Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm headed to Anchorage this summer. I go up every other summer to visit family and friends. I'm taking my Minelab with me this time and need info on clubs in the area I can join to have access to their claims? I lived in Anchorage for 25 years after arriving there in 1956. Didn't have time for Gold back then, too busy raising a family and working. I've seen the error of my ways and go out swingin my detector every chance I get now. Dave

E-mail AMDS-Alaska Mining and Diving Service, Steve Herschbach, in Anchorage asap for info as the thaw has begun--John

akmining.com is Steve's website, has a great forum on there also. We really dont have much for clubs up here unfortunately. There are some gpaa claims, but their pretty low grade. There are a handful of pay to mine outfits, Crow Creek Mine being the closest @ about 40 mins from anch. I think its 15-20 bucks a day for a detector admission. Its also probably your best chance of finding ANYTHING in the anch area with a beeper. Hatcher Pass could make a interesting trip, nuggets are very rare, but occasionally gold bearing float can be found. The interior areas seem to have the bigger gold( fairbanks, chicken,and ruby come to mind).

The alaska mapper program can help avoid claim jumping( it has an ative mineral rights layer that portrays both fed and state claims), but you can find all this stuff on steves website. I highly reccomend it.

If you have any ?'s pm me, and i'll try to help if i can.

akmining.com is Steve's website, has a great forum on there also. We really dont have much for clubs up here unfortunately. There are some gpaa claims, but their pretty low grade. There are a handful of pay to mine outfits, Crow Creek Mine being the closest @ about 40 mins from anch. I think its 15-20 bucks a day for a detector admission. Its also probably your best chance of finding ANYTHING in the anch area with a beeper. Hatcher Pass could make a interesting trip, nuggets are very rare, but occasionally gold bearing float can be found. The interior areas seem to have the bigger gold( fairbanks, chicken,and ruby come to mind).

The alaska mapper program can help avoid claim jumping( it has an ative mineral rights layer that portrays both fed and state claims), but you can find all this stuff on steves website. I highly reccomend it.

If you have any ?'s pm me, and i'll try to help if i can.

Dave- I've been looking at Crow Creek as a possible day trip.I have a friend with a claim in the Hope area that I have access to. Have you ever done any beepin in the Hope area? I am only going to be in the Anch.area for 10 days so I want to make the most of it. I will get ahold of AMD tomm. thanks for the info. Dave

Never did any beeping in Hope area, dredged a few times( with various results) If you buddy's claim is on Bear Creek, then you might have a shot( biggest nugget on the Kenai Penn. came from there 30 oz) Resurrection Creek is pretty much fine gold, but i havew heard of small pieces being found( 1 dwt or so) Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck and have a fun trip!

I don't know where the claim is. I built him a 30 foot GOLD trommel out of a piece of the trans-Alaska pipeline. He made a bloody fortune with it back in the early 80's. Thanks for the info. Dave