Nugget Shooter Forums

sick feeling

a few weeks back i met a new prospector out looking in washes who didnt have any experience dry washing. I let him run material he had classified through my dry washer until he got his own. most of the time he would be working in areas where there was little to no gold and i would invite him over to where i was working as i was getting some gold there. we ended up being a team working areas.

Last week we were trying a hill top where many nuggets were got via. minelab and we had a go dry washing the area, after about a day we got nothing, i went on farther past the hill and found a nice wash to work he went to one of the side washes. next day he came up to me and said he was getting nothing much in that wash i told him i was getting some gold and told him to come up and work this area. he did and about 15 feet from where i was he dug into the glory hole where the old timers had missed, he had been pulling small pickers and small nuggets out of there all week and he is still getting more. all in all i git a few grammes out of the spot i was in he actually threw thre rocks into parts of the area i was working.[i was working my way towards the glory hole and would have uncovered it in a few hours but out of courtesy and to give him room to work i turned around and worked the other way.]

at the end of the week i walked away with afew grammes maybe 6 if im lucky ,i guess from what i have seen he has already about 3 to 4 ounces. im sick about that when i was getting gold and he was getting none i invited him over, when he hit the mother lode he didnt invite me to work the area, he could see i was scrounging all over the area trying to get a few grammes together. he doesent think he has done anything wrong but im bitter and have a sick feeling over the whole thing.

i know im gullable and feel a fool he rang me up to out digging next week i dont want anything to do with him and i ought to tell him i dont want anything more to do with him. last week he had to go away for 2 days and i ended up looking after his gear and buckets laiden with gold bearing material and i didnt touch anything. my wife told me while he wasnt there i should have been up digging the rest of the gold out of the hole, because im catholic stupid and honest i didnt even though i found the place and secondly we were on club claims and he wasnt there i could have and should have dug the rest of the gold out.

im really annoyed and bitter about the whole thing.

i guess now i know why most prospectors work on their own.

what do you fellow prospectors think.

He should have backed off and let you work it a bit too considering you let him use your gear and showed him the ropes. I was finding a good streak of bedrock with some one to two gram pieces of gold one day in almost every pan with my buddy working the section of rock right next to me. He was finding nothing all day. The next day we moved a big rock from the path I was working and I found a nice piece right off the bat. We both knew there would be good gold under that rock but I told him I was done with that spot and he should give it a try. It was hard for me to do for sure. The rest of the day I found nothing while he was whooping it up. It was ok though, I would rather keep the peace and also a good buddy.

Give him a call on the phone, ask him since you helped him, if you could dig in his glory hole, or if he minds splitting everything 50/50 . If he says hell no, kindly say ok, goodbye, then go to the spot for the 2 days he is gone, rape everything, then pack up and go. Because as soon as he says no, you know what kind of person he is, and since you showed him the way, you should at least get half. It burns my hide when you go out of your way to help someone, but once they hit some gold your their enemy, and they forget about everything you showed them. That is why a lot of times when I go with someone I dont know, I make the ground rules in the beginning.

Dave

Don't give up on helping a newby , the majority of the people out there are good people. I would have laid down the rules BEFORE he started, anything he finds in your area is split. Then re-enforce it as the digging goes on, one for you- one for me ..... If he's going to be a turd you will know it early on. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Maybe he will read this and do the right thing.dry.gif Dave

Unfortunately, you tell some guys that "this is my area I researched for years to find, but you're welcome to a day or two here" and then they come in and make it their day job for a very long time ... It's a bummer, but gold prospecting and patch sharing are not team sports sometimes ... :muted: :muted: ... Way it is, moving west ... Cheers, Unc

Flat out tell him how you feel. How you are disappointed after showing him the ropes of the area that he didnt invite you over to share the wealth as you had done to him. He may yet realize the error in his ways. Best of luck.

Give him a call on the phone, ask him since you helped him, if you could dig in his glory hole, or if he minds splitting everything 50/50 . If he says hell no, kindly say ok, goodbye, then go to the spot for the 2 days he is gone, rape everything, then pack up and go. Because as soon as he says no, you know what kind of person he is, and since you showed him the way, you should at least get half. It burns my hide when you go out of your way to help someone, but once they hit some gold your their enemy, and they forget about everything you showed them. That is why a lot of times when I go with someone I dont know, I make the ground rules in the beginning.

Dave

DITTO!

Plus since you said it was on club claims why should you even have to ask for his permission to 'Pound that area". I say go for it and let him know that you are disappointed in him and that he needs to start doing his own research on areas in the future.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

last week he had to go away for 2 days and i ended up looking after his gear and buckets laiden with gold bearing material and i didnt touch anything. my wife told me while he wasnt there i should have been up digging the rest of the gold out of the hole, because im catholic stupid and honest i didnt even though i found the place and secondly we were on club claims and he wasnt there i could have and should have dug the rest of the gold out.

Being bitter will only get you an ulcer, and it won't bother him in the least bit.

He might have a bit more gold than you, but you have two things this chap obviously

doesn't, and those are honor and integrity.

Since he's a bit of a bonehead, I would sit him down and explain (politely if possible)

that it is only appropriate that he share that area with you. It is a club claim, and

therefore open to any if he is not working the area, and I would advise him of that just

in case he didn't read the guidelines.

Of course you want to avoid bad-blood between you, but this guy seriously needs a bit of cranial/rectal

inversion therapy. bur2.gif

Mike

Club claim is a club claim, and you were working that area and headed that direction anyway. I say go dig it all out.

Paul

a few weeks back i met a new prospector out looking in washes who didnt have any experience dry washing. I let him run material he had classified through my dry washer until he got his own. most of the time he would be working in areas where there was little to no gold and i would invite him over to where i was working as i was getting some gold there. we ended up being a team working areas.

Last week we were trying a hill top where many nuggets were got via. minelab and we had a go dry washing the area, after about a day we got nothing, i went on farther past the hill and found a nice wash to work he went to one of the side washes. next day he came up to me and said he was getting nothing much in that wash i told him i was getting some gold and told him to come up and work this area. he did and about 15 feet from where i was he dug into the glory hole where the old timers had missed, he had been pulling small pickers and small nuggets out of there all week and he is still getting more. all in all i git a few grammes out of the spot i was in he actually threw thre rocks into parts of the area i was working.[i was working my way towards the glory hole and would have uncovered it in a few hours but out of courtesy and to give him room to work i turned around and worked the other way.]

at the end of the week i walked away with afew grammes maybe 6 if im lucky ,i guess from what i have seen he has already about 3 to 4 ounces. im sick about that when i was getting gold and he was getting none i invited him over, when he hit the mother lode he didnt invite me to work the area, he could see i was scrounging all over the area trying to get a few grammes together. he doesent think he has done anything wrong but im bitter and have a sick feeling over the whole thing.

i know im gullable and feel a fool he rang me up to out digging next week i dont want anything to do with him and i ought to tell him i dont want anything more to do with him. last week he had to go away for 2 days and i ended up looking after his gear and buckets laiden with gold bearing material and i didnt touch anything. my wife told me while he wasnt there i should have been up digging the rest of the gold out of the hole, because im catholic stupid and honest i didnt even though i found the place and secondly we were on club claims and he wasnt there i could have and should have dug the rest of the gold out.

i guess now i know why most prospectors work on their own.

what do you fellow prospectors think.

A couple of the guys have said it. Just tell the guy how he made you feel - but, here's the catch. If he decides "what's his is his," walk away and don't look back. Chalk it up to a learning experience and let Karma take it from there. The gold gods will reward you in the end, and work thier wrath on those that would cheat a fellow prospector.

Two-years ago at was at Stanton, AZ, when two guys that had been prospecting together for 10-years got in an argument over a .4-gram picker, and who should own it because it came off of one or the other guy's patch. Well, the one fellow actually went for his gun and we had to take it away from him (67-years old) till he calmed down and his "friend" left town in his motorhome 20-minutes later. The guy in the motorhome made it to Wickenburg, where his engine blew. The Gold gods were not happy.

A lot of us have been burned by "gold feverites," :tisk-tisk: and learned a valuable lesson. Looks like school just let out in your case. - Terry

Welcome to gold prospecting...

Sadly it will someday happen again and it goes both ways, just wait until you get invited to a spot to help with claim evaluation and told "you can keep all you find" and then you find the biggest nugget from this spot after the owner has worked the area for years. What did I do? Gave it up, but was in no way rewarded for effort or sportsmanship with even a thanks or a smile. Now this feller will not associate with me either for some weird reason. How big was that huge friendship breaker? 7.2 grams if I remember right... :inocent:

He was pissed from the moment I found it and told me to be sure I stayed off the claim while he was back in MI for the winter

The gold I found I was to keep was to be my pay for a day helping him find out where there may be more nuggets on his claim :inocent:

I have also had patches raped and raked over days or even months to get every tiny nugget by friends after showing them the area, but I look at this a bit differently I guess because the fault was mine for showing off a spot to someone I did not know well enough to take there in the first place. Yes I have gone to the trouble to try and explain my feelings, but in most cases the jackass pretends not to understand the problem....

Again welcome to gold prospecting...

:spinnin: It's called GOLD FEVER MINE MINE MINE . :hmmmmm: When ya find another righteous paystreak :nono: clean it out and move on.Keep it clean,lean and quiet. Had a club want my 3/4 pounds a gold from a permit property that I SPENT 100'S A HOURS GETTING CONTRACTS SIGNED AND NEGOTIATIONS DONE" :lol: All I could say was VESA MA :eee: John

It will come back to you. KARMA You were a good guy and lady luck's timing was a bit off for you by letting the other guy step in you missed out.

Lesson learned there are other ways to be sociable/kind/a helping hand type of situations.

KARMA I believe in it. You will be rewarded at another time maybe another place believe me.

ANOTHER WAY I SEE CLUB CLAIMS IS if theres no written rule as far as working an area on the claim its OPEN to ALL ALL the time as long as your dues are current. isn't it.

If theres a written rule about working an area then you could be polite and adhere to the rules guidlines.

But in reality you should feel a little sick in the stomach at first then fell sick in the HEAD second for putting yourself in the situation where someone else finds something very nice in an area YOU were working because you invited them there.

HAPPENED to all of us I'm sure at one time or another. I know it has to me I would have had the biggest nugget of my collection if I hadn't made the same mistake as you did. So don't feel bad very long just LEARN from it and handle a similar situation differently next time.

HAPY HUNTN and remember KARMA SHE'S A FINE GAL.

Being a newbie, I don't have enough experience to offer any advice except to say that you both had a test of character when he worked that honey hole, and the results speak for themselves. A person's morals and ethics remain pretty consistent from one activity to another. I also agree with what others have said about "karma" balancing things out in the long run.

I would chalk it up to being a learning experience and change the way I go about joint operations in the future. Also, no amount of gold is worth losing a longstanding friendship over, but a recent acquaintance like the guy you describe is another matter. He's already shown his colors, so I would just stop having anything to do with him.

I learned a little bit about etiquette from this thread, and in the future I won't be so pesky about asking for advice from the guys who've been at it for a while. If they seem a little reserved, now I understand why. (They've probably been burned before.)

Rick

Silvervortek I know how you feel and since your a nice guy that likes to help people just take it to the next

level...as soon as possible...any way possible let all club members know exactly where that honey hole is

located.... :brows:

Exactly the same thing happened to me back in the 80's. Newby prospector riding my coattails saw that I was doing well. We worked the weekend together and went home on Sunday evening. I own the claim and was allowing him to prospect. The next Friday I came back to find he had been there for three days cleaning it all out. He had decided to come back without me and get the gold. When I took exception he bowed up and told me that "I had given him permission to prospect". I asked him to leave and that made him mad as hell. He did not work and could prospect full time and I had a hell of a time with him for two years hygrading my claim while I was not there during the week. Then he jumped a friend's claim and threatened to shoot him, I, or anyone else who came near it. I responded by taking a big ol' stinky crap on his new claim marker and wiping my fanny with his location papers. That must have rubbed him the wrong way because he became enraged. I dont know why becasue I folded the papers up and returned them to the mason jar from whence they came.

A few years later I began burrying nickels for him to find. He found a whole handfull. It is funny how Karma works.

The gold is unimportant. Revenge is the only thing that matters after a certain point. Knowing that a fellow has dug through a pile of your crap for a nickel certainly helps. Knowing that he will do it repeatedly is divine.

No use getting bent out of shape over a few ounces of gold. Just go and find more. But if you can get a snake in his bedroll or a target under a fresh turd then I say go for it!

Ahhhhh. Language issues. As many interpretations as there are interpreters. Example: A guy is working late, calls home to let Honey know so she won't worry. Result "A": Honey understands and expresses her concern that he is working too hard. Result "B": Honey wonders to herself whether it is the redhead or the blonde this time. Having tried many cases before juries and just based upon 68 years of general life experience I have concluded that there IS NO FORMULA for ever getting a communication 100% guaranteed understood. We just take our chances every time we open our mouths or post a reply. Bottom line: If you decide to risk sharing one of your spots with another, then you also either stand to make a friend or risk getting screwed and making an enemy. Be thankful when you find a true friend. They are very hard to come by. Don't whine about it if you get screwed. Just learn your lesson and move on.

Ahhhhh. Language issues. As many interpretations as there are interpreters. Example: A guy is working late, calls home to let Honey know so she won't worry. Result "A": Honey understands and expresses her concern that he is working too hard. Result "B": Honey wonders to herself whether it is the redhead or the blonde this time. Having tried many cases before juries and just based upon 68 years of general life experience I have concluded that there IS NO FORMULA for ever getting a communication 100% guaranteed understood. We just take our chances every time we open our mouths or post a reply. Bottom line: If you decide to risk sharing one of your spots with another, then you also either stand to make a friend or risk getting screwed and making an enemy. Be thankful when you find a true friend. They are very hard to come by. Don't whine about it if you get screwed. Just learn your lesson and move on.

4000 year old language issues= Thou shall not....we still haven't figured out just exactly what is meant by that.

If it is a greenhorn you invite TO COME WITH YOU to work a spot you can't help but be glad it he/she hits a streak. Still---a person of value would invite you to eat at your buffet.

Working a spot and going out of your way to help a stranger that screws ya'---I'd go with the suggestion of leaking the location to other members.

Another option:

Don't give the guy a hint that you are unhappy with him, and then take/tell him about another

"hot" area that he can check out. Make it sound like the "Be all-End all" place to dig, and

then turn him loose. Since you certainly put him in the Glory Hole the first time, he has no

reason to distrust your recommendation. Make sure it's a spot where he has to work his arse

off to get anything at all.

He don't sound too bright, so it could be weeks before he figures out that the gold just isn't

there... meantime he's out of your hair and you can clean out the other spot. :lol:

A proper lesson to educate individuals like him must be very carefully planned and executed. beer.gif

Mike

Two-years ago at was at Stanton, AZ, when two guys that had been prospecting together for 10-years got in an argument over a .4-gram picker, and who should own it because it came off of one or the other guy's patch. Well, the one fellow actually went for his gun and we had to take it away from him (67-years old) till he calmed down and his "friend" left town in his motorhome 20-minutes later. The guy in the motorhome made it to Wickenburg, where his engine blew. The Gold gods were not happy.

A lot of us have been burned by "gold feverites," :tisk-tisk: and learned a valuable lesson. Looks like school just let out in your case. - Terry

This happens all the time. Anyone ever watch the movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"? Now most people don't kill over gold but it sure does strange things to people. I've seen it many, many times myself.

Steve

Steve

Being almost a gold virgin I would have been peeing my pants :WOW: if I found 3 or 4 oz of gold. But being the guest and friend you would have been right next to me digging and I wouldn't have gone back to the spot without you. Of course I would have been bugging you everyday 24 hours a day to get back out there.

Just my :twocents:

Maybe I miss read the OP but there's 2 sides to every story. Maybe the fella don't even realize that your over there eaten up with envy. Don't let a little yellow metal mess you up. I read all these posts here and see the real ""fever'' in alot of em. Some of ya'll sound just like Humphry Bougart in T of SM.