Nugget Shooter Forums

Amazing old movie

Hi All

This really doesn't have anything to do with gold other than it's San Francisco a few days before the earth quake and fire of 1906 one of the oldest 35 mm films in existence !! Enjoy !! Kinda reminds me of driving in Mexico, Oman and Australia. Happy Huntin John B.

CABLE CAR IN SAN FRANCISCO IN 1906

105 YEAR OLD FILM CLIP

This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever that has come to light. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car as it`s traveling down the street. You feel as if your really there, standing at the front looking down the street, amazing piece of historic film.

The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing! The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there. How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick upafter the horses? Talk about going green!

Great historical film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!).. It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing, but true!

No wonder there had to be laws created to regulate driving habits. This is insane. Good thing they couldn't go very fast.

This is a fascinating movie. A camera on the front of a street car 105 years ago. I watched it a couple of times. Look at the hats the ladies were wearing and the long dresses. Some of the cars had the steering wheels on the right side, I wonder when they standardized on the left? Sure was still a lot of horse drawn vehicles in use. Mass transit looked like the way to get around. Looks like everybody had the right of way.

Perhaps the oldest "home movie" that you will ever see!

That was a great find. It's odd to view a film depicting people happily going about their lives, knowing that a calamity will soon turn their world upside down. Did anyone else notice that out of the hundreds of people in the film, there was only 1 person who appeared to be overweight? Even the middle-aged folks were agile on their feet as they dodged cars, wagons, and street cars. It was a very different world back then.

I also discovered some new music that I like.

Rick

To think, there may have even been some Civil War veterans in that film.

Maybe one or two original '49ers trundling along as well.

That was the age of the big shift, from technology that had existed for thousands of years, horse/cart to motorized transportation! Both caught in the frame of this film.

Some of the younger people there may even have lived long enough to sit in front of their TVs and watch the first men on the Moon!

What must they have thought?

I like that kid at about 3:00.

Typical kid goofing off in front of the trolly.

Guess some things never change. :)

Gum

That's a great film and I also have seen it before and it still amazes me how close some of the people, cars and wagons come to almost getting hit!!!

I don't know if it was announced that this film was going to be done or it was just obvious to everyone that there was something strange mounted on the front of that streetcar but it sure seems that a lot of people were trying to get in the film or just wanted to figure out what the camera was the way most of them just stared at the front of the streetcar, I'm sure the camera was huge!

After watching the film I saw this film that was taking after the earthquake on the same street or at least it seems to be the same street, you really can't tell until the very end when you see the clock tower at the end of the film clip, the film clip is not of very good quality as you will see, it also may have been very smoking or foggy or both the day this clip was taken, either way you will not see the clock tower until the camera man get almost to it at the end of the film and it still not very clear, but by the shape of the building you can tell it's the clock tower.

It amazing the difference in the area after the devastation of the earthquake.

Skip

That's a great film and I also have seen it before and it still amazes me how close some of the people, cars and wagons come to almost getting hit!!!

I don't know if it was announced that this film was going to be done or it was just obvious to everyone that there was something strange mounted on the front of that streetcar but it sure seems that a lot of people were trying to get in the film or just wanted to figure out what the camera was the way most of them just stared at the front of the streetcar, I'm sure the camera was huge!

After watching the film I saw this film that was taking after the earthquake on the same street or at least it seems to be the same street, you really can't tell until the very end when you see the clock tower at the end of the film clip, the film clip is not of very good quality as you will see, it also may have been very smoking or foggy or both the day this clip was taken, either way you will not see the clock tower until the camera man get almost to it at the end of the film and it still not very clear, but by the shape of the building you can tell it's the clock tower.

It amazing the difference in the area after the devastation of the earthquake.

Skip

Heres a side by side comparison of the movies.

Gum