Nugget Shooter Forums

New NJ Meteorite Crater?

Township officials believe a small meteorite impacted the front lawn of a township home last Friday morning at about 11:35 a.m., creating a trench and spewing dirt and debris on the lawn, driveway and street near the residence.

The residents were not home at the time, members of the Township Committee said when discussing the event at Tuesday night's meeting, although police later said the homeowner was on the property, but heard nothing. No one was injured, Township Mayor John Malay and other officials said.

The address of the home has not been released. However, Township Committeeman John Carpenter said the home is in the southern end of the township.

An official police report issued on Wednesday said police had responded at about 2:26 p.m. to a report of property damage to a residence located along the Mount Airy Road corridor, south of Lyons Road. Police said they are withholding the address for the privacy of the residents.

Sgt. Scott Ward arrived at the home and observed a hole in the ground at the front of the property, police said. The hole was approximately seven feet long, four feet wide and 18 inches deep, according to the police report.

In addition, dirt and rock debris were strewn approximately 100 feet from the hole, police said. Police said the homeowner stated that he had been home all day and did not see or hear anything that he believed may have caused the hole. The homeowner noticed the hole at about 2:15 p.m., according to police.

Neighboring residents were also questioned and none of those neighbors reported seeing or hearing anything out of the ordinary. The following agencies responded to investigate what may have caused the hole: Liberty Corner fire chief Peter Aprahamian, Public Service Electric & Gas and Jersey Central Power & Light. It was determined that no gas lines or underground electrical wires were in the area and therefore not responsible for creating the trench.

Malay said no trace of a meteorite was found, but the material may have disintegrated upon impact. "It must have been traveling pretty darn fast," he said.

The mayor said a seismograph based at the William Annin Middle School detected an "event" that day at about 11:35 a.m.

In order to rule out the possibility that an explosive device was responsible for creating the hole, the New Jersey State Police Bomb Squad was contacted and responded to the residence. The NJSP Bomb Squad determined that no evidence of an explosive device was present.

Based on tree damage near the hole and media reports of increased meteor shower activity that was present on the morning of May 6, it is believed that the hole may have been caused by a meteorite.

Officials expressed relief that the flying object did not hit a house, or injure anyone.

Original link : http://baskingridge.patch.com/articles/officials-believe-meteorite-hit-basking-ridge-lawn

post-23978-0-83304600-1305312853_thumb.j

No way. That is clearly not an impact crater. The displacement berm is on the wrong side of the hole and is not evenly distributed. That dirt did not get ejected out of the hole by impact, it came out of the hole little by little. And nothing disentegrated on impact there. If there was enough force to smash a small meteorite those clods would have been dust. A pressure wave displaces soil in front of an impact and has as much force on the earth as on the impactor.

The neighbor kid dug up his stash and made a mess. Nothing to see here folks.

A meteorite impact :hahaha: :hahaha:

Barney the Saint Bernard next door got his bone thats all ....

A meteorite impact :hahaha: :hahaha:

Barney the Saint Bernard next door got his bone thats all ....

It was probably an "L" type Milk Bone with a light tan fusion crust. Maybe some kibble inclusions.

I bet the whole story is bunk. I cant see a bunch of cops not being able to find a track in that soft dirt or a reason for that hole, and I cant imagine anyone making the wild assumption that the hole was meteoritic in nature. And the thought that a piece of stone could have entered the atmosphere, detonated on impact and left a crater could have happened with no sound while folks were in the house.

Either someone was spining up a National Enquirer story or someone is pulling our leg.

It was probably an "L" type Milk Bone with a light tan fusion crust. Maybe some kibble inclusions.

Good one! ..that's likely an accurate description.rofl.gif

Could also be a 10 yo. out with his dads metal detector.. zipper.gif

The town has agreed that it's not a meteorite, but they still haven't a clue as to what it really was:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/possible_meteroite_appears_in.html

Mike

You guys are too funny

Although this has been kept quiet, I heard FrankC's s uncle had an issue with his space craft and had to do a rough landing for repairs. Turned out all it was with the electron filter in the atomic nebulizer was dirty and all he had to do was tap the micro-meteorite dust out of the filter and he was good to go. He used the fusion beam thruster to depart so he would not awake anyone. mad0264[1].gif

dang Stan...this rum is GOOD!:thumbsupanim

Jim

Although this has been kept quiet, I heard FrankC's s uncle had an issue with his space craft and had to do a rough landing for repairs. Turned out all it was with the electron filter in the atomic nebulizer was dirty and all he had to do was tap the micro-meteorite dust out of the filter and he was good to go. He used the fusion beam thruster to depart so he would not awake anyone. mad0264[1].gif

Jim

"Bartendress! Pleasssse bring me a double of whatever kind of Rum it is that fellow is drinking...alc.gif

Jim

So is anyone going to do a magnet sweep of the area and collect those micro meteorites? I bet they all have wings!

I didn't take Uncle Marvin to be much of a drinker, but if he is I hope Frank can keep his finger off the trigger of that Illudium 23 Space Modulator or he will blow us all to bits.