Nugget Shooter Forums

Headphones?

Hi everyone, Im new to this Metal Detecting. Was wondering if any of you heard of Sun Ray headphones? I believe they have a line of headphones called Sun Ray Pro "Gold". If anyone has any info on these headphones good or bad? I heard they outperform Koss UR 30. Thanks Jack

Sun Ray Gold Pro is what I wear.

They have individual ear vol. controls which I really need,

I've got hopeless hearing and these help a lot.

They have a switch that mutes the sound, a real bonus at times.

They are better than, much better than imho, the stock headphones that come with ML.

They do not get too tiring on the ears, they work well in the wind.

Are they better than any other 'phones?

No,

but they are one of the top earphones and very well made.

I have had them ripped off my head in the brush, snagged on branches

crunched in the back of the truck, they don't break.

I like them a lot.

Flak

Thanks Flak for the info on the Sun Ray headphones. Sounds like some tough headphones. Durability is a must out in the bush of the desert. I just never heard of these headphones before. Again Thanks Jack

Used Calrad for over 30 years,mono or stereo,dual volume control for us ol'farts,dual size plug ins and fantastic impedence for the minutest specks(GB2 especially and TLST) I do not sell anymore and can afford anything I want(single no boss) and still use'm after trying anything and everything made I could find or read about --tons a au 2 u 2 -John

• Like 1

Used Calrad for over 30 years,mono or stereo,dual volume control for us ol'farts,dual size plug ins and fantastic impedence for the minutest specks(GB2 especially and TLST) I do not sell anymore and can afford anything I want(single no boss) and still use'm after trying anything and everything made I could find or read about --tons a au 2 u 2 -John

I also use the SunRay pros when it is windy or noisy as they cut out most outside noise, normally use the Koss UR-30 or my Bose IE2

Hey everyone THANKS for the info on the headphones. Really appreciate the feedback. Jack

• 1 year later...

Lots of good headphones out there but I don't think anyone beats detectorpro (grey ghost) for service. Mine are always getting soaked, hit with my pick. have boulders dropped on them, slide over cliffs etc. etc... and they hold up very well. Boy- you ought to see my head.

I used the Gray Ghosts for very many years, and still use them. I did get the Sun Ray Pro Gold a few years ago also. And I am surprised you desert rats did not mention one thing. The Sun Ray units use a soft leather ear muff, which I prefer over vinyl when it gets hot and sweaty out. In fact, I just bought a new set of Pro Golds yesterday. They have a new model specially wired to also work with the CTX 3030 so I picked up a pair of those. They look and act just like the regular Pro Gold but cost like $10 more.

Good phones.

Steve Herschbach

Steve's Mining Journal

And I like my sunrays at the beach...however the plastic broke on mine down in Oz when it was very cold...but I used some leather and glue and fixed them better than ever they were...

For an inexpensive alternative try some Sony type ear buds that hang over your ears and the speaker fits just in your ears...you will need a 1/4 inch adaptor....yes, Flak, I know they aren't the same quality sound as some but they do have their place...especially if you wear a broad-brim hat...or suffer some forms of hearing loss or want ot hear what is going on around you while detecting...

Steve, how are they different for the 3030? my sunrays and cheapy Sonys eem to work fine...

fred

I was wondering who here in the forum uses one sided headphones, such as the stinger by Killer B's, or the rattler headphones? What did you think about them, and would you recommend any others. A lot of times I find myself hanging one of my headphones on the side of my head, which bugs the hell out of me, to hear my surrounding environment. Sure did save my hide on one occasion, as I heard a swarm of bees, and if I did not hear them, I am sure I would have ended up right in the middle of them. Even better, a lot of times Im hunting with buddies, not within visual range, and would never hear a help, if something happened

Oh !!! and they should be half the price right ???? :stupidrb:

Thanks for the help...

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave

The CTX automatically detects headphones made for it and adjusts the audio accordingly when phones are used. Headphones not wired properly will run with a lot less volume and the external speaker may keep working also. Some work - some do not. See this Minelab Knowledge Base Article:

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/93182/CTX-3030-Audio-Options-KBA_21-2.pdf

I'm surprised the Black Widows haven't popped up on this thread...I do have to wear on off one ear cause of Joe NoShoulders because the BWs absolutely block all out side sound short of a nearby gunshot---Cheers, Unc

I have a pair of black widows myself but am not happy with them at all. Just feel I might be missing some signals because they don't seem like they are amplifying as much as the ones I used to have. Had a pair of KW-100. These were made by Koss in conjunction with Whites back in the 90's. Great sound but not made for field use. Also had a pair of Koss TD-81's that were pretty good but can't find them anymore. Am at a loss as what to use now. Whatever it is, it needs to have volume controls for each ear.

Steve

Edited by Goldfinger

Really like my Sunray Pro Gold. They have leather ear cuffs which require a little care after each use but don't make my ears get hot or sweat profusely like the vinyl cuffs on other headsets use. Dual volume control and a limiter switch as well as a mono/stereo switch cpntrols are really good for multiple detector use. The sound quality is excellent for these old and too much rifle shot without protection ears during my college days on the rifle team. They are far superior to the Koss UR30's that come with the ML GPX detectors. They are on the top tear of the price range but well worth it.

Mike F

I've tried a lot of headphones (wasted a lot of money) until I sprung for a set of Sunray Pros. I can say that they are without a doubt the best phones money can buy. Yes they cost the most, but you do get what you pay for: they block more outside noise, have a tougher cord and are more comfortable than any other. The extra cost is negligible when you calculate it out over time... and they have a lifetime warranty. You won't regret buying a pair.

For those that are having a hearing problem NOT a comfort problem...get your ears tested...you may have hearing loss or maybe just need to clean the wax out!!!

and for 20 bucks you could gamble on the little Sonys I mentioned...buy them at walmart and you can probably return them...

fred