Nugget Shooter Forums

Snakes versus space rocks!!!

After checking the weather, Rob C and I figured today would be one of the cooler days left to hunt before summer begins in earnest. Headed to GB and decided to try a different strategy focusing on a smaller area, working in a systematic manner instead of our usual scattershot approach. The plan began to pay off immediately as we had five finds in the first several hours. After lunch we kept the the ole GMT's grunting with another four finds. As I was digging my last find our from several inches of dirt, I looked up and saw Rob almost running/trotting towards me with a face that looked like he had just seen a ghost. As I cleaned the dirt from my 29 grammer, Rob said "Dude I almost stepped on a Mojave Green"! That was the last thing I expected on a cool windy day like today, and after expressing my doubt, Rob walked me over to a spot and pointed. I looked and didn't see anything but bushes. Finally I spotted a greenish coiled up snake sitting in plain sight but hard to see unless you were looking for it. (picture attached) Rob had apparently come within inches of stepping on it! I got as close as I dared and took a couple pictures, the snake seemed lethargic and didnt seem to care we were even there. I also realized that I had walked within about 3 feet of the snake while working the area, and didnt even notice it. The snake never made a sound, and finally just slowly slithered away under a bush. Anyway after that encounter we decided that our hunt was done for the day, and maybe even for the season. So the finally tally for the day was 9 OC's ranging in size from 29 grams to my smallest ever of 1.7 grams, and 1 2-3 foot mojave green. (at least i think its a mojave green, im no expert) That was my first up close encounter with a mojave green, and my new resolution is to look exactly where im placing my feet in advance lol, and my snake gaiters will never come off!!6c0ff0f4.jpg9456beae.jpg81cc0acd.jpg

Congrats on your finds. I had a similar Mojave Green experience several years ago at Cadiz. I must have walked right on top of it, when I felt something hit my boot. It wasn't till then that the Mojave Green began to rattle. I was a bit shaken-up as I expected the snake to warn me before I would get too close. :whaaaa: So, I guess at this time of year you need to keep one eye looking for meteorites and the other for snakes .

Be safe,

Richard aka kgmrg

Good job hunting! You must have found a hot spot! Awesome picture of the snake!

Jim

Well HELL Terry that 2nd pic looks like a bunch of meteorites arranged in a triangle pattern, why didn't Rob just reach down an pick em all up' :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

AN Uncle Marvin says, Congrats on the lil honey hole you came upon. Nice lil haul for the trip.

Nice space rocks...

the myth of snakes always warning lives on and on...as does the idea they won't be out on cool days...if the lizards are out so are the snakes...I will say it again I have seen snakes out in every month of the year in California and Arizona...not many but they can and will come out on warm southern exposures...

fred

Got hit on the side of the boot by a prairie rattler a few years ago in January at 7000 feet. The nights were in the teens but the day had warmed to about 65. If the weather is above about 50 degrees you could see a snake almost anywhere in the Southwest. They certainly arent as active in the cold but there is some risk 365 days a year. Especially the small snakes...they warm up faster and are able to be active when there are just a few minutes of warm weather per day.

Nice finds!!!

pretty good luck with that snake too :yikes:

When I see photo's like that I wonder why people think they blend in but then again I can never pass those color test tests....

So maybe the lack of red cones they say I have makes them snakes easy to see for me

Terry, Some good look'n meteorites you have there!!! I like your meteorite holder!! Yea Mojaves are heart stoppers! Just got to look three times every time, especially before you reach down. The scenario that worries me most is dropping the backpack to GPS-photo a find and then reaching down to pick up the backpack several minutes later. I have to tell myself to look around the backpack before I pick it up. The other scenario I've cured myself of is beeping road burms or wash sides lengthwise, looking at the burm or wash side and not really looking a where my feet are going through the brush on the low side of the burm or wash side. I caught myself doing this a couple of times when I first started beeping, and thought that's really asking for it. Good Hunting!!! Clifton

Wendy came across this fellow this morning while we were cold hunting. Took this pic with her cell phone.

0513010704.jpg

Be safe out there!!

Jim

Howdy Folks,

Every year the snake stories come out just as they do and the hunting slows down. And for good reason. Here is a pic I also post about this time of year. A good friend of mine got tagged while in California during an exercise for the USAF. Little did he know that he was also allergic to penicillin. Be safe out there... Jason ;)

snakebite.jpg