision? I'm not 100% sure I'll make it but I'll certainly try. Wouldn't be able to travel at the last second as the fares are too expensive. Should have a months notice if at all possible.

Steve

Hi Steve and All

I can drink a bunch of beer :rolleyes: !! But after 2 I'm one of those instant aholes in a can :inocent: !! Steve Arnold And Geoff Notkins Birthday is Feb 2nd. The Bash is usually on the friday evening before the Mike Blood auction which is saterday night of that week. Both of them are open to the public and a lot of fun and great places to see and learn about meteorites :mellow: . It's a great place to meet other people with the same interests from all corners of the planet :) . I'm not certain I like the new location of the birthday bash tooo small, crowded and noisy :( . The old ones at the ramada inn and private residences were far more fun, where you could actually visit with others there and enjoy Steve and Geoff's humor routine :yuk-yuk: . Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B-

Back when I was attending the shows, you used to actually be able to get a motel room believe it or not. These days, it seems like every room in every motel in town is booked by the show dealers. Where in the world are people supposed to stay when they come into town? :hmmmmm: 1000's of people come into Tucson and I'm at a loss where they stay at. :shrug:

By the way- I can't drink any more but I will certainly buy one for everybody else. :)

Steve

Hi John B-

Back when I was attending the shows, you used to actually be able to get a motel room believe it or not. These days, it seems like every room in every motel in town is booked by the show dealers. Where in the world are people supposed to stay when they come into town? :hmmmmm: 1000's of people come into Tucson and I'm at a loss where they stay at. :shrug:

By the way- I can't drink any more but I will certainly buy one for everybody else. :)

Steve

Honestly....I don't drink much. If I have two beers in a 6 month time frame, I'd call that normal. Doctor says I should drink!^_^

Yep...you are sharing the same concerns I had last year!

Jim

Aloha Jim,

Have started a little savings jar for this show and yes I will be bringing some of that Bacardi Gold and all you guys have to do is show up with an ice cold can of coca cola.

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Aloha Jim,

Have started a little savings jar for this show and yes I will be bringing some of that Bacardi Gold and all you guys have to do is show up with an ice cold can of coca cola.

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Sounds good Stan!:thumbsupanim My savings jar for this event is a 5 gallon jug!!happy0193[1].gif

I talked to Michael Blood today. Things are beginning to stir and people have started to call on rooms, flights, etc.

Here is the scoop on the Michael Blood Auction.

When: Feb 4th, 2012

Where: Tucson VFW Post 4903 1150 N. Beverly Ave.

Time: A presentation will begin about 6:15pm (I'd get there a little early)

The Auction will begin at 7:30pm

Ruben and I will be filming again and putting on the live streaming video.

Twink Monrad will likely be cutting the Gold Basin Cake directly after the presentation. The cake will be bigger (or just more cake) this year!

Jim

Rcvd a message from Twink and she confirms she will be there with the cake. This year it will be one and a half sheets of cake.

What that means is one sheet for me and the rest for the rest of y'all :hahaha: :hahaha:

Wendy found her first Gold Basin Meteorite in her piece of cake! How cool is that!:thumbsupanim

Jim

Hi John B, Jim and All-

Well it looks like the Birthday Bash will be held Friday night, Feb 3rd at points unknown. Really want to go this year since I haven't been to the shows in a few years. May finally get to meet some of you guys down there. Hoping by planning ahead I can save a few bucks but we'll see. Can anyone recommend any really,really cheap motels? Like $20.00 a night? ;) :inocent: I know that's wishful thinking but I just had to ask anyway. :hmmmmm:

Steve

I took a quick look and the cheapest for the show time is $60.00 at Palo Verde Inn and Suites.Just down the street from the big tent show area at the Kino Sports Park.

Hi John B, Jim and All-

Well it looks like the Birthday Bash will be held Friday night, Feb 3rd at points unknown. Really want to go this year since I haven't been to the shows in a few years. May finally get to meet some of you guys down there. Hoping by planning ahead I can save a few bucks but we'll see. Can anyone recommend any really,really cheap motels? Like $20.00 a night? ;) :inocent: I know that's wishful thinking but I just had to ask anyway. :hmmmmm:

Steve

AS of Right this moment shuttle buses will run to MOST venues.

Well the site I use just had an update to the 2012 TGMS. Gov't funded buses are out for now and most likely stay that way.:baaasmiley: But look at the site your self or I'll get yelled at for going on & on & on,oops. http://emol.org/tucson/gemshow/ .

Don't get mad at me,but I live about 25 miles from all the good shows,so I don't keep up with the buses that much.If anybody wants info on the Tucson area not covered by websites give me holler here. " ABE " Enochs.