Nugget Shooter Forums

Associatoin claim def

Steel Pan

I've been lookin' all over the place and I can't find anything that defines what constitutes an "Association Claim".

Does it pertain to the number of co-claimants?

The size of the claim?

Or, is it a seperate designation where claimants form an official "Association"

where members attend meetings, collect dues, sell "memberships", etc.?

An association claim allows contiguous ground of 20 acres per claimant to be treated as a single claim. For example, a maximum of eight different claimants can claim up to 160 acres as a single claim, for purposes of fees, proof of labor, etc. ... After the claim is established and recorded per local and federal laws, seven of the original claimants can quit claim ownership to one person, thereby allowing one individual to own the equivalent of eight claims ... Also, thereby creating a thriving eBay claim hawking business for scumbags! (IMHO) :rolleyes: Cheers, Unc

So Unc,

If there are two or more co-claimants the claim would be concidered an "Association Claim" and would be governed by the new rules for filing "Association Claims". Right?

One of my co-claimants is trying to argue the issue with me, and I really don't know why. Except that maybe he never even goes out to the claim and thinks he is above any regs/fees.

The rest of us are working on getting him off the claim.

I'm not certain if a single 20 acre (or less) claim is considered an "association" claim ... Also, I seem to remember something in the mining laws that permit a notice to be filed publicly, i.e., local newspaper, demanding that a non-participating claim "partner" pay his share or relinquish any ownership percentage to the remaining active (paying) partners ... I used to see that quite often up in N. CA around 1980 when everyone went crazy for claims, but then many lost interest ... Cheers, Unc

One of my co-claimants is trying to argue the issue with me, and I really don't know why. Except that maybe he never even goes out to the claim and thinks he is above any regs/fees.

The rest of us are working on getting him off the claim

This is exactly why my last 2 claims I have my brother on one and also his wife on another.

People think differently as far as who gets to mine there. I never had a problem letting people on my claims but on an old claim we had one of the guys just didn`t want anybody down there , period. It wasn`t so bad but caused a little friction sometimes.

Now I have control of both of my claims so theres no problems.

Sometimes it sounds good to get many people on a claim so you get more acreage but you always take that chance of fallen outs between claim members, getting them to sign paperwork,etc. At least this is my experience.

blm.gov, and in the big BLM book. You have just encountered the absolute worst scenario aka disgruntled partner. Get him outta there asap. You must buy out or he quitclaim out as no other legal way to get rid of him. Court proceedings only work ifn' he refuses to sign annual paperwork-lotza luck as your a gonna need it :hmmmmm: John

From what I'm finding we may have an out.

The changes in Association requirements may knock him off the claim. :unsure:

We may be able to hang him with the co-claimant requirements.

Still looking though.

Selling or Quit Claiming an association claim to a single owner use to be held up as legal under certain case law. That case decision was recently overturned and no longer will BLM allow a placer claim over 20 acres to be held by only one claimant forcing many to re-file on the same claim and include multiple claimants once again. Probably why they also require the new notarized documents from the additional claimants proving their interests in the claim to begin with and not just being names on a paper.

Need to see that n' in writing as once a contractural obligation has been finalized and all covenents fullfilled no way jose can the game plan be changed-John who/what/when/where as snopes says NO

Selling or Quit Claiming an association claim to a single owner use to be held up as legal under certain case law. That case decision was recently overturned and no longer will BLM allow a placer claim over 20 acres to be held by only one claimant forcing many to re-file on the same claim and include multiple claimants once again. Probably why they also require the new notarized documents from the additional claimants proving their interests in the claim to begin with and not just being names on a paper.

If that is true, just think of the legal quagmire that instantly exists...Thousands of association claim, including a huge percent of those ever sold on eBay, would be affected ... Lawyers lining up to figure out who sues who ... If that became retroactive, that would invalidate thousands of claims... :hmmmmm: Maybe that's what the govt. has in mind, eh? ... Cheers, Unc

If that is true, just think of the legal quagmire that instantly exists...Thousands of association claim, including a huge percent of those ever sold on eBay, would be affected ... Lawyers lining up to figure out who sues who ... If that became retroactive, that would invalidate thousands of claims... :hmmmmm: Maybe that's what the govt. has in mind, eh? ... Cheers, Unc

I know of several instances here in AZ, one of which I was personally involved with where new claims had to be filed by the original claimant to include one name for each 20 acres of the claim simply because of the change BLM made. All had been legal one owner claims of over 20 acres when they received letters from BLM informing them of the error and BLM's decision to void their claims unless new paperwork was filed showing at least one claimant per 20 acres of ground or to amend the claim to only cover 20 acres. Call BLM if you wish but this is now fact.