Nugget Shooter Forums

Dry Washer

Doug f

I am trying to install a new fabric on my Dry Washer and not having much luck with getting the glue to stick to both the metal and fabric. If I could get someone to tell me what glue works best. Also if anyone has used Silk or Rayon, as I have read that they tend to make the finer gold stick in the tray.

Thanks, Doug.

I am trying to install a new fabric on my Dry Washer and not having much luck with getting the glue to stick to both the metal and fabric. If I could get someone to tell me what glue works best. Also if anyone has used Silk or Rayon, as I have read that they tend to make the finer gold stick in the tray.

Thanks, Doug.

doug i used extremely fine silk i got from the mother in laws scarf. it worked great until i left it up against a thorny bush which put 2 holes in it and of course i made the hole bigger by poking it with my finger. next i used a mans silk shirt i purchased from a charity shop, it was made of heavy strong silk and proved a disaster as the air would barely go through it and once it choked a little with dust it stopped me dry washing altogether, i tried to wash it with soapy water and even the water wouldent go through it. ended up calling it a day and going home. i got a piece of sheet or cloth blind im not sure it was black and you can pretty much see through it and the air passes through it real easy and so far so good. i usually use spray on glue in a can you buy at home depot/ its beside the laminate spray glue but its the general purpose glue which only has to be sprayed on the metal. i usually spray on the glue and do my best to stretch the cloth as tight as i can get it when sticking it to the bottom of the riffle tray, i have a plastic cover with holes in it i put on next/ usually i put a bit of clear silicone on the edges and under the riffles and a quarter of an inch up the riffle on the cloth material to create a dead air flow zone to allow the fine gold to rest in. i use small screws and washers then to hold the plastic in place and help the cloth to last longer. my riffle tray dry washer is 10 years old so its a little battered but still gets the gold. to remove old glue use a little acetone on a rag will melt the glue away use gloves and a ventulated area working with acetone.

If its a 151 you have you can get the cloth and glue from keane for $25 plus postage.

i just fitted a new vibroscopic fan on my dry washer today asthe old fan had broke and from 10 blades it was doun to about 5 so it was getting it hRD TO VIBRATE THE MATERIAL.. the fan nit cost $45 plus postage.

A good quality muslin or 65/35 cotton polyester will provide great performance and service life. At least thats on a Pinocchio Puffer (WOOD) drywasher.

Don't know how they will perform on them blower motor units.

doug i used extremely fine silk i got from the mother in laws scarf. it worked great until i left it up against a thorny bush which put 2 holes in it and of course i made the hole bigger by poking it with my finger. next i used a mans silk shirt i purchased from a charity shop, it was made of heavy strong silk and proved a disaster as the air would barely go through it and once it choked a little with dust it stopped me dry washing altogether, i tried to wash it with soapy water and even the water wouldent go through it. ended up calling it a day and going home. i got a piece of sheet or cloth blind im not sure it was black and you can pretty much see through it and the air passes through it real easy and so far so good. i usually use spray on glue in a can you buy at home depot/ its beside the laminate spray glue but its the general purpose glue which only has to be sprayed on the metal. i usually spray on the glue and do my best to stretch the cloth as tight as i can get it when sticking it to the bottom of the riffle tray, i have a plastic cover with holes in it i put on next/ usually i put a bit of clear silicone on the edges and under the riffles and a quarter of an inch up the riffle on the cloth material to create a dead air flow zone to allow the fine gold to rest in. i use small screws and washers then to hold the plastic in place and help the cloth to last longer. my riffle tray dry washer is 10 years old so its a little battered but still gets the gold. to remove old glue use a little acetone on a rag will melt the glue away use gloves and a ventulated area working with acetone.

If its a 151 you have you can get the cloth and glue from keane for $25 plus postage.

i just fitted a new vibroscopic fan on my dry washer today asthe old fan had broke and from 10 blades it was doun to about 5 so it was getting it hRD TO VIBRATE THE MATERIAL.. the fan nit cost $45 plus postage.

Thanks for the replies,

I purchased some 60/40 cotton poly and was planning on using it, then I read about the silk and rayon. I will try the spray on glue from Home Depot and use the cotton poly combo. I pretty much understand everything you said except the plastic cover. Not sure if the cover has small holes or just big holes under the tray between the riffles. It didn't come with any support for the fabric so I have even considered using door screen.

I will definately put some silicone on the fabric by the riffles to help hold the fines.

Thanks for the help, I was able to get the fabric to stick with the spray glue. Works great.

Doug f,

I use galvanized hardware cloth with 1/8th of an inch square holes for a frame. Cut it to fit in the box, under the riffles. Cover the top of the metal cloth with the cloth of your choice, just folding it under enough to glue and keep the glue areas underneath the riffle tray assembly when installed.

Hope this helps, along with the other good advice given by others.

Greg