Nugget Shooter Forums

Coin Shoot today 15 May 2011

Howdy Folks,

The local GPAA chapter hosted a coin shoot today here in town and let me say, this was my first real coin shoot and I had a blast!!! :ROFL: :whoope: Tokens, nickels, dimes, quarters, half and dollars lined the hunt area (dirt parking lot) and about 50 or so hunters were ready for hunt. I recently purchased a White's Coin Master and used it for the hunt. At first the targets were randomly dispersed, but once I got the hang of the machine, I started using my detecting skills and did pretty well :inocent: . Around $503.00 in coins were placed on the field and after the first hunt go around, about $200 was still left out there. I headed back and found a couple dollars and two more tokens. All in all a fun day hunting and having a good time. I ended up with $21.21, paying for the entrance fee and a few prizes from the various raffles. Have fun and keep looking down, Jason ;)

DSC07637.jpg

DSC07638.jpg

Aloha Jason,

Nice haul you got there! The weather was also very nice for this time of the year, surprised more people didnt show up. Unfortunately, I am without a detector for another week as i sent my GMT back to whites for a tuneup. Looks like I may have to get a backup unit to take care of them days when I start to get the withdrawals.

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Bill & Stan, yeah it was blast and I had a good time. The hour time limit went way too fast and I couldn't believe it was up when they called time. I was also surprised at how well organized the prizes were and event overall. This was only the second time the club held a shoot. Very well indeed.

VV, glad you scored too. It was a fun time. Now if we could only get rid of the foil in the hunting area. :grr01: :grr01:

Jason ;)

Howdy Folks,

The local GPAA chapter hosted a coin shoot today here in town and let me say, this was my first real coin shoot and I had a blast!!! :ROFL: :whoope: Tokens, nickels, dimes, quarters, half and dollars lined the hunt area (dirt parking lot) and about 50 or so hunters were ready for hunt. I recently purchased a White's Coin Master and used it for the hunt. At first the targets were randomly dispersed, but once I got the hang of the machine, I started using my detecting skills and did pretty well :inocent: . Around $503.00 in coins were placed on the field and after the first hunt go around, about $200 was still left out there. I headed back and found a couple dollars and two more tokens. All in all a fun day hunting and having a good time. I ended up with $21.21, paying for the entrance fee and a few prizes from the various raffles. Have fun and keep looking down, Jason ;)

DSC07637.jpg

DSC07638.jpg

Hi Jason- Looks like you had fun. Wish I could make a living doing that. :rolleyes::inocent:

Steve

Steve, there sure was a lot of competition. I don't think anyone could make a living doing that, except in FL maybe. There you might have a chance to find the rare coin, that was part of Blackbeards hoard or something. I had a good time. I didin't realize the stress of hunting on the clock. An hour went pretty fast. Jason ;)

Jason and all!

On these competitions, what do folks use to get that stuff out of the ground??? I find I spend a lot of time searching around for the item, once it beep over it. The beeping is the fast part. Digging and isolating the find is the long part...of which i have not mastered yet.

Jim

Jason and all!

On these competitions, what do folks use to get that stuff out of the ground??? I find I spend a lot of time searching around for the item, once it beep over it. The beeping is the fast part. Digging and isolating the find is the long part...of which i have not mastered yet.

Jim

In the case of this hunt, it was in a dirt parking lot that had been baked in the desert sun for years. It was tough digging for the organizers, therefore most targets were under rocks, is sparse grass or very shallow. There was a good amount of junk (I skipped most of it). It was the first time in that location so it will improve. It was still lots of fun.

In the field, after you learn the detector, the digging and isolating goes pretty fast. Use a good digging tool (Lesche)that I expoxyed rare earth magnets to. I also use a Garrett Pro-Pointer. Watch out for the rivets in your pants and other stray metal on your person (watches)they can make you chase your tail.

Use a test bed to learn tones from you detector and practice.

Good luck!

In the case of this hunt, it was in a dirt parking lot that had been baked in the desert sun for years. It was tough digging for the organizers, therefore most targets were under rocks, is sparse grass or very shallow. There was a good amount of junk (I skipped most of it). It was the first time in that location so it will improve. It was still lots of fun.

In the field, after you learn the detector, the digging and isolating goes pretty fast. Use a good digging tool (Lesche)that I expoxyed rare earth magnets to. I also use a Garrett Pro-Pointer. Watch out for the rivets in your pants and other stray metal on your person (watches)they can make you chase your tail.

Use a test bed to learn tones from you detector and practice.

Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks!

My issue is not with my detector, it's separating the dirt and rock from the target after you dig. For me, this is where most of the time is spent. Magnetic stuff is pretty easy but the stuff that doesn't stick, I find I spend a lot of time digging and separating to finally find the target.

I kinda figure the competition guys would have techniques for isolation to speed the process up. I find myself grabbing handfuls of dirt and swinging them over my coil. Once is squeaks I then dump the pile on the coil and stick my finger in the pile and move it around until I hear my detector reacting. Of course I am talking small targets....even though I've have pennies mess with me in a pile of dirt too! Seems very time consuming in a timed event....got to be a better way. I have a Garret Pro-pointer and it's proven to miss targets.

Jim

Hi,

Thanks!

My issue is not with my detector, it's separating the dirt and rock from the target after you dig. For me, this is where most of the time is spent. Magnetic stuff is pretty easy but the stuff that doesn't stick, I find I spend a lot of time digging and separating to finally find the target.

I kinda figure the competition guys would have techniques for isolation to speed the process up. I find myself grabbing handfuls of dirt and swinging them over my coil. Once is squeaks I then dump the pile on the coil and stick my finger in the pile and move it around until I hear my detector reacting. Of course I am talking small targets....even though I've have pennies mess with me in a pile of dirt too! Seems very time consuming in a timed event....got to be a better way. I have a Garret Pro-pointer and it's proven to miss targets.

Jim

Yes-the pro-pointer gets retarded once and a while and it needs rebooting. I set my detector down and using my plastic scoop, I dump/meter the material though the coil. Works good for me. Bullets give me the biggest problems.

These club hunts are a blast. The 2 main hunts I do are NW Trteasure Hunters in Spokane Wa and Tri state in Kennewick WA, Over he years I have won 4 detectors 5 gold coins, misc prizes and a whole passle of silver coins let alone the common coins. These 2 hunts are held each Mothers Day weekend and Fathers Day weekend and I have sponsered a couple of huntes here in MT. Always a blast

Allen in MT

Steve, there sure was a lot of competition. I don't think anyone could make a living doing that, except in FL maybe. There you might have a chance to find the rare coin, that was part of Blackbeards hoard or something. Jason ;)

Jason-

I vaguely recall reading about a metal detecting "circuit" where a group of hunters travel all over the country going to these hunts. No doubt some of them might do good but like you stated- they would have to be very rich in order for anyone to be able to make a living off them. My guess is most of them are retired and already have a good income. Looking forward to the day when ESPN starts carrying these hunts. ;) :rolleyes:

Steve

These club hunts are a blast. The 2 main hunts I do are NW Trteasure Hunters in Spokane Wa and Tri state in Kennewick WA, Over he years I have won 4 detectors 5 gold coins, misc prizes and a whole passle of silver coins let alone the common coins. These 2 hunts are held each Mothers Day weekend and Fathers Day weekend and I have sponsered a couple of huntes here in MT. Always a blast

Allen in MT

You guys are lucky. We don't have many hunts here in Missouri- if any.

Steve