Nugget Shooter Forums

Prospecting without being a claim jumper

dogbone

Do I have to keep paying the BLM to send me a copy of every section of river I may want to prospect? If you find an interesting section of river without any markers or mining signs, wouldn't you first want to scratch around to see if there is any gold before you try and claim it or see if it is already claimed....?

BLM and Forest Circus both have land status maps that have huge areas on them. 1/640,000 ifn' memory serves me(pardon senior moments). The FS are MUCH superior in detail,clarity and more current. In kalif they have a massive computer system here in redding and all the latest greatest chartography software and SUPERB prining capabilities. Nuttn' beats boots on the ground,binoculars and a few minutes a looking for signs and monuments. If someone cares they usually try to have well marked BUT just replaced 11 signs on 3 of my local claims in the past few days--. The county tax office has righteous maps to get down to the nitty gritty and then BLM backup info rocks too. John :miner:

Thanks John. Last year I started at the local BLM office here in Eureka and was told I could get the info I wanted off their RL2000 program. That was a good find and although it said there were alot of mines where I wanted to dig/claim it showed they were all closed or abondoned. This was good news to me as the place I was scratching around had no signs and no markers. Until the owner showed up one day. That really sucked for both of us. He was nice enough to let me pan for the rest of the day but "don't be here tomorrow." He was understanding about how hard it was to find out if an area was claimed or not. I also understood how hard it must be to have a claim but have to constantly put signs back up and monuments. So the RL2000 wasn't up to date. Just to make sure he wasn't pulling my leg I drove two hours with my buddy to the county tax office in Weaverville. They said they didn't have those records, we would have to talk to BLM. Dang it! Eventually the RL2000 program was good to look up the township and coordinate numbers. With this info I could call up the Central office in Sacramento to get the info. I wanted. It is nice to know they will give you the information over the phone. I willingly paid 14$ to get close ups of the area sent to me along with current claim information in case I wanted to call the owners and see if they would allow me to do some panning. Thanks for the information about the FS maps John, I will check them outtoo.

<_< new help in weaverville lazy--all you sought was on them 'puters on the end desk area. Prior info lady was righteous but newbies not so?? bummer-so you got 140 pages from BLM or has the dime a page changed??-inquiring minds would like to know-thanx for any info also-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

<_< new help in weaverville lazy--all you sought was on them 'puters on the end desk area. Prior info lady was righteous but newbies not so?? bummer-so you got 140 pages from BLM or has the dime a page changed??-inquiring minds would like to know-thanx for any info also-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Lazy is not even the right word.. incompetence comes to mind. The assessors office always has that info but They must have been to stupid or lazy in their job as a public servant! I would have asked the claim owner where his discovery marker is or was?

Now I remember about Weaverville. We forgot to bring the township coordinate information along with us. Doh! Even though we could show them on the map the area we wanted to know about they needed the numbers...and no, we couldn't use their computers to look them up. It wasn't a complete waste of time though, we had plenty of time to prospect before heading back to Eureka. Anyway after calling the Sacramento BLM office, I believe for $14 I got the information in the mail a week later on about six claims in the streach of river I was curious about. Each claim had three pages to them, a map of the claim, type of claim information and information about the owner of the claim. Very interesting. So for $14 I got 18 pages of good information. Now that I know all the hoops to jump through it will be way easier the next time. Here is a question for you John, I was checking out the Forest Service website and all the maps but I couldn't locate one with mining claims on it. What do they call it? Also I noticed on a gold prospecting website they have individual up to date maps of each state through google earth. Have you seen one of these? I wonder if it is the same google earth information/map BLM has on their website.

Wow from 10 cent a page to 75?? must check,thanx for the info.Land stat maps show who has jurisdiction and whats private only. The website only shows info gleaned from old GeoCom and highly inaccurate same same. I refuse to pay for web site info and don't do google so can't comment except friends who bought ,I used for free,and the info changed,close ups blurred and not real time info,mostly old old old?? Anyone pay for the $200+ version I would REALLY like to know others impressions?? Old dredge dog does luv new tricks-any other REAL TIME SITES?? thanx much-John :brows:

El Dorado, I just remembered that there actually was a marker. At the time though, I thought the small pile of rocks was meant as a trail marker. I know better now. There were no signs though. Six months later and there are still no signs. Oh well.

John, now days the process of scanning a page and printing it out is very labor intensive. Today the copy price includes the labor of four employees. One to push the scan and print buttons, one to give advice, another for moral support and one just to watch. Thanks for the information John. I might give the California one a try anyway. It is only $14 bucks. I everything $14 bucks these days?