Nugget Shooter Forums

Just got back from 2 days of detecting in the Stanton area. Mid 60's in the morning and by noon it's almost 95 degrees. I did manage to pick up a dink in a wash, but it was HOT. I put my Minelab battery next to the AC when I got back to camp to cool it down. BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT. HA !!! DAVE

95? Good job on that dink at least. I have a feeling you'll be posting the next find that came from just 10 ft. away from that dink. Go get'em tiger.

Just got back from 2 days of detecting in the Stanton area. Mid 60's in the morning and by noon it's almost 95 degrees. I did manage to pick up a dink in a wash, but it was HOT. I put my Minelab battery next to the AC when I got back to camp to cool it down. BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT. HA !!! DAVE

Ahh yes Dave, the dry Arizona heat. Sometimes I stick my head in the oven here in New York just to feel closer to home - LOL! It was still 111-degrees last September 15th, when we started swinging out there, and didn't drop into the 90's till around October 20th. The desert, she gets hot this summer - keep a sharp eye out for Arnold and the Predator! Wink Wink - Terry

:*&$*(: we finally broke 80---for 1 lousy day--back to 50-60 and old bones need mo'of that righteous sun-- :whoope: John

:*&$*(: rain, lightning and thunder again last night and 41 degrees-- :nono: if'n anyone sees mother nature could ya all ask her to return sping to us :lol: John

:inocent: Beautiful Redding California :whaaaa: the undisputable sweaty armpit of the once great San Juaquin Valley :whoope: now how in the name a god and all that's holy did I ever end up here :grr01: John

:inocent: Beautiful Redding California :whaaaa: the undisputable sweaty armpit of the once great San Juaquin Valley :whoope: now how in the name a god and all that's holy did I ever end up here :grr01: John

Tough break John--hope you get some nice weather soon.

All the best,

Lanny

Tired of the heat Dave? Just head straight up I-5 till you hit Mount Vernon WA, and then take

a right towards the North Cascades. We've had a total of 5 days of 60º+ weather since Jan. 1,

and the average temp. for April was a balmy 44º. My telescopes have sat idle for so long

I think they're beginning to grow mold...:yikes:

Mike

Hey John...I spent 23 miserable years up on my Sugar Creek Ranch near Callahan off the Scott River...Redding was the big city 100 miles south...No way to make a living, weather sucks, but it sure is beautiful, if that counts for anything ... It was nice to walk out the front door and go get some decent gold with pan, sluice or dredge in my front yard, nice nuggets and lots of fine gold, but that was then, this is now...Now, there's limited mining, no steelhead fishing and piss firs scampering all over the place with "citation" books on their hips...Just over 12 wonderful years in the big AZ now and I'd never go back to Kali ... I pulled up all the roots and just left...You can too, and I don't think you'd ever be sorry...So far, you don't even have to know spanish here, if you're over 100 miles north of the border :thumbsupanim ... Cheers, Unc

Man Uncle Ron, that sure sounds good to me too! Like Dizzy said, weather here (I'm about 100 miles south of Dizzy) has been terrible. :grr01: Arizona is looking better and better every day. :thumbsupanim

Cors

:olddude: Freezing in the summer :blink: hot as hades in the summer BUT--sacramento river,trinity river,shasta lake, whiskeytown lake, klamanth river, scott river,and a zillion creeks. Mount shasta,shasta caverns,trinity alps,chocolate mountain wilderness,burney falls,castle craigs-- :whoope: could go on for hours BUT gold gold gold is the kicker Unc Ron and I am ADDICTED :evil1: and luv'n' it sir--AZ time a coming once the houses are free--close but not quite there yet--John :cigar:

Yo John, you left the best of all off your list: Trinity Lake!!! It was 35 minutes from my ranch... Small mouth bass big enough to bite off your trolling motor ... You have to be careful when dropping your anchor 'cause a big ol' greenback would hit it and tow your boat all over the lake 'til it got tired and spit it out!!! :thumbsupanim:thumbsupanim:thumbsupanim There are some things I sorta miss up there ... Cheers, Unc

Ron: The Skagit River has one of the few remaining runs of Steelhead that are still genetically considered as "Wild" fish, but the tribes get to gillnet them in the rivers, and sadly they are about all gone now. Here's one (catch and release) from a few years back that went about 16 pounds:

steelhead.jpg

Mike

Dizzy- After 25 years I Left the green state of Washingtonaction-smiley-034[1].gif and moved to sunny Arizona. That was 12 years ago. I could NEVER live up there again. Now when we have an overcast day we get depressed.blink.gif 350 sunny days a year + or - a few. I enjoy going out to the yard and picking a fresh orange in January. music-smiley-001[1].gif LIFE IS GOOOOOOD !!!!! AND I GET TO GO OUT AND CHASE NUGGETS ONCE IN A WHILE. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif DAVE

Dizzy- After 25 years I Left the green state of Washingtonaction-smiley-034[1].gif and moved to sunny Arizona.

You are truly a wise man to have escaped...beer.gif

We have a beautiful place here right on the Skagit River, BUT, I am sick of rain, cold,

mold, moss and (did I say rain?)...I've been up here 25 years now, but I spent the previous

25 years in So. Cal. and much of that running around the Calif. and Nevada deserts.

That was 12 years ago. I could NEVER live up there again. Now when we have an overcast day we get depressed.blink.gif 350 sunny days a year + or - a few. I enjoy going out to the yard and picking a fresh orange in January. LIFE IS GOOOOOOD !!!!! AND I GET TO GO OUT AND CHASE NUGGETS ONCE IN A WHILE. DAVE

I've spent the better part of the past 2 weeks getting our place into "For Sale" condition.

Hoping to get a quick sale as we'll offer it at a marketable price. Not sure how far South I

can get the wife to move, but we need to be within a days drive of Portland to stay close to

our kids and grandkids.

Further we can go the better, IMO, as I'll certainly have better skies for observing, plus

access to much better gold country than here. There are days this is the most beautiful

place on the planet, but they are few and far between and no longer enough to hold me here

on a full-time basis.

If we could afford to just buy another place down South and keep this place that would be

even better. I could fish here and prospect there...woot-035.gif

Mike

All you winning about the weather don't know what your saying. :rolleyes: I live in north eastern Washington state and it is beautiful here sunshine and 30 degrees in the morning, recent snow on the nearby mountains, rain at my house last night and none of that extra HOT SWEATY weather that you folks have down south. You don't know what your missing. :yuk-yuk:

All you winning about the weather don't know what your saying. :rolleyes: I live in north eastern Washington state and it is beautiful here sunshine and 30 degrees in the morning, recent snow on the nearby mountains, rain at my house last night and none of that extra HOT SWEATY weather that you folks have down south. You don't know what your missing. :yuk-yuk:

Rain and cold from Oct. to May ain't for everyone... :inocent:

Rain and "Sun blips" here today, and a whopping 45º when I got up. You're in some

awesome country if you are up there in Tonasket (just over the hill from me!)

Mike

Rain and cold from Oct. to May ain't for everyone... :inocent:

Rain and "Sun blips" here today, and a whopping 45º when I got up. You're in some

awesome country if you are up there in Tonasket (just over the hill from me!)

Mike

Ok, so it was sunshine and a hot 64 degrees this afternoon, even had to turn on the air conditioner in my Pick up going to Omak.

:rolleyes:

Before leaving Washington we had 140 days without seeing the sun. It was a long winter !! My joints weren't working very good in Wash. But now ,living in Arizona -no problem. I guess there is a place for everyone, it would be really crowded if we all lived in the same area. Dave

It may be hot in Arizona but in New Mexico it is not. Not one drop of rain from the heavens since the first of the year and only a .08" of measurable precip in a couple of light snows. Then there is the sustained 50 MPH winds that blow constantly. No relief in sight this year. So Wednesday it blew 70MPH, hailed, rained, snowed, and then the sun came out and it was a beautiful spring afternoon. The low was 45 degrees and the high was 78 degrees. But we finally got 1/10" liquid precipitation on the ground.

Our runoff happened in February. It should be happening now. Less than 1/2 the expected snowpack on the Rio Grande drainage and only 1/4 on the Pecos. We expect this to be the driest, windiest year on record. The winter was one of the warmest ever and I only burned 1 cord of firewood all season...less than half of normal. But we had one week where the low was -26 degres and the high for the week was -7...An all time record cold snap in the middle of one of the warmest years on record!

So we have had the driest year, the warmest winter, the coldest temps, the least snow and the most wind all in one year.

It may be hot in Arizona but in New Mexico it is not. Not one drop of rain from the heavens since the first of the year and only a .08" of measurable precip in a couple of light snows. Then there is the sustained 50 MPH winds that blow constantly. No relief in sight this year. So Wednesday it blew 70MPH, hailed, rained, snowed, and then the sun came out and it was a beautiful spring afternoon. The low was 45 degrees and the high was 78 degrees. But we finally got 1/10" liquid precipitation on the ground.

Our runoff happened in February. It should be happening now. Less than 1/2 the expected snowpack on the Rio Grande drainage and only 1/4 on the Pecos. We expect this to be the driest, windiest year on record. The winter was one of the warmest ever and I only burned 1 cord of firewood all season...less than half of normal. But we had one week where the low was -26 degres and the high for the week was -7...An all time record cold snap in the middle of one of the warmest years on record!

So we have had the driest year, the warmest winter, the coldest temps, the least snow and the most wind all in one year.

In my part of the state (eastern Washington) it has been unseasonably cold. We are getting a cool wind out of Canada all day. Not a lot of wind speed but just enough to make you keep your coat on even if it is 50 degrees. Cut the wind like getting in the truck and it feels warm fast. Sunshine everyday. We have 130 % snow pack and they are talking serious flooding this year, if it ever warms up. We usually have a couple of months of 80 t0 100 degree summer sunshine.

:inocent:

In my part of the state (eastern Washington) it has been unseasonably cold. We are getting a cool wind out of Canada all day. Not a lot of wind speed but just enough to make you keep your coat on even if it is 50 degrees. Cut the wind like getting in the truck and it feels warm fast. Sunshine everyday. We have 130 % snow pack and they are talking serious flooding this year, if it ever warms up. We usually have a couple of months of 80 t0 100 degree summer sunshine.

:inocent:

Our average is 150" per year in snow at this elevation. We had about 2" this year. Dry like cotton. As it melted the evaporation would suck it up into the air and the ground would be bone dry under the snow. The ground did not even freeze and heave because there was no moisture to freeze, therefore the pastures are hard as a rock and wont accept water even if it did rain. Despite the fact that it was much wamer than usual this winter, this spring is cold. It has not gotten over 80 degrees so far and we are generally 90+ by now. It froze solid just three or four nights ago and killed everything that did manage to bloom.

Very bad news. It is either flooding so bad it is ruining the midwest or so darn dry and windy that nothing will grow. Even North Americas oldest irrigated valley has ZERO water for the first time in history. Fires are burning everywhere, smoke fills the air daily, and no end in sight. No grass, not even sprouts yet. And locusts and click beetles everywhere. Already the fleas and deer mice are everywhere and we have already had cases of Bubonic and Hanta as well as West Nile and H1N1. The pollen and dust is so thick in the dry air (8%-15% Rh) that everyone is sick and you cant buy Sudafed at the stores because they are all sold out.

This is going to get a lot uglier before it gets better. It looks like fighting fire is going to be a full time hobby for everyone this season.