Nugget Shooter Forums

In need of assistance identifying meteorite

Hello all, I am new to this community and would like to ask for assistance in identifying this find that I have. I am sure it is in the stony iron category, and looks to be of Pallasite nature but not sure. When held next to a neodymium magnet it sticks mildly to the specimen. Please let me know if the picture needs to be retaken, for this is w/o flash on a cloudy day.

Thank you.

dscf0731xm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dscf0730d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not likely...a pallasite or siderite would have plenty of nickel/iron for any magnet to slam to it...sorry...also, there would be visible bits of greenish olivine if it were a pallisite...

clear picture is always better...my opinion is based on what you wrote...

fred

I cant see the photos but from the description it is definitely not a pallasite. Any pallas iron would be highly magnetic and SNAP to a neo magnet. And no pallasite is complete without olivine, and that is an easy I.D.

A pallasite would be the only meteorite it would not be difficult to identify. Irons and stones all have terrestrial look alikes, but a pallasite is something that is very difficult to mistake. Once you see a steel fruitcake it is difficult to forget it.

BOB I spent years doing stained glass and everytime I see a palasite thats what they remind me of.

Mom's fruitcake had some green inclusions. Never figured out what those were. The bread was a rusty orange and dark toasty glaze. My first pallasite looked just like a hunk of Mom's fruitcake. Without the pecans.

I suppose a pallasite cut and polished would remind a person of stained glass. It reminds me of sex in the choir loft. It is funny how different folks associate things differently.

Oh I see. Ok, then I know you guys cannot see it from the picture, but there are flecks of metal in the stone and it does have an olive hue once held to sunlight. It also has a nice fusion crust on the rounded edge of it that looks to be heavily oxidized. All of the Pallasite I have seen do resemble the "fruitcake" look, but wouldn't I have to get the stone cut for that?

Any suggestions as to the best place for laboratory analyses?

Thanks again guys!

Oh I see. Ok, then I know you guys cannot see it from the picture, but there are flecks of metal in the stone and it does have an olive hue once held to sunlight. It also has a nice fusion crust on the rounded edge of it that looks to be heavily oxidized. All of the Pallasite I have seen do resemble the "fruitcake" look, but wouldn't I have to get the stone cut for that?

Any suggestions as to the best place for laboratory analyses?

Thanks again guys!

Hello,

I do not think you are at the point of needing laboratory analyses. I would like to suggest you go to my website and read the short documents there and watch the videos. Your pictures are out of focus which could be misleading as well. if you follow the steps in the doc and the videos, you will have a much better understanding on what you need to do. Hope they help!

http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org

Jim

Hello,

I do not think you are at the point of needing laboratory analyses. I would like to suggest you go to my website and read the short documents there and watch the videos. Your pictures are out of focus which could be misleading as well. if you follow the steps in the doc and the videos, you will have a much better understanding on what you need to do. Hope they help!

http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org

Jim

Thank you, I have just halved the stone for further analyses. It is not part of my collection, and is a find I had for some time but no time to check it out due to my busy schedule. It looks like a stony, will update you guys with my findings.

Thank you much for the link and info Jim.