Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Desertsunburn

Trilby Wash Meteorite

Hi all!

While playing "Name That Meteorite", Johnno posted a nice pick of a Tribly Wash specimen.

While I was researching the winning answer to naming the meteorite, I came across some information by our very own Bill Southern saying that ASU classified it as an L5-S1-W3.

Now, it's classified as an L4 and I am interesting in hearing about the history around that as I find this stuff really interesting.

Any info??:)

Jim

He's looking the other way Jim :ph34r2: :inocent: :hmmmmm:

I really do not remember exactly why that would be....? Typo on my part perhaps? It is classified as an L4 though as you said. I know we were all doing allot of amateur guessing before actual classification was finished by Laura Bleacher at ASU....

I really do not remember exactly why that would be....? Typo on my part perhaps? It is classified as an L4 though as you said. I know we were all doing allot of amateur guessing before actual classification was finished by Laura Bleacher at ASU....

Oh Man! I thought it was going to be some new scientific break though!:arrowheadsmiley:

Nice find Bill!

Jim

Thanks... I think :rasberry:

There have now been several more small specimens found and if any of you guys want to look for more one day I'll point out the strewn field as we now know it....

Want some hard hunting? For a cool meteorite? If a small group of you want to hunt (forum folks only) I'll give ya the .50 tour and may even have time to hunt a bit.

Now you did it Bill, I'm going to have to round up Uncle Marvin and my better half an pack the detectors up one day soon to take you up on that.

There have now been several more small specimens found and if any of you guys want to look for more one day I'll point out the strewn field as we now know it....

Want some hard hunting? For a cool meteorite? If a small group of you want to hunt (forum folks only) I'll give ya the .50 tour and may even have time to hunt a bit.

Hi Bill and thanks for the offer. Can you define hard hunting?

I am always up for a good hunt miner[1].gif and really appreciate the offer. And, sounds like you might get a change to give that smoker a real good work out??? Hmmmm???? :)

Jim

Hey Bill I'll take you up on the .50 cent tour so count me in. If I find anything I'll gladly give you in-situ pics with coords. Sounds like this could be a lot of fun.

Del

Sound good lets say sometime in late Dec. should be just great :yuk-yuk:

Al;len in MT

So does this meteorite go beep?

Indeed it does Bob, and a good signal even on a PI

So does this meteorite go beep?

An L4 will probably go zip-zip

Probably a lot like the Gold Basin stuff.

Jim

Bill, I'll even take the .25 tour, because I know the gov't needs it's far share because it's on their land :hahaha: . Count me in too....I might have enough gas money by then too... Jason ;)

Hi Bill,

I'm definately up for the "fitty sen" tour. I've hunted there before, and would love to do it again. Is Lou still living in one of the cabins? He had found a nice piece of Trilby. It would be great to have a group hunt.

Ben

Count me in for the hunt, sounds like a good time. What time frame are we looking at?

Sounds like fun. What is the general location of this find? I am unable to find any info on this one.

Thank you, Ed

Sounds like fun. What is the general location of this find? I am unable to find any info on this one.

Thank you, Ed

Ed, it's in the met bulls....just put in Trilby and it pops right up.

And it sounds like we could have a fun get together/hunt.

Jim

Hi Bill!

Sounds like it's on! Very cool! :thumbsupanim

So Far 1321hrs today we have for sures:

I suspect a few more

Jim & Wendy

Frank

Del

Jason

Ben

Terry

Allen (if December??)

Jim

G'Day Everyone

dang, you're killing me. I'm stuck in this god forsaken hole. Yeah, you can laugh, 5 minutes from the beach and 5 minutes from a gun fight, 5 minutes from a flight back home. Wish I could get up there.

Trilby Wash was our first purchase and has become a very special part of our collection. Not only from it's aesthetical view but hell, the world famous Bill Southern licked it.

I only have this one specimen and I don't want to mess with it but I really would like a slice, can be really thin. I don't care, even just a fragment exposing the interior.

So I wish all you guys and gals the best of luck out there. Hang on a minute... Ok, I'm right now, just needed to clear a few tears from my eyes, couldn't see the monitor

Oh, hum. I'll just crawl back into my hole and wait to hear the spectacular outcome. Now don't hold back. Bill, you're great to ask everybody on this hunt. The rest is all "what you dont' want to hear" .. nasty words, kicking anything in site because I can't get there. :yuk-yuk:

Go Get Trilby!!!

Cheers

Johnno

Update on the list

Jim & Wendy

Frank

Del

Jason

Ben

Terry

Allen (if December??)

Stan

Trilby Wash was our first purchase and has become a very special part of our collection. Not only from it's aesthetical view but hell, the world famous Bill Southern licked it.

Hi John!

I am not much of a collector (my wife doesn't agree, with all the junk I have around the house...I keep telling her it's not junk) but understand about special rocks. I just bought a small stone slice from Anne Black that I've been wanting for the last two years....Allende. I held a nice chunk of it last year in Quartzsite and it's been bugging me ever since. Understand the licking too! It's an Arizona thing!

JohnB darn near had a whole room of folks licking his ..... his .... specimens at his talk in Tucson. I am still laughing about that!happy0193[1].gif

Jim

Update on the list

Jim & Wendy

Frank

Del

Jason

Ben

Terry

Allen (if December??)

Stan

Fred

[i found it.. On topo it looks to be remote and fairly rugged terrain. Az. is great, wish I could get my wife to move there. Hope we can make it to this hunt.

Ed

IF you can Bill, I would love the .50 and to join everyone if invited. Let me know.

Dave